By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - MGSV costs 80 million to develop.

starcraft said:
ArchangelMadzz said:
starcraft said:
bananaking21 said:
while 80 million certainly is A LOT. MGSV will make those back in just a few hours of sales and will easily be profitable day one.

Optimistically assuming that Konami is going to get $30 per copy sold (early on at least) you're looking at a requirement to sell nearly 3 million copies to make a single dollar off the game (2.66 million at that revenue-per-game).

Then there is the marketing budget, which itself could easily be a few tens of millions of dollers. Meaning it will have to sell maybe 4.5- 5 million copies at full price prior to making a dollar's profit (letalone be a good investment return on upwards of $100 million).

It may well make a profit. It may well make a profit sufficient to call it 'worth it.'

It is unlikely to make a profit day one.

Konami will get more than 30 per sale. And especially digital sales they get a very large percentage.

Obviously I am only guesstimating. But for retail sales in the US, it'd be very surprising if they got much more than $30.

And outside of the US most countries don't charge full price for a game, you see discounting from day one (which becomes increasingly dramatic very quickly).

I don't think a $30 average per sale for those first couple of weeks is unrealistic.

Games are probably cheapest in the USA. MGSV will go on sale for about 80$+ in the UK.

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

Around the Network

Seems kind of expensive but maybe it includes marketing.

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

That is What you get by throwing good money on silly things like open world.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

That's pretty much expected. And they already recouped a lot of that with Ground Zeroes so it's pretty much certain to make a profit which makes you wonder what was really going on at Konami. Because there shouldn't be a problem if in the end it's profitable. Also for all we know it includes the development of the Fox Engine which is also used for PES.

Considering MGS4 cost $55 million this is actually very reasonable considering it is on 5 platforms instead of 1, and it is going to be MUCH bigger in scope.

With its larger market it should easily sell 10 million+. Again, Konami is retarded for complaining.

Prediction for console Lifetime sales:

Wii:100-120 million, PS3:80-110 million, 360:70-100 million

[Prediction Made 11/5/2009]

3DS: 65m, PSV: 22m, Wii U: 18-22m, PS4: 80-120m, X1: 35-55m

I gauruntee the PS5 comes out after only 5-6 years after the launch of the PS4.

[Prediction Made 6/18/2014]

Around the Network

Easy to understand, the built the fox engine for this game.

Boutros said:

That's pretty much expected. And they already recouped a lot of that with Ground Zeroes so it's pretty much certain to make a profit which makes you wonder what was really going on at Konami. Because there shouldn't be a problem if in the end it's profitable. Also for all we know it includes the development of the Fox Engine which is also used for PES.

PES wasn't exactly a killer seller though. This is not an Unreal engine we are talking about here where every developer and their dog are throwing money at Konami to use their engine, $80 million dollars is INSANE for a video game no matter how you slice it, especially a Japanese video game where they tend to be more conservative. GTAV cost something like $265 million but has sold something like 50 million copies across 5 platforms and was a staggered, cross generation release. Then you factor in the PC version. Rockstar essentially(and knowingly) double(triple)-dipped, much like studios putting out 'directors cuts' of DVDs/Blu-Rays 6-12 months after a standard release. MGSV, not matter how good it is, won't sell half that amount. It just does not have that universal appeal to gamers and casuals.

PS3/360 software sales are fleeting. MGSV will sell respectably enough on X1 whilst the PC version will probably be pirated by a significant amount of users. The PS4 is where most of its sales will come from but I think Konami won't like having to try and sell 10 million units just to see a decent return. $80 million dollars is far too much of a risk to justify just a decent return... My opinion anyway. Im sure the game will rock. Day one for me whatever happens.

The Witcher 3 costs $67m between game and marketing.

I don't see the big deal here.

Guitarguy said:
Boutros said:

PES wasn't exactly a killer seller though. This is not an Unreal engine we are talking about here where every developer and their dog are throwing money at Konami to use their engine, $80 million dollars is INSANE for a video game no matter how you slice it, especially a Japanese video game where they tend to be more conservative. GTAV cost something like $265 million but has sold something like 50 million copies across 5 platforms and was a staggered, cross generation release. Then you factor in the PC version. Rockstar essentially(and knowingly) double(triple)-dipped, much like studios putting out 'directors cuts' of DVDs/Blu-Rays 6-12 months after a standard release. MGSV, not matter how good it is, won't sell half that amount. It just does not have that universal appeal to gamers and casuals.

PS3/360 software sales are fleeting. MGSV will sell respectably enough on X1 whilst the PC version will probably be pirated by a significant amount of users. The PS4 is where most of its sales will come from but I think Konami won't like having to try and sell 10 million units just to see a decent return. $80 million dollars is far too much of a risk to justify just a decent return... My opinion anyway. Im sure the game will rock. Day one for me whatever happens.

If they sell 10m copies Konami will make over $250m.  They get roughly $27 cut from each game sold, they will easily turn profit.

KingdomHeartsFan said:
Guitarguy said:

If they sell 10m copies Konami will make over $250m.  They get roughly $27 cut from each game sold, they will easily turn profit.

The $27 per unit sold is only when it is sold at full retail price. We know that as the price of the game declines over time, the profit also diminishes. If it sells 10 million units at full RRP I will eat my hat lol. I'm just trying to see things from the other side of the coin.