By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - After RiseOfTheTombRaider contract ends, where do you see it going next?

Where will it go after the exclusivity contract ends?

PC 57 15.57%

PS4 41 11.20%

PC & PS4 223 60.93%

Nowhere, it will remain Xbone exclusive. 11 3.01%

Ouya 19 5.19%

WiiU 9 2.46%

NX 4 1.09%

SteamBox 2 0.55%

Total:366

Probably only coming to PS store. Just skip the retail release to control the margins...

It is near the end of the end....

Around the Network

Last edited by OttoniBastos - on 12 November 2019

Derr Uhhh Gameboy?! /s

Of course PC + PS4. We all know this.

Prediction for console Lifetime sales:

Wii:100-120 million, PS3:80-110 million, 360:70-100 million

[Prediction Made 11/5/2009]

3DS: 65m, PSV: 22m, Wii U: 18-22m, PS4: 80-120m, X1: 35-55m

I gauruntee the PS5 comes out after only 5-6 years after the launch of the PS4.

[Prediction Made 6/18/2014]

OttoniBastos said:

There is something about this PR that bothers me.

One of the first times Phil Spencer talked about the exclusivity deal of RoTB,he said(and i'm gonna paraphrase since i don't remember the exactly words):

"We don't own the IP so we can't control where the IP goes in the future!"

Notice that he didn't talked about the game itself but the license,which makes me think that SE plan is to release this game exclusively for microsoft environments and continue the franchise as multiplatform after that.

That would explain why the game is called Rise of Tomb Raider and not Tomb raider 2: Rise of... since making a numbered,mainline game exclusive and then open the mainline again with the next game is not a good business plan(Capcom did exactly the same with Resident evil Code Veronica,which was suppose to be Resident evil 3,but since the games was originally conceived as a Dreamcast exclusive and they planned to continue the game in other platforms,they turned the game a spin-off/side story instead of a mainline one)

NOTE: Just to be clear,i hope i'm wrong since Tomb raider has a history on playstation and a big chunck(probably the biggest one) of the fanbase is here..

Yes, AGAIN, it's just clever use of words to create confusion. The whole deal is based upon confusion and casting doubt in the hope people will buy an XB1 this Christmas because they think it's not coming to the PS4.

The PS5 Exists. 

A PC version seems all but guaranteed, but i wouldn't be surprised to see a PS4 version pop up at some point. The lack of a SF5/TF "this game will never come to any other consoles/brands" style comment certainly implies it's a possibility. Regardless, i'll be getting it on PC.

Around the Network
MoHasanie said:
PS4 and PC. MS and Sony this gen have always mentioned if games are console exclusives, and they didn't do it for this game.

First reply worth reading nailed it.

Zekkyou said:
A PC version seems all but guaranteed, but i wouldn't be surprised to see a PS4 version pop up at some point. The lack of a SF5/TF "this game will never come to any other consoles/brands" style comment certainly implies it's a possibility. Regardless, i'll be getting it on PC.

Yes, that's the givaway. If this WAS an XB1 exclusive then MS would be promoting the hell out of that fact.

The PS5 Exists. 

BMaker11 said:
binary solo said:

It would have to do CoD well for that to happen. If it does 50% better than the previous game did on Xbox platforms that would not be nearly enough for SE to sign up for a long term console exclusivity deal and shut out the console with the 50% marketshare, and a gamer base that is generally more into TR-type games than the Xbox player base.

A PS4 port is almost certain. Consider the PR wording between MS with RTR and Sony with SF5. Sony was crystal clear about SF5 "SF5 will never come to another console platform." Of course this leaves open the appearance of SSF5 on any and all console platforms. But the message is not open to interpretation in any way with respect to SF5. Also the PR was very clear about PC. SF5 is coming to PC.

MS and CD on the other hand released all sorts of statements that are all smoke and mirrors around the exclusivity. Starting with the first announcement being about exclusivity in 2015. Clarification was immediately sought about what that means for other platforms and no clarification was forthcoming, only more murky statements. The oft quoted deal is "like DR3 / Ryse." Well any timed exclusivity deal is "LIKE" DR3 and Ryse in that they are timed exclusives. PR statements are always carefully worded and if the deal was permanent console exclusivity, which is the detail fo the exclusivity contract everyone is interested in, then PR statements would say "same as" not "like". Like means similar to but not the same, which means there are differences and so ultimately a "like" statement is more murky obfuscation. What is clear is that CD and SE are contractually prohibited from talking about other platforms for a period of time and especially prohibited from saying anything about a possible future PS4 port. And Phil Spencer is 100% correct in saying that it is not his job to talk about games coming to other platforms, his job is all about promoting the games that are on Xbox, so why anyone asks Phil about expansion to other platforms makes no sense, the freedom to move RTR to other platforms and the decision to do that, or not, is for SE and CD to answer once they are no longer contractually gagged.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/xbox-will-never-get-a-version-of-street-fighter-5-/1100-6427987/

"We are console exclusive for this franchise for this numbered run"

Also: http://blog.us.playstation.com/2015/07/18/street-fighter-v-a-new-way-to-play/

The initial disc is the only one you'll ever need to own.

Just wanted to point that out. This scenario is truly different from TR. There won't be a Super/Ultra/Mega/Definitive SF on Xbox. There could very well be a Rise of the Tomb Raider: Complete Edition on PS4. They'll probably work around it in the same way a game such as Ninja Gaiden 2 got worked around: rename the game (Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 in this scenario) and have the parent company publish (Tecmo did Sigma, SE would do RotTR).

Ah, I was not aware of those additional details. I seriously doubt that sort of "Sigma" trickery will be necessary. The sort of money MS would have to pay to keep RoTR off PS4 would be more than even the deep pockets of MS would be willing to pay. It's an exclusive for holiday 2015, which at the time of the deal looked like it would maximise the console selling potential of an exclusivity deal. I know of a few people who are likely to get Xb one this year because RoTR is exclusive to Xb one this year. And of course people who don't obssess and hyper-analyse PR around these things probably still think it's a perma-exclusive. Of course at least one of those people was plannig to get Xb one anyway for Gears 4, so this has brought forward teir Xb one purchase. But there is always benefit to getting people to buy a console sooner rather than later, as long as you are not losing a shit ton of money with hardware sales of course, which MS probably isn't; possibly losing a silent fart's worth of money but that's a non-issue for them.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

I'll wait til it comes to PS4 and if it doesn't then oh well.

OttoniBastos said:
GribbleGrunger said:

Which of course was more deliberately chosen wording. It's coming to the PS4.

There is something about this PR that bothers me.

One of the first times Phil Spencer talked about the exclusivity deal of RoTB,he said(and i'm gonna paraphrase since i don't remember the exactly words):

"We don't own the IP so we can't control where the IP goes in the future!"

Notice that he didn't talked about the game itself but the license,which makes me think that SE plan is to release this game exclusively for microsoft environments and continue the franchise as multiplatform after that.

That would explain why the game is called Rise of Tomb Raider and not Tomb raider 2: Rise of... since making a numbered,mainline game exclusive and then open the mainline again with the next game is not a good business plan(Capcom did exactly the same with Resident evil Code Veronica,which was suppose to be Resident evil 3,but since the games was originally conceived as a Dreamcast exclusive and they planned to continue the game in other platforms,they turned the game a spin-off/side story instead of a mainline one)

NOTE: Just to be clear,i hope i'm wrong since Tomb raider has a history on playstation and a big chunck(probably the biggest one) of the fanbase is here..

You need to develop an immunity to PR-speak. When a company doesn't speak very plainly about things (like Sony did speak very plainly with SF5) it means there's something significant they are not telling you. If they are not speaking very plainly about an exclusivity deal then you pretty much know that the exclusivity is not as exclusive, esp vis-a-vis their main competition, as they are wanting you to believe.

Also I have just met my daily use of vis-a-vis in a sentence quota.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix