By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Sandy Bland questionable arrest leads to mysterious death.

KLAMarine said:
Hiku said:

I'll check out the video. But you can't arrest someone for not being polite.
It's basically the point TYT were making. Yes, you should bow your head and do everything they say, unfortunitely. Only because there are these crazy cops who will arrest you, beat you up, or kill you for no good reason. But that's not how it's supposed to be. You should be allowed to smoke in your car without being pulled out for refusing.

I almost feel like cars need to come with a camera that films and streams the video for your protection, and that cops have to explain why you are being arreste, to prevent things from going as far as they did here.

You can arrest them for an improper lane change though. In addition, at the beginning of the video, you can see Sandra run a stop sign (1:14, stop sign can be spotted at around 1:28) which seems to have prompted the pursuit to begin with. TYT won't point that out though. You want the truth, watch the raw video, not what TYT chooses to show you.

sundin13 said:
The legality of the whole arrest issue seems extremely wishy-washy, so I doubt that any action will be taken against the officer on that front. As for the individuals, they were both acting irrationally but this story does not really warrant this degree of attention. Unless something can be found to conclude that the death was not a suicide, this is just much ado about nothing...

The officer broke protocol so the department will exercise some degree of disciplinary action, I imagine.

ArchangelMadzz said:

She wasn't polite but she never shouted or hurled abuse at him.

Did you not watch the video?

Not until he forcably dragged her out of the car like an immasculated pussy*

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

Around the Network

This guy explains it very well, though a little blund maybe: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnuQGqxnqfo
She wasn't compliant during the stop and kept on talking, and jumped to conclusions. She could have driven away with a warning.

ArchangelMadzz said:

Did you miss the shouting and foul language on her part?

KLAMarine said:
ArchangelMadzz said:

Did you miss the shouting and foul language on her part?

She explained in an annoyed tone why she was upset. She did not shout. 

Even if she shouted at him, it doesn't justify him threatening her if violence, asking her to unlawfully get her out of the car. Not saying why she's being arrested, and slamming her head onto the ground. Then the Police department editing the dashcam video for an unknown reason.

Seriously, how are you defending this?

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

AnthonyW86 said:
This guy explains it very well, though a little blund maybe: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnuQGqxnqfo
She wasn't compliant during the stop and kept on talking, and jumped to conclusions. She could have driven away with a warning.

Ugh. I don't like how he speaks in generalities but I like he didn't cut the video up like The Young Turks did.

Around the Network
Hiku said:
sundin13 said:
The legality of the whole arrest issue seems extremely wishy-washy, so I doubt that any action will be taken against the officer on that front. As for the individuals, they were both acting irrationally but this story does not really warrant this degree of attention. Unless something can be found to conclude that the death was not a suicide, this is just much ado about nothing...

Why does that make you think no action will be taken against the officer? If they can't find a legal reason for the arrest, he should not be patroling the streets again. He avoided answering why she was under arrest, several times. So it's not like it was a missunderstanding. If he realised he had no answer, he should have stopped. But he continued.

And even if her death wasn't murder, it was a bogus arrest that put her in that situation in the first place. Not to mention the physical violence that seemingly went on off camera. None of that was warranted.

Unless there is something specific in that area, there is usually no law mandating officers to explain the reason for an arrest at the time. However, it seems the arrest was for the failure to comply with a lawful order. That lawful order being "get out of the car", case law on which seems to indicate you can order someone out of their car during a routine traffic stop without probable cause. Additionally, you can compel someone to follow a lawful order through force if they refuse to comply. This is further compounded into a potential "resisting arrest" charge.

While, like I said, the exact laws are loosely worded, it doesn't seem to be enough to take any legal action against the officer and any disciplinary action will likely be more symbolic than anything.

KLAMarine said:
ArchangelMadzz said:
KLAMarine said:
Don't rely on the Young Turks for your info: TYT's biased.

Here's raw footage without portions cut out by TYT: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URAZ3umt7v0

Either way, same conclusion as TYT can be made from the 'uncut video'. Guy is a megalomaniac and an asshole.

Sandra Bland wasn't exactly polite either. She should have followed her own advice and contested her stop in court rather than arguing with police.

She doesn't need to be polite. She just wanted the officer to go away. She wouldn't submit and put out her cigarette which is inside of her own property. She had every right not to do it. Sometimes people forget what it means to be a public servant because the position grants power.

I find it hilarious that people are trying to defend this officer.The point is she was black and being black right now means having no rights.Simple as that.And suicide my ass.

ArchangelMadzz said:

She explained in an annoyed tone why she was upset. She did not shout.

Sounded like shouting to me. Both were shouting but the police officer was mostly issuing orders, Sandra was half asking questions, half throwing out insults and foul language.

ArchangelMadzz said:

Even if she shouted at him, it doesn't justify him threatening her if violence, asking her to unlawfully get her out of the car. Not saying why she's being arrested, and slamming her head onto the ground. Then the Police department editing the dashcam video for an unknown reason.

When talking about threatening violence, I imagine you mean the taser. I agree, it seemed excessive. I've heard from a lawyer named Peter Schulte that a taser is used for active resistance, not passive resistance. What makes for active and passive resistance I don't know. I have no legal expertise. I go off of people who study law and they disagree on a number of aspects but all pretty much agree that you should get legal expertise and take a dispute to court, not out in the street.

ArchangelMadzz said:

Seriously, how are you defending this?

Both sides played their role in escalating the situation but some portions of the public focus solely on what the police officer did and seem to ignore what Sandra had done.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
KLAMarine said:

Sandra Bland wasn't exactly polite either. She should have followed her own advice and contested her stop in court rather than arguing with police.

She doesn't need to be polite. She just wanted the officer to go away. She wouldn't submit and put out her cigarette which is inside of her own property. She had every right not to do it. Sometimes people forget what it means to be a public servant because the position grants power.

She doesn't have a right to not exit her car after an officer asks her to exit her car.

http://www.carinsurance.org/2013/02/know-your-rights-what-to-do-when-you-get-pulled-over/

"Exit the car only if asked: You are required by law to step out of your vehicle if an officer asks you to. However, you can and should shut and lock the driver door behind you. Leaving the door open can be interpreted as your consenting to a search. If the officer asks why you locked the door, simply say, “I always lock my car doors, officer.”"

http://www.columbuscriminaldefenseattorney.com/2012/03/16/must-you-get-out-of-your-car-during-a-traffic-stop-police-interaction-part-ix/

"You have been pulled over at the side of the interstate for going 75mph in a 65mph zone.  The weather is cold and unpleasant.  The officer who pulled you over already has your license.  Now he asks that you step out of your vehicle so he can pat you down.

You might wonder if you have to comply.

The BEST answer:  Yes, you should get out of the car.  You should tell him you do not consent to the search, but you should cooperate fully and not resist if he insists on patting you down.

The CORRECT answer:  Yes, you must get out of the car.  No, he’s not allowed to pat you down.

The WRONG reaction:  Refuse to get out of the car or resist his attempts to pat you down."

REDZONE said:
I find it hilarious that people are trying to defend this officer.The point is she was black and being black right now means having no rights.Simple as that.And suicide my ass.

According to the autopsy, there was nothing to indicate foul play. As of this post, investigation seems to indicate it was in fact a suicide.