By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What is the Nintendo NX going to do in order to be successful?

zorg1000 said:
I doubt NX is going to be digital-only, the rewards program will be used to convince people to go digital but they will still have a retail presence for software.

I don't disagree with this completely. Like I've said, I think it's possible for the NX console to have a disc drive. But I definitely am 100% sure that the handheld will be digital only. I think there's a large possiblility that they will go halvsies on all digital at first, to ween people off of physical media.

Around the Network
spemanig said:
zorg1000 said:
I doubt NX is going to be digital-only, the rewards program will be used to convince people to go digital but they will still have a retail presence for software.

I don't disagree with this completely. Like I've said, I think it's possible for the NX console to have a disc drive. But I definitely am 100% sure that the handheld will be digital only. I think there's a large possiblility that they will go halvsies on all digital at first, to ween people off of physical media.

I don't know how feasible it is but I would personally like for both NX devices to use higher capacity game cards like 3DS that way u can still have cross buy/play/save even for retail.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

zorg1000 said:

I don't know how feasible it is but I would personally like for both NX devices to use higher capacity game cards like 3DS that way u can still have cross buy/play/save even for retail.

It's not that it's impossible, but that it's extremely clumbsy, and worse, deliberately anti-third party. It brings Nintendo back to the N64 days. And while I know some people believe Nintendo will never get third party again, Nintendo would also never act so deliberately against them like that. On top of that, using the same card doesn't allow for, to my knowledge, a different play experience on the different version. They would be exactly the same, which would suck. The whole appeal is that you'd be playing a beefier, console version on the terminal and a more humble version on the handheld. DQXI PS4 vs DQ 3DS. Same game, but vastly different experiences.

In my opinion, for the NX to work, the platforms will need to edequately promote their differences, on top of their similarities.

spemanig said:
zorg1000 said:

It's not that it's impossible, but that it's extremely clumbsy, and worse, deliberately anti-third party. It brings Nintendo back to the N64 days. And while I know some people believe Nintendo will never get third party again, Nintendo would also never act so deliberately against them like that. On top of that, using the same card doesn't allow for, to my knowledge, a different play experience on the different version. They would be exactly the same, which would suck. The whole appeal is that you'd be playing a beefier, console version on the terminal and a more humble version on the handheld. DQXI PS4 vs DQ 3DS. Same game, but vastly different experiences.

In my opinion, for the NX to work, the platforms will need to edequately promote their differences, on top of their similarities.

I don't see how it's anti 3rd party, it's what 3DS uses and that has exponentially more 3rd party support than Wii U.

I'm not so sure if the various forms factors will be vastly different. I could imagine the handheld variant basically being a Wii U 0.5, a device that can handle Wii U level visuals at a lower resolution, perhaps 540p. On the other hand, the console variant would essentially be Wii U 1.5, a device able to handle Wii U level visuals at 1080p. Similar to the difference between iPhone & iPad, outside of a few exclusive features/apps they are pretty much the same thing but different size and resolution.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

zorg1000 said:

I don't see how it's anti 3rd party, it's what 3DS uses and that has exponentially more 3rd party support than Wii U.

I'm not so sure if the various forms factors will be vastly different. I could imagine the handheld variant basically being a Wii U 0.5, a device that can handle Wii U level visuals at a lower resolution, perhaps 540p. On the other hand, the console variant would essentially be Wii U 1.5, a device able to handle Wii U level visuals at 1080p. Similar to the difference between iPhone & iPad, outside of a few exclusive features/apps they are pretty much the same thing but different size and resolution.

If the NX is a unified platform, it will also be a home console. Home consoles + cartriges meant for a handheld = terrible third party relations.

A cartridge made for a handheld is not going to hold DQ11, and more importantly, Square Enix, the company that publicly slandered Nintendo for using carts on the N64 and stopped supporting them because of it, wouldn't be supporting them now if they were going back to that.

Again, if the NX home console was merely Wii U levels of power, Square wouldn't be releasing the game on the NX. That, alone, proves that the console varient will at least be powerful enough for it to scale to it, with the handheld erring closer to a 7th gen console in power. Obviously it's all speculation, but I've already predicted that the NXDS will be more powerful than the Vita and have a 720p (equivilant) display. I think a better comparison would be the power difference between a Macbook and an iphone.

Around the Network
spemanig said:
zorg1000 said:

If the NX is a unified platform, it will also be a home console. Home consoles + cartriges meant for a handheld = terrible third party relations.

A cartridge made for a handheld is not going to hold DQ11, and more importantly, Square Enix, the company that publicly slandered Nintendo for using carts on the N64 and stopped supporting them because of it, wouldn't be supporting them now if they were going back to that.

Again, if the NX home console was merely Wii U levels of power, Square wouldn't be releasing the game on the NX. That, alone, proves that the console varient will at least be powerful enough for it to scale to it, with the handheld erring closer to a 7th gen console in power. Obviously it's all speculation, but I've already predicted that the NXDS will be more powerful than the Vita and have a 720p (equivilant) display. I think a better comparison would be the power difference between a Macbook and an iphone.

U could be right, I'm not opposed to either idea, I just want Nintendo to offer cross buy/play/save and to increase their internal software output.

zorg1000 said:

U could be right, I'm not opposed to either idea, I just want Nintendo to offer cross buy/play/save and to increase their internal software output.

I definitely think that's a given. It'll be good for us all.