By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Street Fighter V DLC characters can be earned by playing the game

VGPolyglot said:
Protendo said:

16 Core + 4 New is how I read it.

I'm pretty sure that it's 16, 12 veterans plus 4 newcomers.

That sucks. Granted most new fighting games have less. Killer Instinct, Guilty Gear Xrd, etc. I'll take a well balanced 16 over an unbalanced 20 any day.

Around the Network

Never would I have ever thought I would ever see Capcom come full circle.

Mystro-Sama said:
Never would I have ever thought I would ever see Capcom come full circle.

Let's hope that glory days Capcom is returning!

ArchangelMadzz said:
Conegamer said:
Earning character for free by playing the game? What is this, 2003?

What a crazy idea.

That's earning on-disc characters. Not characters created after the release of the game.

Nope, you can earn post-launch DLC characters with Fight Money or buy them with Zenny http://blog.us.playstation.com/2015/07/18/street-fighter-v-a-new-way-to-play/

Conegamer said:
ArchangelMadzz said:

That's earning on-disc characters. Not characters created after the release of the game.

Yeah, but that wasn't possible back then so it's sad to see it's taken so long to eventually arrive at this point. It's great yes but it should be somethng that's happened before, and it isn't the first time that a game has released new content for free, either. 

It's more a reflection of an issue with DLC cultures moreso than anything else, I guess. In addition we don't know how hard it is to unlock everything. Technically you don't need to pay in freemium games like Tapped Out either, but in actuality you do. 

It's not that it's releasing for free, it's the fact that it is paid DLC that you can obtain for free. I can get behind any model like this especially in F2P games, if people want to pay money to get things that's fine but make it possible for those who've purchased and invested time in your game to be rewarded with extra content at no extra cost.

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

Around the Network

Great stuff. Props to Capcom, SFV is shaping up to be great, can't wait to see more of the roster (please fix kens hair though)

Protendo said:
VGPolyglot said:

I'm pretty sure that it's 16, 12 veterans plus 4 newcomers.

That sucks. Granted most new fighting games have less. Killer Instinct, Guilty Gear Xrd, etc. I'll take a well balanced 16 over an unbalanced 20 any day.

SSB had way more, MK had more and it had 3 versions for each character, Injustice had more.  KI isn't $60 so that's not a fair comparison.  I think GG Xrd had the same not less.  I think this is a underwhelming roster by any standard. 

Unbelievable that people are actually trying to downplay this. This is great news!

"Say what you want about Americans but we understand Capitalism.You buy yourself a product and you Get What You Pay For."  

- Max Payne 3

Ah, future characters will be free because its launching with relatively compared to SFIV.

Frankly, I'm okay with this strategy. It worked fine with Killer Instinct.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

KingdomHeartsFan said:

SSB had way more, MK had more and it had 3 versions for each character, Injustice had more.  KI isn't $60 so that's not a fair comparison.  I think GG Xrd had the same not less.  I think this is a underwhelming roster by any standard. 

Those are unbalanced. MK is an unbalanced nightmare. The latest SB has a very small competitive roster.