By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What is the Nintendo NX going to do in order to be successful?

My hope is that it will be a $200 standard console with say 250GB of storage and 2-4x the performance of the Wii U. If Nintendo is going to continue their ancient business model of "You have to buy our weak console to play our games", then it needs to be:

1) Cheap as hell
2) Have a boatload of Nintendo 1st party support - like 6+ big exclusives a year.

If they do that they will at least be the #1 secondary console of choice, which could at least keep them from being in 3rd place, and with big profits to boot.

Prediction for console Lifetime sales:

Wii:100-120 million, PS3:80-110 million, 360:70-100 million

[Prediction Made 11/5/2009]

3DS: 65m, PSV: 22m, Wii U: 18-22m, PS4: 80-120m, X1: 35-55m

I gauruntee the PS5 comes out after only 5-6 years after the launch of the PS4.

[Prediction Made 6/18/2014]

Around the Network
hinch said:

Ok maybe cheap isn' the word I was looking for.. affordable, it is then. I mean, the guys at Nintendo know they can't compete with Sony and Microsoft with their home consoles, so why bother try enter the power race. The reason why they were so successful before was because their unique hardware and software on their consoles. Also, they were priced well from launch. If Nintendo released a $400 console now, with better specs than a PS4, it would tank. Probably even more so than the Wii U.

Ok. "Affordable" is much better. This also means that you are saying they shouldn't get into the power race with MS and Sony. I can relate with all that. 

However, this also means that you are suggesting they do what I said could be their other option if jot getting into the power race, and that's trying to catch lightning in a bottle the third time (the second attempt was the WiiU and they failed). 

As I said before, the solutions to Nintendo's problems are pretty easy.... pulling it off however, is gonna be near impossible. They dug themselves into too deep a hole. And yes, everything happening now with Nintendo was caused by them. They have practically been burning bridges since the 90s. Hell, it was burning one such bridge that created their biggest rival. 

Soundwave said:
To be honest unless they have a killer idea I'm not sure a Nintendo console can be successful in the modern market context.

They may want to focus first and foremost on the portable, and if there is a second home-only SKU, just make that more of a companion type product.

GameCube was $99 for like half its life cycle and it still only capped out at a rather mediocre 22 million install base. So I dunno if price alone is the solution.

I understand the concern regarding Gamecube but something that many people forget or ignore is that Nintendo was trying to compete directly against PS2/Xbox and for about 90% of its life the competitors were a mere $50 more with multimedia features and better 3rd party support. That plus Nintendo messing up with a lot of their own IP, no traditional Kirby, Donkey Kong or Star Fox, Mario Sunshine felt like a spinoff, Zelda went with a poorly received at the time artstyle. There was a lot of things going against Gamecube despite the low price.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Kick ass and chew bubble gum.

Gotta figure out how to set these up lol.

Intrinsic said:

The only problem with all you just said; is that those things are all one major firmware update away for Sony or MS who Nintendo are going to directly be competing with and who already have a much better footing in the digital space than Nintendo. 

This whole " modern console" thing, based on what you have said all boils down to its OS and digital policies. this isn't 2006 when apple reveled the iPhone and basically redefined a mobile smartphone market that was still virgin territory. What you are suggesting means Nintendo does something in an industry that has players already doing all those things in some shape or form and already with vastly larger fan bases that has taken years to build.

No, if that is the direction Nintendo are going into, then it will make no difference what so ever. Everything you have said could be implemented within a week via a firmware update and a few policy changes. it will be a pity if Nintendo makes that the focus of their entire next gen strategy. They haven't even built up a respectable console network and its been over 13yrs since the introduction of XBL. 

There is nothing new about what you say Nintendo could focus on. And most importantly, there are other players in the same feild that are better suited, positioned and prepared to do all that and then some.  

No amount of firmware repackaging can do what an all digital unified platform can do. The whole gimmick stops working without the family of platforms, which is something Sony and Microsoft can't replicate.

I've already said this; Sony is looking to turn PS Now into their future proof platform. They won't need to go all digital because they'll go all streaming instead. Microsoft is going a similar way with XBL. Nintendo differenciates themselves from those futures by doing something the others can't - a reason to buy the hardware.

Apple's iPhone wasn't the first multimedia device or the first touch screen device or anything. It was just the first one to do it all well in a mainstream product. MS and Sony haven't done that and have not made hardware that can take advantage of that the way the NX will. When the Wii was successful, they the Move and Kinect were released to much less fanfair, because they were late to the party. They didn't revolutionize first, so their efforts didn't matter.

What do you think will happen if the NX turns out successful with this prediction. What? Are the PS4 and XBO suddenly going to ban physical media to force players to be all digital so that they can cultivate an environtment where they can actually take advantage of and provide a user experience around it? Of course not. That would be suicide. And because they can't do that, even after a hundred different firmware updates, those systems can never be what the NX will likely be. In order for this concept to work, their platforms would have to transend their hardware.

That's the purpose of an all digital platform. That's why the iPhone was so revolutionary. And that's why, if I'm right, the NX will be revolutionary. That doesn't mean that the PS4 and XBO will stop selling well, but it absolutely does mean that they will never be able to replicate the NX. You can't just "firmware update" that kind of thing. You can't just update your PS4, and suddenly your PS4 feels like nothing but a vessel for your real platform, the Playstation the brand.

With PS4, you're buying hardware. With XBO, you're buying hardware. With NX, you'll be joining a platform. Completely different philosophies, and one that must be at the heart of your hardware design to work. It's clearly not at the heart of those, and that's not a bad thing, but it's definitely not a rectifiable thing either.

And to say that an all digital, steam-like unified platform for consoles isn't new is comedy gold.

Around the Network

Kinda looks like they're gonna be going after the casual normies again. That is certainly A way to be successful. I prefer the Wii U slightly more hardcore gaming approach. Shame they botched it!

Dr.Vita said:
Something completely new (like the Wii was).

THIS

zorg1000 said:
Soundwave said:
To be honest unless they have a killer idea I'm not sure a Nintendo console can be successful in the modern market context.

They may want to focus first and foremost on the portable, and if there is a second home-only SKU, just make that more of a companion type product.

GameCube was $99 for like half its life cycle and it still only capped out at a rather mediocre 22 million install base. So I dunno if price alone is the solution.

I understand the concern regarding Gamecube but something that many people forget or ignore is that Nintendo was trying to compete directly against PS2/Xbox and for about 90% of its life the competitors were a mere $50 more with multimedia features and better 3rd party support. That plus Nintendo messing up with a lot of their own IP, no traditional Kirby, Donkey Kong or Star Fox, Mario Sunshine felt like a spinoff, Zelda went with a poorly received at the time artstyle. There was a lot of things going against Gamecube despite the low price.

Price is an issue, but it's not the only issue. The other thing is I think Nintendo by giving Sony/MS basically 3 years+, has given them plenty of time to get their own pricing down into an affordable range. So even if NX is say $100 cheaper than a PS4, if the PS4 has 300+ games next to NX starting at say 10 ... well like the PS2 a lot of people will probably be willing to pay more to get what they perceive is the better product. 

What Nintendo needs is something new and different that is a legitimate game changer. And I have no idea what that would be, but that's for them to figure out. 

Even when the XBox One was $499.99, a full $200 more than the Wii U, I believe it was still outselling the Wii U. 

Soundwave said:
zorg1000 said:

Price is an issue, but it's not the only issue. The other thing is I think Nintendo by giving Sony/MS basically 3 years+, has given them plenty of time to get their own pricing down into an affordable range. So even if NX is say $100 cheaper than a PS4, if the PS4 has 300+ games next to NX starting at say 10 ... well like the PS2 a lot of people will probably be willing to pay more to get what they perceive is the better product. 

What Nintendo needs is something new and different that is a legitimate game changer. And I have no idea what that would be, but that's for them to figure out. 

Even when the XBox One was $499.99, a full $200 more than the Wii U, I believe it was still outselling the Wii U. 

What I'm saying is price didn't matter because Nintendo was trying to compete head on for the same audience as PS2/Xbox and was seen as inferior, it had no DVD/CD playback for movies/music, it didn't embrace online like the others did, it had inferior 3rd party support with many games skipping it or coming late, it was labeled a kiddy device. A mere $50 more for what were perceived to be superior devices wasn't an issue for that audience.

Wii U is a similar situation, Nintendo wanted to recapture the "hardcore" gamer and win over the PS/XB audience while retaining the casual audience they had on Wii but ended up making a device that was unappealing to both sides. It doesn't matter that Wii U is cheaper than PS4/XB1 because it is seen as vastly inferior to the PS/XB audience. Nobody who is interested in mainstream Shooter, Sports, Racing, Action games and an all-in-one multimedia device would ever choose Wii U over PS4/XB1 despite the lower price tag.

So I agree that NX having a $100 price advantage won't help at all if it's a device designed to appeal to PS4/XB1 owners, but if it's a device like Wii where Nintendo basically says "we don't give a shit what the competitors are doing, we're doing our own thing" than it has a chance of success depending on their execution.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

spemanig said:

No amount of firmware repackaging can do what an all digital unified platform can do. The whole gimmick stops working without the family of platforms, which is something Sony and Microsoft can't replicate.

I've already said this; Sony is looking to turn PS Now into their future proof platform. They won't need to go all digital because they'll go all streaming instead. Microsoft is going a similar way with XBL. Nintendo differenciates themselves from those futures by doing something the others can't - a reason to buy the hardware.

Apple's iPhone wasn't the first multimedia device or the first touch screen device or anything. It was just the first one to do it all well in a mainstream product. MS and Sony haven't done that and have not made hardware that can take advantage of that the way the NX will. When the Wii was successful, they the Move and Kinect were released to much less fanfair, because they were late to the party. They didn't revolutionize first, so their efforts didn't matter.

What do you think will happen if the NX turns out successful with this prediction. What? Are the PS4 and XBO suddenly going to ban physical media to force players to be all digital so that they can cultivate an environtment where they can actually take advantage of and provide a user experience around it? Of course not. That would be suicide. And because they can't do that, even after a hundred different firmware updates, those systems can never be what the NX will likely be. In order for this concept to work, their platforms would have to transend their hardware.

That's the purpose of an all digital platform. That's why the iPhone was so revolutionary. And that's why, if I'm right, the NX will be revolutionary. That doesn't mean that the PS4 and XBO will stop selling well, but it absolutely does mean that they will never be able to replicate the NX. You can't just "firmware update" that kind of thing. You can't just update your PS4, and suddenly your PS4 feels like nothing but a vessel for your real platform, the Playstation the brand.

With PS4, you're buying hardware. With XBO, you're buying hardware. With NX, you'll be joining a platform. Completely different philosophies, and one that must be at the heart of your hardware design to work. It's clearly not at the heart of those, and that's not a bad thing, but it's definitely not a rectifiable thing either.

And to say that an all digital, steam-like unified platform for consoles isn't new is comedy gold.

i am not following you.... what is this all digital platform you keep speaking of? or this "unified platform" thing? I can't help but feel that you are getting carried away by the idea of something and totally overlooking its practicality or real world application. 

If by all digital you mean that the only way to get games is via download and that you think that could somehow be a "game changer" then I have nothing to say to you on that. 

And as for the unified platform thing? I don't even know where to begin. Tell you what though, if all the rumors pan out, by next year or so we mayvery well have this NX. let's see what happens then.