By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Street Fighter V DLC characters can be earned by playing the game

If you are a casual gamer who bought a $60 game. What is the difference between those hardcore players who have time to invest against casual? They bought the game with the same price. Pretty odd for Capcom to do that. But it is really DLC in today's generation. Any game you want to develop you wanted extra income while gamers are playing those games. So RPGs has skins/outfits or added quests etc. sports games has those virtual money for creating fantasy teams/player attributes on your career etc.
for fighting, money for new characters you want to play with.

Around the Network
gabzjmm23 said:
If you are a casual gamer who bought a $60 game. What is the difference between those hardcore players who have time to invest against casual? They bought the game with the same price. Pretty odd for Capcom to do that. But it is really DLC in today's generation. Any game you want to develop you wanted extra income while gamers are playing those games. So RPGs has skins/outfits or added quests etc. sports games has those virtual money for creating fantasy teams/player attributes on your career etc.
for fighting, money for new characters you want to play with.

It's basically a pay for cheat codes situation.  People will pay for cheat codes. Some people didn't want to unlock content the real way.

Fighters Megamix is a prime example of this. People paid for a pro action replay to unlock all the content.

Protendo said:
VGPolyglot said:

I'm pretty sure that it's 16, 12 veterans plus 4 newcomers.

That sucks. Granted most new fighting games have less. Killer Instinct, Guilty Gear Xrd, etc. I'll take a well balanced 16 over an unbalanced 20 any day.

most? Street fighter IV had like 25/Smash brothers had more/Mortal Kombat X had 24 not including season pass and the guilty Gear on PS4 had 17 but granted two behind DLC?  Injustice had like 30 characters? is their a fighting game on PS4 with less characters? Killer instinct had less but 20$ for 16 characters would have been crazy.

It's ridiculous how this is even news...

Protendo said:
KingdomHeartsFan said:

SSB had way more, MK had more and it had 3 versions for each character, Injustice had more.  KI isn't $60 so that's not a fair comparison.  I think GG Xrd had the same not less.  I think this is a underwhelming roster by any standard. 

Those are unbalanced. MK is an unbalanced nightmare.

Irrelevant you said most fighters have less and that's not true.  This is pretty much close to the bottom of the competition when it comes to roster size.

Around the Network
GamechaserBE said:
Protendo said:

That sucks. Granted most new fighting games have less. Killer Instinct, Guilty Gear Xrd, etc. I'll take a well balanced 16 over an unbalanced 20 any day.

most? Street fighter IV had like 25/Smash brothers had more/Mortal Kombat X had 24 not including season pass and the guilty Gear on PS4 had 17 but granted two behind DLC?  Injustice had like 30 characters? is their a fighting game on PS4 with less characters? Killer instinct had less but 20$ for 16 characters would have been crazy.

So we can list some with more and some with less.  The ones that first came into my mind had less. Big deal. This is trivial.

KingdomHeartsFan said:
Protendo said:

Those are unbalanced. MK is an unbalanced nightmare.

Irrelevant you said most fighters have less and that's not true.  This is pretty much close to the bottom of the competition when it comes to roster size.

I'm not fighting this. Your arguing semantics with someone whom English is their second language.

I did say: I'll take a well balanced 16 over an unbalanced 20 any day.

Figured that was clear enough.

This is unexpected and actually pretty big news. It does still depend on how the whole ingame economy is balanced of course, but generally this is a very positive thing in todays gaming landscape.

KingdomHeartsFan said:
Protendo said:

SSB had way more, MK had more and it had 3 versions for each character, Injustice had more.  KI isn't $60 so that's not a fair comparison.  I think GG Xrd had the same not less.  I think this is a underwhelming roster by any standard. 

That's the thing, I don't think people look at SSB, MK, or Injustice as balanced games.

Bottom line, SFV is going launch with 16 character but more are coming. I imagine around 7-10 characters are coming before they can justify selling additional characters.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Protendo said:
GamechaserBE said:

I'm not fighting this. Your arguing semantics with someone whom English is their second language.

I'm not arguing semantics, you said most fighting games have less and I was trying to educate you.

KingdomHeartsFan said:
Protendo said:

I'm not arguing semantics, you said most fighting games have less and I was trying to educate you.

I was refering to balanced fighters. You listed unbalanced fighters. So it was either a semantics problem or a complete misunderstanding.