By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - MGSV costs 80 million to develop.

Guitarguy said:
KingdomHeartsFan said:

If they sell 10m copies Konami will make over $250m.  They get roughly $27 cut from each game sold, they will easily turn profit.

The $27 per unit sold is only when it is sold at full retail price. We know that as the price of the game declines over time, the profit also diminishes. If it sells 10 million units at full RRP I will eat my hat lol. I'm just trying to see things from the other side of the coin.

True but they only need to sell 3m at full price to make 80m, which should happen.  They won't have any trouble turning a profit on this game.

Around the Network
KingdomHeartsFan said:
Guitarguy said:

The $27 per unit sold is only when it is sold at full retail price. We know that as the price of the game declines over time, the profit also diminishes. If it sells 10 million units at full RRP I will eat my hat lol. I'm just trying to see things from the other side of the coin.

True but they only need to sell 3m at full price to make 80m, which should happen.  They won't have any trouble turning a profit on this game.

Fair point. I just don't think Konami would be happy with just turning a decent profit(ie  30-60 million profit).

ArchangelMadzz said:

Games are probably cheapest in the USA. MGSV will go on sale for about 80$+ in the UK.

huh?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Metal-Gear-Solid-Phantom-Pain/dp/B00D781HS6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1438618247&sr=8-1&keywords=metal+gear+solid+5

65$ includig sales taxes...

ethomaz said:
The Witcher 3 costs $67m between game and marketing.

I don't see the big deal here.

67$ for both only?
that's much less than 80m develpment only and way less than i thought.

the witcher is also on 3 platforms, while mgsV won't have any pc sales. only low last gen sales (without the still huge ps3 software sales in japan i suspect they wouldn't even bother to do the last gen version)

i believe the witcher 3 will sell more than mgs v lifetime
the wither 3 must be a huge commercial success

endy.G said:

67$ for both only?

the witcher is also on 3 platforms, while mgsV won't have any pc sales. only low last gen sales (without the still huge ps3 software sales in japan i suspect they wouldn't even bother to do the last gen version)

I really disagree with all your comments

$80m is for the game and marketing... I can be wrong but that is what I got from the original source.

MGSV is in more plataforms than The Witchers... that means it will cost more to developer to all these plataforms.

MGSV will sell a lot more than The Witcher 3... there is no comparision here... twice or more.

The Witcher 3 is a commercial success... MGSV will be too in day one.

Around the Network
ethomaz said:

endy.G said:

67$ for both only?

$80m is for the game and marketing... I can be wrong but that is what I got from the original source.

MGSV is in more plataforms than The Witchers... that means it will cost more to developer to all these plataforms.

MGSV will sell a lot more than The Witcher 3... there is no comparision here... twice or more.

The Witcher 3 is a commercial success... MGSV will be too in day one.

no the 80m is only for development and even as of april 2015
depending on the staff numbers that still works on metal gear etc to finsh and polish the game, this could also increase to 85 million until launch in september :O

Jesus, this Nikkei article on Konami. $80+ million spent on MGS5's dev as of April if it's to be believed.

https://twitter.com/iiotenki

ofc only if the figures form the report are right and tue. there can't be 100% certainty
but they say development costs only
i can't see how you can still be so positive about all this news. this is very bad and even sad for konami

for comparison:
watch dogs was 67m $ development costs...

edit: bum i'm wrong at one point. this game does come to pc. just later.
sorry for that. in that case i see it selling more than witcher 3, if all is said and done

That's pretty expensive, but I have no doubt this game is going to end up bringing in a pretty good profit.

Wii U NNID:  CWegzz
3DS Friend Code:  4210-5277-5484
PSN:  Ronnoc4
Steam:  CWegz

ethomaz said:

endy.G said:

67$ for both only?

Read it again.

bananaking21 said:
while 80 million certainly is A LOT. MGSV will make those back in just a few hours of sales and will easily be profitable day one.

Now, just think if the game had a normal budget.

Boutros said:

That's pretty much expected. And they already recouped a lot of that with Ground Zeroes so it's pretty much certain to make a profit which makes you wonder what was really going on at Konami. Because there shouldn't be a problem if in the end it's profitable. Also for all we know it includes the development of the Fox Engine which is also used for PES.

Because breaking even or small profit isnt the goal, especially on pillar franchises.