By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Tomb Raider Xbox exclusivity: Square knew it would disappoint fans - decision wasn’t easy

ethomaz said:
My opinion.

This game will bomb and Square will regret this decision.

But it is Square after all and they will cry like they did with past Tomb Raider saying it didn't reach the expectations... your fault, your fault.

You're speaking as somone betrayed, not a consumer.

Don't worry, you can give SE your money when future PS4 games are released.

Meanwhile, Xbox fans don't have SFV and we don't cry about it.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network

Mr Puggsly said:

Betrayed? I didn't even liked the other Tomb Raider (I didn't bought it because it was boring for me) lol

Who is crying is Square Enix... not me.

Let's see which game will be more sucessful... SFV for Capcom or Tomb Raider to Square Enix... we can back to this topic next year.

vivster said:

So we know that TR fan backlash is definitely less worth than what MS was giving them.

Also, the game is only timed for maximum a few months.

Well we don't know how much MS paid. They may have covered costs of development and advertising. Yet SE will still sell it to PS4 owners down the road. Not a bad deal.

Its actually a year exclusivity on MS platforms.

Recently Completed
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

WC4Life said:
FloatingWaffles said:
quisuis said:

well if it harm MS then it a good thing! MS will think twice before trowing cash to restrain fan of the serie to play the game on they favorite console!

Because of comments like yours I hope stuff like this continues to happen.

What kind of logic is this. "Restrain fans of the series to play the game", no, they wanted to give another reason for people to buy their console in 2015. This is the same thing as saying Sony is "restraining fans" from playing Street Fighter V because they're doing exactly what Microsoft is doing. 

The reason is the same for MS and Sony but the circumstances with these 2 games are completely different. It is not comparable what MS and Sony are doing, this has been talked over so many times, huh...

The circumstances are exactly the same. People mention a lot that Sony is funding development of Street Fighter V, but the game would have released eventually without the funding from Sony either way, it just would have taken a little longer to release. Sony is funding the game to get it out sooner and to keep it console-wise only on PS4, and Microsoft is publishing Rise of the Tomb Raider to keep it console-wise exclusive on Xbox One for a year. Both companies are spending money on a game to keep it on their console and not the other in order to give their system another advantage, the only difference is one of them is timed. Both of them are on PC anyway though so either way none of them are really exclusive. 

ethomaz said:

Mr Puggsly said:

Betrayed? I didn't even liked the other Tomb Raider (I didn't bought it because it was boring for me) lol

Who is crying is Square Enix... not me.

Let's see which game will be more sucessful... SFV for Capcom or Tomb Raider to Square Enix... we can back to this topic next year.

Boring? It was one of the best games of the 7th gen. Anyhow, I'd respect your opinion more if you weren't a Destiny fan.

SE will be fine. PS4 fans will still buy plenty of SE games. Assuming its good I bet the next Tomb Raider will still sell a few million on PS4 down the road.

It doesn't matter if TR or SFV is more successful. That isn't how success is determined. As long as SE gets paid and MS gets a good game that moves some hardware, I think its a success.

Recently Completed

Around the Network
ArchangelMadzz said:
Not a great idea now looking back seeing as Uncharted 4 was delayed. And now it's Exclusive and directly competing with HALO 5.

And very directly (same exact day) competing with Fallout 4, which MS has the marketing partnership with.

It's a huge mistake to launch Tomb Raider the same day as Fallout 4. For now I'm only choosing one and that's definitely going to be Fallout 4.

Mr Puggsly said:

Boring? It was one of the best games of the 7th gen. Anyhow, I'd respect your opinion more if you weren't a Destiny fan.

SE will be fine. PS4 fans will still buy plenty of SE games. Assuming its good I bet the next Tomb Raider will still sell a few million on PS4 down the road.

It doesn't matter if TR or SFV is more successful. That isn't how success is determined. As long as SE gets paid and MS gets a good game that moves some hardware, I think its a success.

People says AC is a good franhcise... I can't play it for more than 30 minutes... I just said that I didn't buy it becasue it is boring to counter your "betrayed" argument... I'm not in any way betrayed (I can see fans of the game being but that happens for a lot of games).

You brought the SFV and TR comparsion... no me.

And Destiny is really something else when 90% of the games do the same thing... love Destiny.

Mr Puggsly said:
vivster said:

So we know that TR fan backlash is definitely less worth than what MS was giving them.

Also, the game is only timed for maximum a few months.

Well we don't know how much MS paid. They may have covered costs of development and advertising. Yet SE will still sell it to PS4 owners down the road. Not a bad deal.

Its actually a year exclusivity on MS platforms.

Doesn't matter what MS did. See my statement.

@bold, was talking about X1 exclusivity.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Will wait for a 10$ psn sale or get it used for 10$

I consider Tomb Rider to be a.... you know, class B franchise.

The last tomb raider was good, nothing amazing though, still can't understand how is it possible to upgrade a pistol with salvaged wood.

Not sure if the deal will be worth it, i think it will backfire, the XBO version will have mediocre sales and the PS4 version will probably be the same being a 1 year late port, kinda like those Wii U 3rd party games at the start of the gen that sold terribly bad.

FloatingWaffles said:

The circumstances are exactly the same. People mention a lot that Sony is funding development of Street Fighter V, but the game would have released eventually without the funding from Sony either way, it just would have taken a little longer to release. Sony is funding the game to get it out sooner and to keep it console-wise only on PS4, and Microsoft is publishing Rise of the Tomb Raider to keep it console-wise exclusive on Xbox One for a year. Both companies are spending money on a game to keep it on their console and not the other in order to give their system another advantage, the only difference is one of them is timed. Both of them are on PC anyway though so either way none of them are really exclusive. 

RoTTR was already greenlit and well into development when MS stepped in where SFV was basically greenlit because of Sony money. I cannot agree that it is the same thing.

I cannot imagine toilet-free life.

Kebabs have a unique attribute compared to other consumables. To unlock this effect you need to wolf down a big ass kebab really fast, like under 10 minutes or so and wait for the effect to kick in. If done correctly your movements should feel unbelievably heavy to the point where you literally cannot move at all.

-Downtown Alanya Kebab magazine issue no.198