By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Tomb Raider Xbox exclusivity: Square knew it would disappoint fans - decision wasn’t easy

They did a pretty dumb thing. The game will not do that well on X1 and will probably not do well on the PS4 a year later.

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

Around the Network
WC4Life said:
FloatingWaffles said:

The circumstances are exactly the same. People mention a lot that Sony is funding development of Street Fighter V, but the game would have released eventually without the funding from Sony either way, it just would have taken a little longer to release. Sony is funding the game to get it out sooner and to keep it console-wise only on PS4, and Microsoft is publishing Rise of the Tomb Raider to keep it console-wise exclusive on Xbox One for a year. Both companies are spending money on a game to keep it on their console and not the other in order to give their system another advantage, the only difference is one of them is timed. Both of them are on PC anyway though so either way none of them are really exclusive. 

RoTTR was already greenlit and well into development when MS stepped in where SFV was basically greenlit because of Sony money. I cannot agree that it is the same thing.

Agreed. The situations are completely different. I don't understand why people keep bringing up the SFV deal when it's not comparable. They would have a better argument with DR3 and SFV. That's comparable.

PSN ID- RayCrocheron82

XBL Gamertag- RAFIE82

NNID- RAFIE82/ Friend Code: SW-6006-2580-8237

YouTube- Rafie Crocheron

MoHasanie said:
They did a pretty dumb thing. The game will not do that well on X1 and will probably not do well on the PS4 a year later.

I actually think it will sell a lot on X1. Especially when they bundle it. Sales is goinna go thru the roof. We all know how Xbox sells during the holiday months.

PSN ID- RayCrocheron82

XBL Gamertag- RAFIE82

YouTube- Rafie Crocheron

Rafie said:
MoHasanie said:

I actually think it will sell a lot on X1. Especially when they bundle it. Sales is goinna go thru the roof. We all know how Xbox sells during the holiday months.

Depends on the bundles. Remeber that there will be Halo 5 and Fallout X1 bundles too. 

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

MoHasanie said:
Rafie said:

Depends on the bundles. Remeber that there will be Halo 5 and Fallout X1 bundles too. 

Damn I forgot about that. That's a lot of f'ing games for them to think about. Sheesh! Do you think that MS maybe oversaturated themselves with this. It's kind of overkill with these many games dropping so close to one another. I know F4 is multiplat, but it's going to sell better on Xbox due to that mod timed exclusive deal. I better start working overtime to support my habit with these games.

PSN ID- RayCrocheron82

XBL Gamertag- RAFIE82

YouTube- Rafie Crocheron

Around the Network

I love Tomb Raider and will be buying an X1 in October specifically to play this game and get early access to Battlefront. No one is going to care about this game a year later when all the Christmas 2016 titles will be coming out. I don't like that I have to buy a 2nd console for 2 games but it was definitely a smart move on Microsoft's part.

ethomaz said:

Mr Puggsly said:

Boring? It was one of the best games of the 7th gen. Anyhow, I'd respect your opinion more if you weren't a Destiny fan.

SE will be fine. PS4 fans will still buy plenty of SE games. Assuming its good I bet the next Tomb Raider will still sell a few million on PS4 down the road.

It doesn't matter if TR or SFV is more successful. That isn't how success is determined. As long as SE gets paid and MS gets a good game that moves some hardware, I think its a success.

People says AC is a good franhcise... I can't play it for more than 30 minutes... I just said that I didn't buy it becasue it is boring to counter your "betrayed" argument... I'm not in any way betrayed (I can see fans of the game being but that happens for a lot of games).

You brought the SFV and TR comparsion... no me.

And Destiny is really something else when 90% of the games do the same thing... love Destiny.

Hey, if you don't like TR or AC that's fine. But you enjoy Destiny so your opinions mean less.

I didn't mention SFV in the same context. SE shouldn't have to respond to whiny Sony fans, MS fans aren't bothering Capcom at the same level. I don't expect an apology from Capcom for going exclusive.

Most of Destiny is doing the same thing over and over for many hours hoping you get a piece of rare armor... Destiny is lame.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

The one thing SE need to work on is their timing. They reveal a PS4 version ahead of the XB1 launch and then decide it would be a good idea to say stupid things right around the time they show all their DQ cards. It should have been a time to rejoice only but here we are AGAIN discussing the silliness of SE. It's all on them.

The PS5 Exists. 

I dont see how it grows the IP by making it exclusive to a smaller audience (not wanting to disdain Xbox owners at all, just analisyng the reasoning presented).
Of course, for Microsoft it makes perfect sense. For Squeenix, as much as they beat around the bush... it was about the money. That is all.

I think they havent done well by the IP, or by their contract with MS with this early announcement of other versions, or either by the PS fans by releasing it a year later. But whatever... just say its cause of the money, cause we all know it was.

Goddbless said:
I will never understand why people get so up in arms over this deal. All the companies have exclusives and timed exclusives but yet this one is seen as being so horrible.

It being an already established, multiplatform franchise is the main issue. Tomb Raider fans without a XB1 or XB360 either have to spend hundreds of dollars to play the game Day 1, or have to wait a few months or a full year. The same goes for Street Fighter V, hell it's even worse! Street Fighter fans with only an XB1 have to either get a PS4 or gaming PC or they are completely fucked.