By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Street Fighter V DLC characters can be earned by playing the game

Interesting news for sure but I would not get hyped just yet not until we know how the economy works. It's very unlikely the grind will be easy and fast. There's possibly characters, alternate colors, costumes, bonus stages, game modes, alternate soundtracks, who knows. Fighting game community is known to be hardcore and to play huge amount of hours, it would not make sense to give them all the extra for free. Couple hundred hours is nothing to average fighting game player. Why give up profit when Capcom knows these players were willing to buy SSF4, SSF4AE and USSF4? Based on this alone, I'm thinking the grind will be gigantic. This is still OK if Capcom keeps DLC prices comparable to Street Fighter 4 expansions. However if expansion that cost in the past $15 is now going to cost $25 or single character from $5 to $7, then it is worse than what we have now. Another problem could be if new characters are "timed exclusives", you could buy them with real money or 2 months later with in-game money.

This all is just speculations but I cannot see why Capcom would give up all that expansion money for free through gameplay.

I cannot imagine toilet-free life.

Kebabs have a unique attribute compared to other consumables. To unlock this effect you need to wolf down a big ass kebab really fast, like under 10 minutes or so and wait for the effect to kick in. If done correctly your movements should feel unbelievably heavy to the point where you literally cannot move at all.

-Downtown Alanya Kebab magazine issue no.198

Around the Network
Mr Puggsly said:
KingdomHeartsFan said:
Protendo said:

That sucks. Granted most new fighting games have less. Killer Instinct, Guilty Gear Xrd, etc. I'll take a well balanced 16 over an unbalanced 20 any day.

SSB had way more, MK had more and it had 3 versions for each character, Injustice had more.  KI isn't $60 so that's not a fair comparison.  I think GG Xrd had the same not less.  I think this is a underwhelming roster by any standard. 

That's the thing, I don't think people look at SSB, MK, or Injustice as balanced games.

Bottom line, SFV is going launch with 16 character but more are coming. I imagine around 7-10 characters are coming before they can justify selling additional characters.

The article says all the future characters are gonna be earnable for free, so they won't be "selling" any additional characters in the sense that real world money is the only way to obtain them.

I compare these news to the likes of when they announce a game and they say that it will feature a single player mode.

I'm not celebrating something that should be the norm for video games.

ARamdomGamer said:
I compare these news to the likes of when they announce a game and they say that it will feature a single player mode.

So you would rather ignore pro-consumer practices, showing developers they don't pay off. Giving them more leverage to not follow suit. 

To each their own.

DerNebel said:
This is unexpected and actually pretty big news. It does still depend on how the whole ingame economy is balanced of course, but generally this is a very positive thing in todays gaming landscape.

To be fair, this is due to the relatively small cast the game is launching. Hence, its a similar rush to market strategy Killer Instainct was criticized for.

SFV can't be 16 chracters for $60, espeically after SFIV launched with 25.

Frankly, I'm okay with this strategy because I want to play SFV soon, but I don't want it rushed. So we can play what's ready now. However, this is also fodder for those who complain about incomplete games on the market.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network
Protendo said:
VGPolyglot said:

I'm pretty sure that it's 16, 12 veterans plus 4 newcomers.

That sucks. Granted most new fighting games have less. Killer Instinct, Guilty Gear Xrd, etc. I'll take a well balanced 16 over an unbalanced 20 any day.

Like super smash.....*runs away*

Anyway im surprised some people are reacting negative to this because to any SF fan this is fantastic news! 

Options are always good so no need to complain about using real or in game money.

Also dont understand why people are down playing the roster because if you know sf at all it has always started a main line game with 12-16 characters.

Protendo said:
ARamdomGamer said:

So you would rather ignore pro-consumer practices, showing developers they don't pay off. Giving them more leverage to not follow suit. 

To each their own.

My input wouldn't matter anyway as I'm not purchasing this game (not a fan of fighting games) so even if I applaud them It wouldn't matter and again, stuff like this didn't happen in games like Super Smash Bros. Melee or Brawl.

Sounds great to me. Now, hopefully Capcom doesn't make it ridiculously hard to get the characters.

Beta starts soon right? Haven't got an email..

KingdomHeartsFan said:
Mr Puggsly said:

That's the thing, I don't think people look at SSB, MK, or Injustice as balanced games.

Bottom line, SFV is going launch with 16 character but more are coming. I imagine around 7-10 characters are coming before they can justify selling additional characters.

The article says all the future characters are gonna be earnable for free, so they won't be "selling" any additional characters in the sense that real world money is the only way to obtain them.

If they don't plan on selling any characters ever, well I guess they will push costumes and other micro transactions.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)