By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Street Fighter V DLC characters can be earned by playing the game

GamechaserBE said:

Protendo said:

I like how you guys mock them instead of getting behind it.

These are characters not on the disc that you will be able to unlock at a later date. This is a first. This is th efirst pro consumer stance I've seen developers take in a while.

Because of

You can earn new content both ways what's the problem? There are no characters that won't give you can't unlock in game. Die hard Street Fighter fans will have enough currency for all content on release.

Conegamer said:
ArchangelMadzz said:

That's earning on-disc characters. Not characters created after the release of the game.

Yeah, but that wasn't possible back then so it's sad to see it's taken so long to eventually arrive at this point. It's great yes but it should be somethng that's happened before, and it isn't the first time that a game has released new content for free, either. 

It's more a reflection of an issue with DLC cultures moreso than anything else, I guess. In addition we don't know how hard it is to unlock everything. Technically you don't need to pay in freemium games like Tapped Out either, but in actuality you do. 

Name one fighting game where all the post DLC characters was free....  (One freebie character doesn't count when their are many behind a paywall)

Around the Network

Who cares if they use a currency balance? This way they profit off impatience, and those that don't want to spend money have an avenue for earning characters. I'm sure they aren't going to completely wreck this model by making it so the fight money takes ages to earn enough of just to get a new character or something like that. I imagine that as long as you're playing and enjoying the game, you'll get plenty of currency.

The buy it now option is mostly made to appeal to more casual players who can't or don't want to put forth the time investment to earn characters the free way. Shortcut microtransactions like this exist in a lot of different games, including the new MGSV, recent Tales of games, and plenty more.

Well the game only comes with 16 characters anyway...

Protendo said:
GamechaserBE said:

Protendo said:

I like how you guys mock them instead of getting behind it.

These are characters not on the disc that you will be able to unlock at a later date. This is a first. This is th efirst pro consumer stance I've seen developers take in a while.

Because of

You can earn new content both ways what's the problem? There are no characters that won't give you can't unlock in game. Die hard Street Fighter fans will have enough currency for all content on release.

if it was not a problem you would have put it in the OP but you did not because you know gamers tend to hate microtransactions in game or you missed the backslash of other games that have microtransactions or remember the MK combat krypt unlock? 

Wow is capcom crazy? That's not the way to offer new characters every developer knows the right way is by charging money. I'm deeply insult by capcom shitty business practices and I will noy buy this game when I get my ps4.

Around the Network
KingdomHeartsFan said:

16 Core + 4 New is how I read it.

GamechaserBE said:
Protendo said:

if it was not a problem you would have put it in the OP but you did not because you know gamers tend to hate microtransactions in game or you missed the backslash of other games that have microtransactions or remember the MK combat krypt unlock? 

Actually I didn't put it in because it wasn't in my source. It doesn't change anything. It's great!

Protendo said:
KingdomHeartsFan said:

16 Core + 4 New is how I read it.

I'm pretty sure that it's 16, 12 veterans plus 4 newcomers.

Protendo said:
KingdomHeartsFan said:

16 Core + 4 New

16 total at launch, 4 of which are brand new to the SF universe

Might wanna update the OP with this: http://blog.us.playstation.com/2015/07/18/street-fighter-v-a-new-way-to-play/

Protendo said:
KingdomHeartsFan said:

16 Core + 4 New

Sounds like 16 total, and 4 of those are new characters.  "The game will launch with a core roster of 16 playable characters."  I don't think core means returning characters, not to mention there's only 16 character slots in the image.