By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Tomb Raider Xbox exclusivity: Square knew it would disappoint fans - decision wasn’t easy

It's going to sell less than the last game, that's for sure.

Around the Network
Valdath said:
It's going to sell less than the last game, that's for sure.

Last one sold 8.5 million and somehow SE was disappointed.  Well they were disappointed with earlier sales.  By partnering with MS, they reduce risks like that almost completely.   But yeah, I don't expect it to get that high. 

Sharpryno said:

Can you imagine all the hate the MS haters would have spewed out if it was MS getting the Shenmue deal?

I don't think a lot of people would have been as distraught as the whole RoTR deal. Shenume was on Xbox. It never saw a PS release up until this point. I would have thought it would have been natural for Shenmue to be on Xbox. It seems....right, you know? It's unfortunate that they aren't getting it. I do agree that this "pot calling the kettle black" is getting out of hand. Both MS and Sony do it.

PSN ID- RayCrocheron82

XBL Gamertag- RAFIE82

NNID- RAFIE82/ Friend Code: SW-6006-2580-8237

YouTube- Rafie Crocheron

Nicklesbe said:

It was never exclusive. Ever. It was made perfectly clear, despite many people's innocent and others intentional misunderstanding of the original announcement. It was made clear it was only ever going to be timed. Which was confirmed and reconfirmed for months from Xbox and SE representatives over twitter and in interviews. There has never been any doubt among most gamers who watched it with clear eyes that it would eventually be on Ps4. Many hoped and insisted that it wouldn't despite the overwhelming evidence and confirmations at the time from both SE and Xbox representatives. This was not a decision that was made later down the line. This was a decision that was made and known from the start. MS paid for a head start and for them to keep quiet as much as possible without flat out lying to consumers about that head start. I'm glad to see this finally confirms that. Thanks for sharing it.

This is absolutely false in ever sense of the word. I'll have to edit in links later, since I'm on mobile, but the initial reveal had no platform mentioned. It was just announced at the XBOne E3 conference. No mentioning of a platform typically means multiplatform. 

Well, come Gamescom, it's was announced as an XBOne exclusive. After fan outrage (this was Tomb Raider, after all. A franchise more close associated with PS and PC), it was clarified as an "Xbox exclusive". That meant XBOne and XB360. Then, it came out that it was "holiday exclusive". Then finally "the deal has a duration". 

You can look up the timeline yourself; I'll add links later. But at no point was MS "perfectly clear" about the situation. If you you really believe that they made it clear from the beginning that it was only ever gonna be timed, then you've got some revisionist history going on. 

Machiavellian said:
V-r0cK said:

There's a fine line between 'greed' and 'business' depending on how you look at it and the company's intention. (ie. just think of some random corrupted businesses)

I would disagree and I would say this is not a smart business.  Look at the comments on this thread and negative reactions on the internet because of this deal from the very beginning.  This 'smart' business is tarnishing the company's name (more so) and the franchise, and this wont be good long-term.   Square "may" come out of this deal fine, but just wait until the next TR installment as they might not be as lucky.

What I found out is that negative in comments mean nothing when it comes to actual sales.  There will always be negative comments because to many gamers have to much agenda in their platform of choice to do anything but be negative.  What will make TR a success is actually reviews of the game and how well gamers receive the game.  The game really does not have to sale gang busters right out of the gate but instead have consistent good sales for months.  Development already paid for so there is no need to recoup sales right away.  Square can be way more patient in recouping cost if the cost was paid by someone else.  If the game proves to be  great and get high reviews, that will keep it selling for months then the whole process can start again when it comes out on Steam.  Do some DLC and other stuff then start the whole process again when it comes out on PS4.

Not sure how this is tarnishing Square.  In one breath you say their name is tarnish but in another you champion them because you get an FF remake.  Gamer are so fickly that relying on comments in thread is pointless.  

How well gamers recieve the game? That depends on how well the gamer feels about it, and again if you read the negativity towards this deal you can say it wont be recieved well, in fact most gamers won't recieve it until after a full year lol.  Reviews can only help so much as there are many well-reviewed games that sold poorly or less then expected.

If it wasn't for negative comments from gamers then the XB1 would've been dead on arrival with their original plan of always needing to connect online, no used game policy, kinect always on etc...

Sure there's plenty of negative comments that are insignificant, but none-the-less should never be taken lightly especially when the comments are nothing but negative (or at least mostly).

Around the Network

It's because Uncharted fans kept messaging me that "Tomb Raider was just a crappy Uncharted copy" (true story! I still have the messages!). That's swayed the game to be M$ exclusive for a year. Maybe now you guys will leave me alone!

Im sure the millions upon millions of dollars wasn't easy to count...

WC4Life said:
FloatingWaffles said:

The circumstances are exactly the same. People mention a lot that Sony is funding development of Street Fighter V, but the game would have released eventually without the funding from Sony either way, it just would have taken a little longer to release. Sony is funding the game to get it out sooner and to keep it console-wise only on PS4, and Microsoft is publishing Rise of the Tomb Raider to keep it console-wise exclusive on Xbox One for a year. Both companies are spending money on a game to keep it on their console and not the other in order to give their system another advantage, the only difference is one of them is timed. Both of them are on PC anyway though so either way none of them are really exclusive. 

RoTTR was already greenlit and well into development when MS stepped in where SFV was basically greenlit because of Sony money. I cannot agree that it is the same thing.

Sony did not greenlight SFV by paying for it, them paying for it simply made it release sooner than later, just as Microsoft is doing with Tomb Raider.

You're acting like Street Fighter V would have never been made without Sony funding it, and we both know that is not true. Street Fighter V would have released eventually anyway, all Sony did is pay for it to come out sooner and in turn put it console-wise only on PS4, same thing Microsoft did with Tomb Raider.

They are the exact same thing whether you wanna agree or not.

Mr Puggsly said:

Hey, if you don't like TR or AC that's fine. But you enjoy Destiny so your opinions mean less.

I didn't mention SFV in the same context. SE shouldn't have to respond to whiny Sony fans, MS fans aren't bothering Capcom at the same level. I don't expect an apology from Capcom for going exclusive.

Most of Destiny is doing the same thing over and over for many hours hoping you get a piece of rare armor... Destiny is lame.

While I believe a lot of people didn't like Destiny (it is fair) I don't get the rate behind it... just because a lot of gamers found what made Destiny different and special didn't make my opinion less important that others.

It is not like Howard Stern talked about Destiny and "Gally horn" in his program today... oh wait he did in the middle of a conversation... the game is doing something right, no?

Sharpryno said:

Man, users on this site LOVE to hate on Microsoft. Yet Sony is doing the same thing, with more games, and buying permanent DLC for multiplats.
Console plebs, are the worst in gaming.  Much worse than the garbage and troll-heavy teammates I get in Dota2. 

Can you imagine all the hate the MS haters would have spewed out if it was MS getting the Shenmue deal? Its just unbelievable, and getting so old.

Its okay to admit you are jealous that MS has it for a year. But no, instead you guys sit there and bash MS sales, and make stupid predictions that the game is going to bomb in hopes of getting back at SE, when they did nothing wrong. No one lied to you, haters.

The sad thing is that if it were Sony that got the Tomb Raider deal there would be people saying stuff like "What a great move from Sony", etc. They're only not saying it because Microsoft got it instead.

In every situation so far for this gen that i've seen it's always that apparently whatever Microsoft does is bad but apparently whatever Sony does is good.