By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What is the Nintendo NX going to do in order to be successful?

Captain_Yuri said:
Maybe market it and have a name that isn't dumb and confusing

Lol, this.

Around the Network

It needs games, and they need to make sure they market towards the core gamer.

"Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games."

spemanig said:
I speculate that it will try and be the Apple of gaming. It will try to revolutionize UI be making a digitally focused platform that prioritizes convenience and simplicity of use across multiple platforms. Nintendo has always tried to innovate software and hardware. This time, I think they are going for firmware.

Unfortunately I think you are right. It feels like Nintendo will further push themselves into a different market, when I only want them to make a console that will have equal 3rd party support compared to others.

If they do the digital age well they could be a roll in the money, but as a gamer I dont really like the idea as I just want to play games.

Also it means I will have to buy the games digitally at higher prices than I would want to.

Australian Gamer (add me if you like)               
NNID: Maraccuda              
PS Network: Maraccuda           

Maraccuda said:
spemanig said:
I speculate that it will try and be the Apple of gaming. It will try to revolutionize UI be making a digitally focused platform that prioritizes convenience and simplicity of use across multiple platforms. Nintendo has always tried to innovate software and hardware. This time, I think they are going for firmware.

Unfortunately I think you are right. It feels like Nintendo will further push themselves into a different market, when I only want them to make a console that will have equal 3rd party support compared to others.

If they do the digital age well they could be a roll in the money, but as a gamer I dont really like the idea as I just want to play games.

Also it means I will have to buy the games digitally at higher prices than I would want to.

I don't think it's unfortunate at all. It's a good thing. First, I don't think that the markets can't cross. What I described doesn't mean there won't be third party support, for example. It's literally just a more modern platform. That's all.

What do you mean "as a gamer?" PC gamers are as hardcore as it gets, and they've been all digital for years. This isn't a casual gamer idea. It's a modern consumer idea.

No it doesn't. Digital games go on sale and get discounted all the time. On top of that, Nintendo is preparing a new membership program that I speculate is specifically geared towards addressing those kinds of concerns. From what we already know about it, it will reward consumers who buy/recommend games with discounts on more games. It's a "the more you buy, the more you save" mentality that rewards dedicated consumers.

Ultrashroomz said:
It needs games, and they need to make sure they market towards the core gamer.

GSX

Or the full nane, New Nintendo Game Entertainment Device for Running in-house Developed Console Software X.

Full abbreviation would thus be NNGEDRiDCSX.

Around the Network

It will come with a fully functional Power Suit and total remake of Super Metroid. In fact, the NX is a Power Suit.

Hunting Season is done...

I have absolutely no idea, but I feel like they're going to try and do something very revolutionizing like the Wii. Something to try and attract every type of gamer, from hardcore to casual, etc.

It's going to have a greatly expanded library by having handheld games playable on home console and, in some cases, the reverse. Nintendo is going to be Nintendo's primary third-party.

Their secondary third-party will be pushing browser and mobile games on Nintendo platforms. A good strategy for Japan, though probably less so in the west.

Nintendo's priority will be conservative, low-power gaming. They will almost completely turn away from western AAA titles, as they simply won't work on Nintendo's next home console.

Features will be close handheld/home console integration, including cross-saves and cross-platform gaming. The home console part will be marketed as a hub and the whole unit will be marketed as a singular experience for optimal play.

They need another Wii basically. Something unique that generates a great deal of discussion the moment people see it. But they can't simply repackage the original Wii, that is old hat now, they need something new.

Unfortunately making a new idea like that is very hard, and making it affordable can also be a major problem.

Even the handheld/portable ... I think they may have to push for a new type of form factor or something really different about from previous handhelds so that it can be unique in the smartphone/tablet world.

Unfortunately I don't think Nintendo can realistically compete with Sony/MS. Even if they made a comparable/better system, the abundance of kid-friendly mascot games on the platform would get it labelled as the "Playstation for kids", and even kids don't want that.

The more different/wacky the NX is in an immediately understandable way, probably the better for Nintendo.

I doubt that they will do anything more or different than with 3DS or Wii U. So expect similar success with a similar output of games.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.