By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Tomb Raider Xbox exclusivity: Square knew it would disappoint fans - decision wasn’t easy

I hope MS paid you enough to offset below expectations numbers.

Around the Network
BMaker11 said:
Nicklesbe said:

It was never exclusive. Ever. It was made perfectly clear, despite many people's innocent and others intentional misunderstanding of the original announcement. It was made clear it was only ever going to be timed. Which was confirmed and reconfirmed for months from Xbox and SE representatives over twitter and in interviews. There has never been any doubt among most gamers who watched it with clear eyes that it would eventually be on Ps4. Many hoped and insisted that it wouldn't despite the overwhelming evidence and confirmations at the time from both SE and Xbox representatives. This was not a decision that was made later down the line. This was a decision that was made and known from the start. MS paid for a head start and for them to keep quiet as much as possible without flat out lying to consumers about that head start. I'm glad to see this finally confirms that. Thanks for sharing it.

This is absolutely false in ever sense of the word. I'll have to edit in links later, since I'm on mobile, but the initial reveal had no platform mentioned. It was just announced at the XBOne E3 conference. No mentioning of a platform typically means multiplatform. 

Well, come Gamescom, it's was announced as an XBOne exclusive. After fan outrage (this was Tomb Raider, after all. A franchise more close associated with PS and PC), it was clarified as an "Xbox exclusive". That meant XBOne and XB360. Then, it came out that it was "holiday exclusive". Then finally "the deal has a duration". 

You can look up the timeline yourself; I'll add links later. But at no point was MS "perfectly clear" about the situation. If you you really believe that they made it clear from the beginning that it was only ever gonna be timed, then you've got some revisionist history going on. 

It was announced as "coming exclusive to xbox holiday 2015".  MS does not have to make it clear, they are the publisher.  They control when things get announced.  

How come Sony did not straight up tell us about having Destiny DLC for a year?   Because they do the same damn thing, They let us sit on rumors for a month or so.   Get over it.   

These are reasons the PCMR laugh at console only gamers.  Dudes just argue over lame stuff.

It's coming out in the holidays for the PS4 so perhaps they should reflect reality at that point and call it Fall Of The Tombraider. See what I did there?!

The PS5 Exists. 

Neogaf "insiders" basically said Tomb Raider presales were low, so they hoped that by announcing the PS4 version a year away that might help boost sales. This is basically a follow up for goodwill, and nothing more.

whatever said:
Machiavellian said:

No its being an already established multi plate game is not the reason.  It being an Xbox One exclusive is the main issue.  If this was a PS4 exclusive we would see a totaly different reaction.  I do not see PS4 gamers making a fuss about Street Figther 5 not coming to the X1 since its also an established multiplate game. Lets be totally honest here.  The real reason TR is getting this heat is because PS4 gamers have to wait a year to play the game unless they get a X1 or PC.

People calling this greedy from Square but in the same breath champion FF remake, Shemmu and Street Fighter seems interesting.  Its like people blind themselves to their platform and see nothing else.  I am sure someone will say this is different but its not.  Its business, just that people chose to look at it different if its their platform.

Complete nonsense.  I don't see any XB1 gamers making a fuss about ROTR being XB1 exclusive for a year, but they complain about Street Fighter 5.  Same thing.

Gamers on either platform have a right to be pissed if a company makes a bad decision.

I guess you did not understand as I said PS4 gamers.  There is no one crying about exclusive this or that if its their platform getting the exclusive.  I do now know any gamers pissed on the X1 end about it not being completely exclusive, perplex yes but pissed no.  Why would X1 gamers be pissed that the game takes a year to come out on the PS4.  What exactly makes this a bad decision for a X1 only gamer.  Not understanding that logic.  

Nothing you stated refute what I stated.  Only gamers who care about the platform they have a person interest in care about another system getting an exclusive no matter what the situation is. 

Around the Network
FloatingWaffles said:

Sony did not greenlight SFV by paying for it, them paying for it simply made it release sooner than later, just as Microsoft is doing with Tomb Raider.

You're acting like Street Fighter V would have never been made without Sony funding it, and we both know that is not true. Street Fighter V would have released eventually anyway, all Sony did is pay for it to come out sooner and in turn put it console-wise only on PS4, same thing Microsoft did with Tomb Raider.

They are the exact same thing whether you wanna agree or not.

I believe it was Yoshinori Ono (SF producer) who said he had trouble getting SFV funded and then Sony stepped in and that essentially led to greenlitting SFV. If a game does not have budget, you can't consider it greenlit just because it has high chance of being made in the future. The game might not happen at all. And if it did, there is no proof it would be multi-platform. SFV did not exist as a game while RoTTR did and that is the difference. Sony was willing to take the risk from the very start. Microsoft just lessened the risk for SE mid-development. You could say SFV is Sony's game like Scalebound is for Microsoft. Sony is making a game while Microsoft bought a game for limited time. There is a huge difference.

I cannot imagine toilet-free life.

Kebabs have a unique attribute compared to other consumables. To unlock this effect you need to wolf down a big ass kebab really fast, like under 10 minutes or so and wait for the effect to kick in. If done correctly your movements should feel unbelievably heavy to the point where you literally cannot move at all.

-Downtown Alanya Kebab magazine issue no.198

Machiavellian said:

I guess you did not understand as I said PS4 gamers.  There is no one crying about exclusive this or that if its their platform getting the exclusive.  I do now know any gamers pissed on the X1 end about it not being completely exclusive, perplex yes but pissed no.  Why would X1 gamers be pissed that the game takes a year to come out on the PS4.  What exactly makes this a bad decision for a X1 only gamer.  Not understanding that logic.  

Nothing you stated refute what I stated.  Only gamers who care about the platform they have a person interest in care about another system getting an exclusive no matter what the situation is. 

Some Xbox fans feel lied to understandably. Some people take that to more of an extreme. I know Xbox fans who are really upset over being lied to, who went around saying it was an Xbox One exclusive and played into the Microsoft PR game, and they felt like Microsoft made a fool of them.

V-r0cK said:

How well gamers recieve the game? That depends on how well the gamer feels about it, and again if you read the negativity towards this deal you can say it wont be recieved well, in fact most gamers won't recieve it until after a full year lol.  Reviews can only help so much as there are many well-reviewed games that sold poorly or less then expected.

If it wasn't for negative comments from gamers then the XB1 would've been dead on arrival with their original plan of always needing to connect online, no used game policy, kinect always on etc...

Sure there's plenty of negative comments that are insignificant, but none-the-less should never be taken lightly especially when the comments are nothing but negative (or at least mostly).

There is no negative comments about the actual game, its gameplay or any such thing.  The game will be first defined by reviews which I have found quickly changes people minds if a game reviews high.  If anything I have only read positive comments concerning how the TR look and the expectation on how it plays.  Negative comments on exclusive or not exclusive is just fanboy noise  which really isn't gaining any more steam then it does outside of forums like this. From my experience the casual gamers do not care.

WC4Life said:

I believe it was Yoshinori Ono (SF producer) who said he had trouble getting SFV funded and then Sony stepped in and that essentially led to greenlitting SFV. If a game does not have budget, you can't consider it greenlit just because it has high chance of being made in the future. The game might not happen at all. And if it did, there is no proof it would be multi-platform. SFV did not exist as a game while RoTTR did and that is the difference. Sony was willing to take the risk from the very start. Microsoft just lessened the risk for SE mid-development. You could say SFV is Sony's game like Scalebound is for Microsoft. Sony is making a game while Microsoft bought a game for limited time. There is a huge difference.

There is no difference.  Square shopped around TR and MS was more than happy to help pay for development and advertisement of the product. No one knows how the deal got done or if Sony was given a chance the end result is that MS was willing to make a deal.  Sega shopped around for someone to fund SFV and Sony was more than happy to help pay for development and advertisement.  No one knows if MS was given a chance to make an offer but it does not matter because in the end Sony made the deal. The thing that gets these stories out of wack is when gamers add their own opinion to the mix to justify what they say.  If you can show any evidence that TR or SFV were in or not in a state to be released for the other system then provide that evidence but right now, I see no difference in both situations.

Sharpryno said:

These are reasons the PCMR laugh at console only gamers.  Dudes just argue over lame stuff.

Can't tell if serious