By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Tomb Raider Xbox exclusivity: Square knew it would disappoint fans - decision wasn’t easy

Machiavellian said:
Madword said:

There was a hint of sarcasm in that statement... of course they are not rewarding the userbase.... it just makes the userbase who supported you angry.

Unless they move the date away from Fallout 4 the game is going to fail hard, and unfortunately the year break for PS4...this could really damage the brand going forward... but we shall see as I dont have a crystal ball, but i think I feel pretty confident that this game will sell less than the last one on 360/XBO unless it's bundled to death.

I have no clue how TR will sell.  I still believe its future is dependant on how well it reviews.  Halo and Fallout are not grand slams they also depend on solid reviews. Even if the game does not sell better than the last one, development cost was paid by MS so the cushion for the developer is that they can continue to improve the game and its tech on someone else dime.

I know from personal experience, I never get a Bethesa game until after a month for all the bugs to iron out so I probably will be playing TR depending on the gameplay.

I doubt MS paid for development cost otherwise it would have been full exclusive.  If it's is timed exclusive, they definitely helped in the funding but paying full development cost for a timed exclusives doesn't make sense.

Around the Network
Angelv577 said:
Machiavellian said:

I have no clue how TR will sell.  I still believe its future is dependant on how well it reviews.  Halo and Fallout are not grand slams they also depend on solid reviews. Even if the game does not sell better than the last one, development cost was paid by MS so the cushion for the developer is that they can continue to improve the game and its tech on someone else dime.

I know from personal experience, I never get a Bethesa game until after a month for all the bugs to iron out so I probably will be playing TR depending on the gameplay.

I doubt MS paid for development cost otherwise it would have been full exclusive.  If it's is timed exclusive, they definitely helped in the funding but paying full development cost for a timed exclusives doesn't make sense.

Desperation makes you do weird things. Look at that NFL deal. They could of funded many AAA games with that. *sigh*

I honestly don't understand what they are doing, nothing suprises me anymore.

Protendo said:
Angelv577 said:

Desperation makes you do weird things. Look at that NFL deal. They could of funded many AAA games with that. *sigh*

I honestly don't understand what they are doing, nothing suprises me anymore.

Money for one thing does not mean its taking away money for another.  You could easily say that Money Sony wasted with Home could have funded a few AAA projects as well.

As for MS, its pretty easy to understand why they do what they do.  They want an entertainment system not just a console.  Deals like the NFL deals and ESPN and other non gaming deals are there to pull in non gamers.  MS want to get those people using their services so they become dependant on those services and purchase content.  There is noting obtuse about MS direction at least during Don M times.  Now MS has pulled back away from those non gaming type deals and trying to make more gaming deals.

Machiavellian said:
Madword said:

There was a hint of sarcasm in that statement... of course they are not rewarding the userbase.... it just makes the userbase who supported you angry.

Unless they move the date away from Fallout 4 the game is going to fail hard, and unfortunately the year break for PS4...this could really damage the brand going forward... but we shall see as I dont have a crystal ball, but i think I feel pretty confident that this game will sell less than the last one on 360/XBO unless it's bundled to death.

Well some people will not buy a bethesda game on release like yourself and that's fine (some wont buy one at all), but were not talking about a small minority here, were talking about the person on the street, the avergage gamer.... FO4 will be massive. 

The two biggest games of of Christmas will definately be FO4 and Battlefront, I have no doubts at all. Coming out the same week as FO4 is crazy, it will definately damage it in terms of sales. I dont think many people will disagree with that.

I am still waiting for a delay but with games around it, it's a bit difficult to do that. 

Making an indie game : Dead of Day!

Madword said:
Machiavellian said:

Well some people will not buy a bethesda game on release like yourself and that's fine (some wont buy one at all), but were not talking about a small minority here, were talking about the person on the street, the avergage gamer.... FO4 will be massive. 

The two biggest games of of Christmas will definately be FO4 and Battlefront, I have no doubts at all. Coming out the same week as FO4 is crazy, it will definately damage it in terms of sales. I dont think many people will disagree with that.

I am still waiting for a delay but with games around it, it's a bit difficult to do that. 

Yes, Battlefront has the Potential to be big but nothing is set in stone until these games actually release.  Even FO4 is not immune to unspectacular reviews.  I personally do not see any reason for a delay if the Devs are confident in their product.  The game does not have to sell gang buster out of the gate so over the course of a year, it probably will easily make its mony as long as its a AAA game.