By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Tomb Raider Xbox exclusivity: Square knew it would disappoint fans - decision wasn’t easy

ethomaz said:

Mr Puggsly said:

Hey, if you don't like TR or AC that's fine. But you enjoy Destiny so your opinions mean less.

I didn't mention SFV in the same context. SE shouldn't have to respond to whiny Sony fans, MS fans aren't bothering Capcom at the same level. I don't expect an apology from Capcom for going exclusive.

Most of Destiny is doing the same thing over and over for many hours hoping you get a piece of rare armor... Destiny is lame.

While I believe a lot of people didn't like Destiny (it is fair) I don't get the rate behind it... just because a lot of gamers found what made Destiny different and special didn't make my opinion less important that others.

It is not like Howard Stern talked about Destiny and "Gally horn" in his program today... oh wait he did in the middle of a conversation... the game is doing something right, no?

Destiny didnt really do anything particularly unique. Its like Halo, Borderlands, Diablo but souless. Frankly, Destiny is okay. I dont really hate it as much as you think. But man... its so bleh.

I dont really listen to Stern anymore because he has become a boring PC lefty. But I know he looks down on gamers. He used to talk about CoD a lot just to insult adult players.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network

Guys, I think if we are going to compare games with the same situation as RoTR, then SFV is the wrong game to compare.

The FF7 R would be more comparable to RoTR which coincidentally is also an Square Enix IP.

Dr.Vita said:

Microsoft’s “passion”

I want some "passion" too, i need to buy something.

Madword said:
Teeqoz said:
As long as the game is good, all is well. It'll come to the three (four) platforms it would've come to regardless, and they get MS' help and money to make the game as good as it can be. Sure, PS4 owners that want it will have to wait another year, but there's plenty to play in the meantime, so I don't see any reason to complain.

The reason to complain is that a game people have supported (and remember Sony players have supported the last TR game more than XBox users)... now have to wait 1 year to get the next game.

It's not a way to reward your loyal userbase :)

When have any exclusive 3rd party deal rewards the userbase?  These deals are not about rewarding platform holders its to finance a project to reduce risk.  

Machiavellian said:
Madword said:

The reason to complain is that a game people have supported (and remember Sony players have supported the last TR game more than XBox users)... now have to wait 1 year to get the next game.

When have any exclusive 3rd party deal rewards the userbase?  These deals are not about rewarding platform holders its to finance a project to reduce risk.  

There was a hint of sarcasm in that statement... of course they are not rewarding the userbase.... it just makes the userbase who supported you angry.

Unless they move the date away from Fallout 4 the game is going to fail hard, and unfortunately the year break for PS4...this could really damage the brand going forward... but we shall see as I dont have a crystal ball, but i think I feel pretty confident that this game will sell less than the last one on 360/XBO unless it's bundled to death.

Making an indie game : Dead of Day!

Around the Network
Teeqoz said:
Madword said:

Can you not wait the year? You've already waited one year since the reveal. Besides, the game will likely be better thanks to Microsoft funding, surely a better game is a good thing?

A year is a pretty long time.....

What you must remember is that gaming is based on hype, in 1 years time after some people have already played it and new fresh games will be coming out... most people will have lost interest. 

Madword said:
Teeqoz said:

Can you not wait the year? You've already waited one year since the reveal. Besides, the game will likely be better thanks to Microsoft funding, surely a better game is a good thing?

What you must remember is that gaming is based on hype, in 1 years time after some people have already played it and new fresh games will be coming out... most people will have lost interest. 

You can't complain just because you will have lost hype when the game releases, you'll still get the game (a better one than had it not been XBO timed) and you can buy it if you want.

Teeqoz said:
Madword said:

You can't complain just because you will have lost hype when the game releases, you'll still get the game (a better one than had it not been XBO timed) and you can buy it if you want.

Of course I can complain about the game being released a year late, ...the rest of the information is just extra stuff why I think the game will fail. 

I have already said i wont get the game day 1 because i wont reward this type of thing.

Madword said:
Machiavellian said:

There was a hint of sarcasm in that statement... of course they are not rewarding the userbase.... it just makes the userbase who supported you angry.

Unless they move the date away from Fallout 4 the game is going to fail hard, and unfortunately the year break for PS4...this could really damage the brand going forward... but we shall see as I dont have a crystal ball, but i think I feel pretty confident that this game will sell less than the last one on 360/XBO unless it's bundled to death.

I have no clue how TR will sell.  I still believe its future is dependant on how well it reviews.  Halo and Fallout are not grand slams they also depend on solid reviews. Even if the game does not sell better than the last one, development cost was paid by MS so the cushion for the developer is that they can continue to improve the game and its tech on someone else dime.

I know from personal experience, I never get a Bethesa game until after a month for all the bugs to iron out so I probably will be playing TR depending on the gameplay.

ethomaz said:
My opinion.

This game will bomb and Square will regret this decision.

But it is Square after all and they will cry like they did with past Tomb Raider saying it didn't reach the expectations... your fault, your fault.

Indeed Etho-Sensei. I actually remember that, prior to the remake of FF VII, Square stated that they would not release the game due to the more current Final Fantasy games not being up to par sales wise with VII, VIII, or even IX. Should Rise bomb, then I wonder what Microsoft's next move is?

" It has never been about acknowledgement when you achieve something. When you are acknowledged, then and only then can you achieve something. Always have your friends first to achieve your goals later." - OnlyForDisplay