By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Sandy Bland questionable arrest leads to mysterious death.

Hiku said:

How is it that they're so meticulous about reading the suspect their rights (so that they understand their rights) but not what they are being arrested for?

Actually, that is a bit of a Hollywood-ification of the truth. The rights are usually read before interrogation and not upon arrest, as they are typically for getting information from a suspect without a lawyer present.

Around the Network
Hiku said:

I'm not sure about how that law works, but when I looked it up I read "You can be cited for an unsafe lane change under the rule that prohibits unsafe turns,".
It only mentions a citation, and not an arrest. But even if it can warrant an arrest, there didn't seem to be anything unsafe about that particular lane change. Running the stop sign though is an interesting fact that should have been mentionined in the TYT video.
But I still find it strange and disturbing that he doesn't give her a reason for the arrest. And that the police haven't given us one either. Nor have they clarified which protocol the officer broke.
How is it that they're so meticulous about reading the suspect their rights (so that they understand their rights) but not what they are being arrested for?
I think this is important because there are police officers out there who don't understand the laws they are trying to enforce.

And THIS is why you don't hold court out in the street. Tons of questions begging for answers and there's plenty of time for them to be answered IN COURT.

I like it how it's put in this video at 19:55: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnuQGqxnqfo

"I complied. Fought it. And won!"

The arrest is irrelevent. They both were acting like pricks. She started it, but don't matter, he shoudl have rose above. Being a cop he should be used to people being dicks to him.

BUT she commited suicide, days later. Nothing to do with the arrest.

Bail was only $500, someone could have easily bailed her out.

And she SHOULD have been arrested, for 1 of 2 reasons.

1. If she did indeed kick the officer, thats assault.
2. She has like $7,500 in unpaid fines. The cop should have seen that running her license in the system and arrested her for those.

KLAMarine said:
ArchangelMadzz said:

She explained in an annoyed tone why she was upset. She did not shout.

Sounded like shouting to me. Both were shouting but the police officer was mostly issuing orders, Sandra was half asking questions, half throwing out insults and foul language.

ArchangelMadzz said:

Even if she shouted at him, it doesn't justify him threatening her if violence, asking her to unlawfully get her out of the car. Not saying why she's being arrested, and slamming her head onto the ground. Then the Police department editing the dashcam video for an unknown reason.

When talking about threatening violence, I imagine you mean the taser. I agree, it seemed excessive. I've heard from a lawyer named Peter Schulte that a taser is used for active resistance, not passive resistance. What makes for active and passive resistance I don't know. I have no legal expertise. I go off of people who study law and they disagree on a number of aspects but all pretty much agree that you should get legal expertise and take a dispute to court, not out in the street.

ArchangelMadzz said:

Seriously, how are you defending this?

Both sides played their role in escalating the situation but some portions of the public focus solely on what the police officer did and seem to ignore what Sandra had done.

Sounded like shouting to you? You heard her shouting then he slammed her head into the ground. That's shouting.

She escalated the situation expressing why she was annoyed? He could've simply given her a ticket for this mild traffic offence and been on his day. He's the one threatening her. He's the one dragging her out of the car. He's the one with his tazer out and he's the one smashing her head into the ground.

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

Hiku said:

Running the stop sign though is an interesting fact that should have been mentionined in the TYT video.

They might have missed it too since other sources don't show it. Always look for raw video, not what media outlets decide to show you.

The wonderful thing about video is it doesn't lie. Media outlets can certainly twist it and that's why you always look for raw video.

Around the Network
irstupid said:
The arrest is irrelevent. They both were acting like pricks. She started it, but don't matter, he shoudl have rose above. Being a cop he should be used to people being dicks to him.

BUT she commited suicide, days later. Nothing to do with the arrest.

Bail was only $500, someone could have easily bailed her out.

And she SHOULD have been arrested, for 1 of 2 reasons.

1. If she did indeed kick the officer, thats assault.
2. She has like $7,500 in unpaid fines. The cop should have seen that running her license in the system and arrested her for those.

If she has unpaid fines she should be apprehended or charged with something to pay those off whether that be prison time, item reposession or community service.

We have no evidence she kicked him (purposefully) other than the word of this maniac who works for the department that edited the dashcam footage. They have less than 0 credibility. Cops look out for each other.

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

KLAMarine said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
KLAMarine said:

Sandra Bland wasn't exactly polite either. She should have followed her own advice and contested her stop in court rather than arguing with police.

She doesn't need to be polite. She just wanted the officer to go away. She wouldn't submit and put out her cigarette which is inside of her own property. She had every right not to do it. Sometimes people forget what it means to be a public servant because the position grants power.

She doesn't have a right to not exit her car after an officer asks her to exit her car.

http://www.carinsurance.org/2013/02/know-your-rights-what-to-do-when-you-get-pulled-over/

"Exit the car only if asked: You are required by law to step out of your vehicle if an officer asks you to. However, you can and should shut and lock the driver door behind you. Leaving the door open can be interpreted as your consenting to a search. If the officer asks why you locked the door, simply say, “I always lock my car doors, officer.”"

http://www.columbuscriminaldefenseattorney.com/2012/03/16/must-you-get-out-of-your-car-during-a-traffic-stop-police-interaction-part-ix/

"You have been pulled over at the side of the interstate for going 75mph in a 65mph zone.  The weather is cold and unpleasant.  The officer who pulled you over already has your license.  Now he asks that you step out of your vehicle so he can pat you down.

You might wonder if you have to comply.

The BEST answer:  Yes, you should get out of the car.  You should tell him you do not consent to the search, but you should cooperate fully and not resist if he insists on patting you down.

The CORRECT answer:  Yes, you must get out of the car.  No, he’s not allowed to pat you down.

The WRONG reaction:  Refuse to get out of the car or resist his attempts to pat you down."

REDZONE said:
I find it hilarious that people are trying to defend this officer.The point is she was black and being black right now means having no rights.Simple as that.And suicide my ass.

According to the autopsy, there was nothing to indicate foul play. As of this post, investigation seems to indicate it was in fact a suicide.

I never said anything about not getting out of the car. The guy was on a power trip. It's not wise to say no to a cop even when they are wrong. Your life could be on the line. No point in talking about your rights either. The smartest thing is just to reply to their question and move on with your life. People die because they believe they can get away with privileges. They forget that a system is never perfect when run by humans. Some humans don't care about your privileges.

Hiku said:
sundin13 said:

Unless there is something specific in that area, there is usually no law mandating officers to explain the reason for an arrest at the time. However, it seems the arrest was for the failure to comply with a lawful order. That lawful order being "get out of the car", case law on which seems to indicate you can order someone out of their car during a routine traffic stop without probable cause. Additionally, you can compel someone to follow a lawful order through force if they refuse to comply. This is further compounded into a potential "resisting arrest" charge.

While, like I said, the exact laws are loosely worded, it doesn't seem to be enough to take any legal action against the officer and any disciplinary action will likely be more symbolic than anything.

In order to resist an arrest, you have to be in the process of being arrested first. Simply refusing to get out of the car is not resisting arrest unless the officer asked her get out so that he could arrest her. And in this case, he was. He did say that she was under arrest. But no one knows what she was arrested for in the first place.

You can't be arrested solely for resisting arrest. There has to be a reason for the arrest, leading up the the resistance of being arrested.

And that officers don't have to tell you why you are being arrested is sad, and scary.

Did you just ignore the rest of that paragraph? The initial arrest order seemed to be for failure to comply with a lawful order (although others have brought up a few potential things to be arrested for). Also, why is that sad and scary? Its not like you are going to be sent to prison if the arrest fizzles.

ArchangelMadzz said:

Sounded like shouting to you? You heard her shouting then he slammed her head into the ground. That's shouting.

We don't have the head slam on video though so we can't verify that independent of testimony.

ArchangelMadzz said:

She escalated the situation expressing why she was annoyed? He could've simply given her a ticket for this mild traffic offence and been on his day. He's the one threatening her. He's the one dragging her out of the car. He's the one with his tazer out and he's the one smashing her head into the ground.

When you don't comply with police orders, I do believe they can then exercise non-lethal force, force you are not allowed to resist. According to the officer, she kicked him when he was trying to pull her out. When a police officer orders you to exit your vehicle, you are breaking the law when you don't exit your vehicle.

I was a jailer for a year and a cop for almost ten years. There was so much misinformed on this case--and the truth was always easily accessible to anybody willing to look for real answers. I'll read this thread and post my thoughts.