By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - After RiseOfTheTombRaider contract ends, where do you see it going next?

Where will it go after the exclusivity contract ends?

PC 57 15.57%

PS4 41 11.20%

PC & PS4 223 60.93%

Nowhere, it will remain Xbone exclusive. 11 3.01%

Ouya 19 5.19%

WiiU 9 2.46%

NX 4 1.09%

SteamBox 2 0.55%

Total:366
DerNebel said:
I can for the life of me not understand why some people are still doubting that RoTR will come to PS4, MS would have cleared it up ages ago if that wasn't the case just like they did with Titanfall or like Sony did with Street Fighter 5 or like it was recently done with Cuphead as well, but no they are still using the same wording as before, saying the deal has a duration etc.

And people using DR3 and Ryse as an example, here is a link to an article of Crytek saying that they would be open to bringing Ryse to PS4, a comment they'd probably not make if they weren't allowed to do that. So who's saying those games couldn't come to PS4 in theory? I mean we are talking about a publisher that is to broke to make SFV on their own and a game that's just really not that great, maybe they just either couldn't afford to bring it to PS4 or just didn't bother.

http://www.videogamer.com/xboxone/ryse/news/crytek_open_to_bringing_ryse_to_ps4.html

Exactly. If it really was console exclusive then MS would have said so ages ago.

The fact Spencer says it's like the Ryse and Dead Rising 3 deals is to make it even more ambiguous. It's quite irritating as far as PR goes.

Around the Network
Ka-pi96 said:
Depends how successful it is on Xbox. If it does really well then Microsoft may want to get a longer deal maybe including sequels and Square would be more inclined to agree. Although I don't really expect it to do that well, but still the better it does on Xbox the less other places it will go. If it flops on Xbox then expect re-releases on everything, even a crappy mobile port, just so Square can try to break even.

It would have to do CoD well for that to happen. If it does 50% better than the previous game did on Xbox platforms that would not be nearly enough for SE to sign up for a long term console exclusivity deal and shut out the console with the 50% marketshare, and a gamer base that is generally more into TR-type games than the Xbox player base.

A PS4 port is almost certain. Consider the PR wording between MS with RTR and Sony with SF5. Sony was crystal clear about SF5 "SF5 will never come to another console platform." Of course this leaves open the appearance of SSF5 on any and all console platforms. But the message is not open to interpretation in any way with respect to SF5. Also the PR was very clear about PC. SF5 is coming to PC.

MS and CD on the other hand released all sorts of statements that are all smoke and mirrors around the exclusivity. Starting with the first announcement being about exclusivity in 2015. Clarification was immediately sought about what that means for other platforms and no clarification was forthcoming, only more murky statements. The oft quoted deal is "like DR3 / Ryse." Well any timed exclusivity deal is "LIKE" DR3 and Ryse in that they are timed exclusives. PR statements are always carefully worded and if the deal was permanent console exclusivity, which is the detail fo the exclusivity contract everyone is interested in, then PR statements would say "same as" not "like". Like means similar to but not the same, which means there are differences and so ultimately a "like" statement is more murky obfuscation. What is clear is that CD and SE are contractually prohibited from talking about other platforms for a period of time and especially prohibited from saying anything about a possible future PS4 port. And Phil Spencer is 100% correct in saying that it is not his job to talk about games coming to other platforms, his job is all about promoting the games that are on Xbox, so why anyone asks Phil about expansion to other platforms makes no sense, the freedom to move RTR to other platforms and the decision to do that, or not, is for SE and CD to answer once they are no longer contractually gagged.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Everywhere it can run. Maximize profits. There is no higher calling.

OttoniBastos said:
PC is a given!

PS4...i'm still not sold about this port.

The PR wording and older examples like Dead rising 3 and Ryse make me believe that this port is out of bounds.

It's just more smoke and mirrors. Certianly there's no guarantee of anything at this point, but none of the PR around RTR can be used in any way to definitively prove that PC and / or PS4 are completely off the table for future releases of this game.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Thats not even a question, thé game will come on PS4 6 months after according to thé most solide rumor

Predictions for end of 2014 HW sales:

PS4: 17m   XB1: 10m    WiiU: 10m   Vita: 10m

Around the Network

It's interesting that Ryse could in theory come to PS4, but I think if MS don't have a deal to prevent that, then it's probably more to do with the fact that Krytek were probably hoping for some money off Sony to release it on PS4. If they don't get any, then wouldn't expect it.

If DR could come to PS4... now thats something I would be happy about... hope we get a definitive edition of Dead Rising 3 then .... :)

So getting back to the original point, it seems there is some confusion in the PR about what is and isn't timed and I think there are reasons why DR and Ryse wouldn't come to PS4 but doesn't mean that they couldn't. TR sold a lot more on PS4 than XBO, so I cannot see the next one not appearing, though it's delay is more damaging to the brand going forward.

Making an indie game : Dead of Day!

binary solo said:
Ka-pi96 said:
Depends how successful it is on Xbox. If it does really well then Microsoft may want to get a longer deal maybe including sequels and Square would be more inclined to agree. Although I don't really expect it to do that well, but still the better it does on Xbox the less other places it will go. If it flops on Xbox then expect re-releases on everything, even a crappy mobile port, just so Square can try to break even.

It would have to do CoD well for that to happen. If it does 50% better than the previous game did on Xbox platforms that would not be nearly enough for SE to sign up for a long term console exclusivity deal and shut out the console with the 50% marketshare, and a gamer base that is generally more into TR-type games than the Xbox player base.

A PS4 port is almost certain. Consider the PR wording between MS with RTR and Sony with SF5. Sony was crystal clear about SF5 "SF5 will never come to another console platform." Of course this leaves open the appearance of SSF5 on any and all console platforms. But the message is not open to interpretation in any way with respect to SF5. Also the PR was very clear about PC. SF5 is coming to PC.

MS and CD on the other hand released all sorts of statements that are all smoke and mirrors around the exclusivity. Starting with the first announcement being about exclusivity in 2015. Clarification was immediately sought about what that means for other platforms and no clarification was forthcoming, only more murky statements. The oft quoted deal is "like DR3 / Ryse." Well any timed exclusivity deal is "LIKE" DR3 and Ryse in that they are timed exclusives. PR statements are always carefully worded and if the deal was permanent console exclusivity, which is the detail fo the exclusivity contract everyone is interested in, then PR statements would say "same as" not "like". Like means similar to but not the same, which means there are differences and so ultimately a "like" statement is more murky obfuscation. What is clear is that CD and SE are contractually prohibited from talking about other platforms for a period of time and especially prohibited from saying anything about a possible future PS4 port. And Phil Spencer is 100% correct in saying that it is not his job to talk about games coming to other platforms, his job is all about promoting the games that are on Xbox, so why anyone asks Phil about expansion to other platforms makes no sense, the freedom to move RTR to other platforms and the decision to do that, or not, is for SE and CD to answer once they are no longer contractually gagged.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/xbox-will-never-get-a-version-of-street-fighter-5-/1100-6427987/

"We are console exclusive for this franchise for this numbered run"

Also: http://blog.us.playstation.com/2015/07/18/street-fighter-v-a-new-way-to-play/

The initial disc is the only one you'll ever need to own.

Just wanted to point that out. This scenario is truly different from TR. There won't be a Super/Ultra/Mega/Definitive SF on Xbox. There could very well be a Rise of the Tomb Raider: Complete Edition on PS4. They'll probably work around it in the same way a game such as Ninja Gaiden 2 got worked around: rename the game (Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 in this scenario) and have the parent company publish (Tecmo did Sigma, SE would do RotTR).

To the console with the biggest install base and biggest fanbase.

The PS5 Exists. 

OttoniBastos said:
PC is a given!

PS4...i'm still not sold about this port.

The PR wording and older examples like Dead rising 3 and Ryse make me believe that this port is out of bounds.

Which of course was more deliberately chosen wording. It's coming to the PS4.

The PS5 Exists. 

I loved 2013's Tomb Raider and was very excited for the sequel. The deal with Microsoft was a disappointment but it's very unlikely that a franchise where the most numerous fan-base and where it sells more is with PlayStation, would not come out for it. Especially when it's the worldwide market leader. Which is to say, I am happy to wait until it comes to PS4. Plenty to play until then and I'm sure I will still enjoy the game.

Going on a blackout though as to not be spoiled for the 6 to 12 months that it will take to go to PS4.