By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Tomb Raider Xbox exclusivity: Square knew it would disappoint fans - decision wasn’t easy

Protendo said:
Machiavellian said:

I guess you did not understand as I said PS4 gamers.  There is no one crying about exclusive this or that if its their platform getting the exclusive.  I do now know any gamers pissed on the X1 end about it not being completely exclusive, perplex yes but pissed no.  Why would X1 gamers be pissed that the game takes a year to come out on the PS4.  What exactly makes this a bad decision for a X1 only gamer.  Not understanding that logic.  

Nothing you stated refute what I stated.  Only gamers who care about the platform they have a person interest in care about another system getting an exclusive no matter what the situation is. 

Some Xbox fans feel lied to understandably. Some people take that to more of an extreme. I know Xbox fans who are really upset over being lied to, who went around saying it was an Xbox One exclusive and played into the Microsoft PR game, and they felt like Microsoft made a fool of them.

This must be a very small group because I am trying to find the lying part.   The whole exclusive thing was made clear during E3 so not sure where you getting this lying part since it was like one day before it was revealed as timed.  Really when all is said and done, only fanboys care about exclusive or not exclusive.  If you like games and want to play the best games on the platform you own, as long as TR is one of those top games why would it matter if it comes to the PS4 a year later.  I am just feeling you are pulling stuff out of the air because games usually just like to play good games more than forum politics.

Around the Network
WC4Life said:
FloatingWaffles said:

Sony did not greenlight SFV by paying for it, them paying for it simply made it release sooner than later, just as Microsoft is doing with Tomb Raider.

You're acting like Street Fighter V would have never been made without Sony funding it, and we both know that is not true. Street Fighter V would have released eventually anyway, all Sony did is pay for it to come out sooner and in turn put it console-wise only on PS4, same thing Microsoft did with Tomb Raider.

They are the exact same thing whether you wanna agree or not.

I believe it was Yoshinori Ono (SF producer) who said he had trouble getting SFV funded and then Sony stepped in and that essentially led to greenlitting SFV. If a game does not have budget, you can't consider it greenlit just because it has high chance of being made in the future. The game might not happen at all. And if it did, there is no proof it would be multi-platform. SFV did not exist as a game while RoTTR did and that is the difference. Sony was willing to take the risk from the very start. Microsoft just lessened the risk for SE mid-development. You could say SFV is Sony's game like Scalebound is for Microsoft. Sony is making a game while Microsoft bought a game for limited time. There is a huge difference.

Remember how Square Enix talked about the original Tomb Raider's sales and how they did not meet their expectations? One could easily assume that Square Enix were a bit worried about RoTTR and looked for someone to help fund the game and publish it for them. Microsoft came along and helped them by funding it and publishing it, and in return got a 1 year console-timed exclusivity for their system.

Street Figher V probably wouldn't have released for years and in looking to release it sooner they looked after someone to help fund the game to finish it for them. Along came Sony and helped them by funding it and in return got console-exclusive and it will release on PC.

Also how would you in any way know if SFV did not exist as a game? You wouldn't. Just like Tomb Raider, SFV was probably in development and they looked for somebody else to help finish funding it since they were uncertain if they had the funds to develop it themselves. Of  course this is just me speaking, none of us will ever know. Out of all the franchises Capcom has do you really think Street Fighter would be one of them they would stop making games of? Like I said, Sony funding SFV only made the game come out sooner, if it weren't for them funding it the game would probably still be only a few years away.

The situations are exactly the same, I don't know how you can't see this.

Machiavellian said:
WC4Life said:

I believe it was Yoshinori Ono (SF producer) who said he had trouble getting SFV funded and then Sony stepped in and that essentially led to greenlitting SFV. If a game does not have budget, you can't consider it greenlit just because it has high chance of being made in the future. The game might not happen at all. And if it did, there is no proof it would be multi-platform. SFV did not exist as a game while RoTTR did and that is the difference. Sony was willing to take the risk from the very start. Microsoft just lessened the risk for SE mid-development. You could say SFV is Sony's game like Scalebound is for Microsoft. Sony is making a game while Microsoft bought a game for limited time. There is a huge difference.

There is no difference.  Square shopped around TR and MS was more than happy to help pay for development and advertisement of the product. No one knows how the deal got done or if Sony was given a chance the end result is that MS was willing to make a deal.  Sega shopped around for someone to fund SFV and Sony was more than happy to help pay for development and advertisement.  No one knows if MS was given a chance to make an offer but it does not matter because in the end Sony made the deal. The thing that gets these stories out of wack is when gamers add their own opinion to the mix to justify what they say.  If you can show any evidence that TR or SFV were in or not in a state to be released for the other system then provide that evidence but right now, I see no difference in both situations.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/ono-says-no-budget-for-street-fighter-v/1100-6411507/

There, SFV was not being made for any platform. It is real that Sony played key role to make SFV happen.

Can you show the PS4 version of RoTTR was not in development?

I cannot imagine toilet-free life.

Kebabs have a unique attribute compared to other consumables. To unlock this effect you need to wolf down a big ass kebab really fast, like under 10 minutes or so and wait for the effect to kick in. If done correctly your movements should feel unbelievably heavy to the point where you literally cannot move at all.

-Downtown Alanya Kebab magazine issue no.198

FloatingWaffles said:

Remember how Square Enix talked about the original Tomb Raider's sales and how they did not meet their expectations? One could easily assume that Square Enix were a bit worried about RoTTR and looked for someone to help fund the game and publish it for them. Microsoft came along and helped them by funding it and publishing it, and in return got a 1 year console-timed exclusivity for their system.

Street Figher V probably wouldn't have released for years and in looking to release it sooner they looked after someone to help fund the game to finish it for them. Along came Sony and helped them by funding it and in return got console-exclusive and it will release on PC.

Also how would you in any way know if SFV did not exist as a game? You wouldn't. Just like Tomb Raider, SFV was probably in development and they looked for somebody else to help finish funding it since they were uncertain if they had the funds to develop it themselves. Of  course this is just me speaking, none of us will ever know. Out of all the franchises Capcom has do you really think Street Fighter would be one of them they would stop making games of? Like I said, Sony funding SFV only made the game come out sooner, if it weren't for them funding it the game would probably still be only a few years away.

The bolded part.....finish

SFV was not in development.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/ono-says-no-budget-for-street-fighter-v/1100-6411507/

The only way what you are saying is true if Yoshinori Ono would have been publicly spreading lies.

I must say you have pretty wide net to clump together different circumstances.

I cannot imagine toilet-free life.

Kebabs have a unique attribute compared to other consumables. To unlock this effect you need to wolf down a big ass kebab really fast, like under 10 minutes or so and wait for the effect to kick in. If done correctly your movements should feel unbelievably heavy to the point where you literally cannot move at all.

-Downtown Alanya Kebab magazine issue no.198

Sharpryno said:
BMaker11 said:

This is absolutely false in ever sense of the word. I'll have to edit in links later, since I'm on mobile, but the initial reveal had no platform mentioned. It was just announced at the XBOne E3 conference. No mentioning of a platform typically means multiplatform. 

Well, come Gamescom, it's was announced as an XBOne exclusive. After fan outrage (this was Tomb Raider, after all. A franchise more close associated with PS and PC), it was clarified as an "Xbox exclusive". That meant XBOne and XB360. Then, it came out that it was "holiday exclusive". Then finally "the deal has a duration". 

You can look up the timeline yourself; I'll add links later. But at no point was MS "perfectly clear" about the situation. If you you really believe that they made it clear from the beginning that it was only ever gonna be timed, then you've got some revisionist history going on. 

It was announced as "coming exclusive to xbox holiday 2015".  MS does not have to make it clear, they are the publisher.  They control when things get announced.  

How come Sony did not straight up tell us about having Destiny DLC for a year?   Because they do the same damn thing, They let us sit on rumors for a month or so.   Get over it.   

These are reasons the PCMR laugh at console only gamers.  Dudes just argue over lame stuff.

Nope.

Reveal, with no platform mentioned, just a release window of "holiday 2015": http://www.gamespot.com/articles/e3-2014-rise-of-the-tomb-raider-coming-holiday-2015/1100-6420224/. Obviously, since it was at the XBOne conference, it was assumed that it'd be on that platform. But it was never stated as "coming exclusively"

Gamescom, it's now an XBOne exclusive: http://www.craveonline.com/gaming/articles/741687-gamescom-2014-rise-tomb-raider-xbox-one-exclusive

Then, in the immediate aftermath, CD explains that it's coming holiday 2015 "exclusively on Xbox", so, it now includes the 360: http://tombraider.tumblr.com/post/94529480860/rise-of-the-tomb-raider-update. And don't try and flip the words around because the semantics are important here. "Coming holiday 2015 exclusively to Xbox" and "Coming exclusively to Xbox holiday 2015" are different. The former, which is what they actually said, implies Xbox exclusivity with the game  and it's just releasing during the holiday. The latter, which they didn't say, implies exclusivity for the holiday period. 

Then, they announced "the deal has a duration", the day after Gamescom: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-08-13-microsoft-confirms-rise-of-the-tomb-raider-xbox-exclusivity-deal-has-a-duration

They didn't have to make it clear when the the exclusivity would end, but they did have to make it clear that it would end, and they did everything in their power to avoid doing it.

As far as Destiny have 1 year exclusive content, well: http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Destiny-PS4-PS3-DLC-Exclusive-One-Year-64791.html. That became common knowledge from the jump. So it's not the same. There was nothing to be "rumored" about.

You're awful defensive of things that the quite clearly happened. It's not like I'm distorting facts or something. Everything is pretty obvious. I mean, RotTR was a pretty big issue this time last year.

Around the Network
BMaker11 said:
Sharpryno said:

It was announced as "coming exclusive to xbox holiday 2015".  MS does not have to make it clear, they are the publisher.  They control when things get announced.  

How come Sony did not straight up tell us about having Destiny DLC for a year?   Because they do the same damn thing, They let us sit on rumors for a month or so.   Get over it.   

These are reasons the PCMR laugh at console only gamers.  Dudes just argue over lame stuff.

Nope.

Reveal, with no platform mentioned, just a release window of "holiday 2015": http://www.gamespot.com/articles/e3-2014-rise-of-the-tomb-raider-coming-holiday-2015/1100-6420224/. Obviously, since it was at the XBOne conference, it was assumed that it'd be on that platform. But it was never stated as "coming exclusively"

Gamescom, it's now an XBOne exclusive: http://www.craveonline.com/gaming/articles/741687-gamescom-2014-rise-tomb-raider-xbox-one-exclusive

Then, in the immediate aftermath, CD explains that it's coming holiday 2015 "exclusively on Xbox", so, it now includes the 360: http://tombraider.tumblr.com/post/94529480860/rise-of-the-tomb-raider-update. And don't try and flip the words around because the semantics are important here. "Coming holiday 2015 exclusively to Xbox" and "Coming exclusively to Xbox holiday 2015" are different. The former, which is what they actually said, implies Xbox exclusivity with the game  and it's just releasing during the holiday. The latter, which they didn't say, implies exclusivity for the holiday period. 

Then, they announced "the deal has a duration", the day after Gamescom: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-08-13-microsoft-confirms-rise-of-the-tomb-raider-xbox-exclusivity-deal-has-a-duration

They didn't have to make it clear when the the exclusivity would end, but they did have to make it clear that it would end, and they did everything in their power to avoid doing it.

As far as Destiny have 1 year exclusive content, well: http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Destiny-PS4-PS3-DLC-Exclusive-One-Year-64791.html. That became common knowledge from the jump. So it's not the same. There was nothing to be "rumored" about.

You're awful defensive of things that the quite clearly happened. It's not like I'm distorting facts or something. Everything is pretty obvious. I mean, RotTR was a pretty big issue this time last year.

Nice post. Just one thing to add.

"Phil draws parallels to games like Dead Rising, Titanfall and Ryse - games that Microsoft has invested in and supported, but which have appeared on other platforms."

http://www.kotaku.co.uk/2014/08/13/xboxs-phil-spencer-responds-tomb-raider-exclusivity-questions

He purposely used games not on PS4 to draw a comparison.

One of the many quotes from Phil himself:

"Where this thing will go over time, just like Dead Rising or Ryse, we'll see what happens with the game."

WC4Life said:
FloatingWaffles said:

The only way what you are saying is true if Yoshinori Ono would have been publicly spreading lies.

That article was from July of 2013. Also you seem to be mistaking that he might not have had the budget or team THEN, he never said they would never have the budget unless you are just reading things that are not there. As I said before, do you think Capcom is just going to leave Street Fighter? The game would have eventually started development anyway, the only thing Sony DID was get it out sooner than that by funding it themselves.  I don't know why you are having such a hard time grasping this. 

They are the same situation, once again whether you wanna agree or not. 

FloatingWaffles said:
WC4Life said:

That article was from July of 2013. Also you seem to be mistaking that he might not have had the budget or team THEN. As I said before, do you think Capcom is just going to leave Street Fighter? The game would have eventually started development anyway

I'm glad you can predict the future on a comapny with shaky financials before the announcement. All the evidence is against you, but you keep trying with no evidence. 

Protendo said:

Nice post. Just one thing to add.

"Phil draws parallels to games like Dead Rising, Titanfall and Ryse - games that Microsoft has invested in and supported, but which have appeared on other platforms."

http://www.kotaku.co.uk/2014/08/13/xboxs-phil-spencer-responds-tomb-raider-exclusivity-questions

He purposely used games not on PS4 to draw a comparison.

One of the many quotes from Phil himself:

"Where this thing will go over time, just like Dead Rising or Ryse, we'll see what happens with the game."

And this was during the "this deal has a duration" statement. So, when they had a chance to clarify, they still didn't. 

I mean, I get it. They want it to do well on XBOne, so they don't trumpet to the heavens that it was coming to PS4. But why not just say it's timed exclusive, and market it as "the best place to play this is on Xbox" or something of that nature. Why circumvent people's questions for so long? On every timed full game or indie on PS4, Sony says "console debut", and that's good enough for everyone and we hear no complaints. Why was MS so shady about TR?

Expand the franchise by severely limiting the potential customers for a year... yeah, great decision.

Hope this doesn't damage the franchise in the long-term.