By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Splatoon had been datamined- Rainmaker online mode complete details revealed, 33 more weapons to be released, 10 maps on disc, and more!

RolStoppable said:
pokoko said:

I know, I remember that.

But if you've paid for the disc ... how is that content free?  Is it not already paid for?  Isn't that one of the primary arguments against on-disc DLC?  And, if you've paid for it, is it really okay for someone else to dictate when you can access it?  

It's kind of confusing to keep all the arguments straight, especially when some people change their arguments in an arbitrary fashion.  Not saying you've done that; as you've said, you had already approved of this before-hand.

However, it is very interesting to watch attitudes change.  Not so long ago, this would have been universally condemned. 

I'll break up the four questions that you put into a single paragraph:

1+2. If we go into semantics, then Splatoon's unlocked content isn't a bonus, but merely the completion of the product you have already paid for.

3. The primary argument against on-disc DLC has always been that you get charged extra for it, so it's $60 plus whatever a publisher felt like charging on top of that. This is obviously not the case for Splatoon, so it's an entirely different situation.

4. If we once again go into semantics, games commonly dictate when you can access content. This includes forced tutorials and mindboggingly boring sections you have to go through before you get to the good parts; or having to beat the entire game on normal difficulty, because hard mode (what you actually wanted to play) is locked. Of course, this is not the exact same situation as Splatoon, but paying for a video game more often than not means that you don't get to play what you want and how you want right away. The thing that is the same across all games, including Splatoon, is that it's up to the individual to decide what is acceptable. Since Splatoon is an online multiplayer focused game, anyone who bought it already planned to play the game for several weeks, if not months. That makes the staggered release less of a problem than it would for, say, a single player game. You see opinions differ; people who play the game a lot would obviously want new content to be released at a quicker rate, but those who only play the game a few hours per week don't get burned out on the available content.

As for your closing remark, and I think this is really your key point, I refer you to answer 3. Splatoon isn't guilty of doing what other games have done in the past.

Don't get me wrong, I don't really have a problem with what Splatoon is doing, not as long as people are aware of the format.  However, I don't think content you unlock by playing is an apt comparison, as that content is unlocked by your own actions and pace, not the publisher's.

As for point 3, that's not completely true.  I've seen people upset over "free" on-disc DLC before, though I suppose it's not exactly the same, as that's generally gated off for people who buy a used copy.

Around the Network

Some great things to look forward to!
*Leaves PC and goes over to turn on Splatoon*

Holy Fuck!!! Thats a lot of weapons!!! But i do hope some of them will be able to be unlock when you reach that new level cap. Since these 2 new modes might require the player to play more turf wars or splat zones. Like at level 25, it allows you to play rainmaker rank mode.

Pocky Lover Boy! 

pokoko said:
RolStoppable said:

How do you feel about the additional content that has been released so far? It seems to be in line with my reasonable assumptions, so I was right after all.

Was that free content or on-disc content?

Why or? Free on-disc-content.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Jranation said:
Holy Fuck!!! Thats a lot of weapons!!! But i do hope some of them will be able to be unlock when you reach that new level cap. Since these 2 new modes might require the player to play more turf wars or splat zones. Like at level 25, it allows you to play rainmaker rank mode.

What new level cap?

Around the Network

This is goood news!!.... but if they charge I'm pissed! 

Man that stuff looks cool. Rainmaker sounds fun too!

RolStoppable said:
pokoko said:

Don't get me wrong, I don't really have a problem with what Splatoon is doing, not as long as people are aware of the format.  However, I don't think content you unlock by playing is an apt comparison, as that content is unlocked by your own actions and pace, not the publisher's.

As for point 3, that's not completely true.  I've seen people upset over "free" on-disc DLC before, though I suppose it's not exactly the same, as that's generally gated off for people who buy a used copy.

I said it's not the same. But on the other hand, people who bought and will buy Splatoon after launch have access to more content from the first time they put the disc in. The whole "Splatoon limits the amount of content you can access" debate will be done for by the end of August, because everyone who buys the game after that date won't have to worry about Nintendo unlocking content as everything will already be available.

Do you mean online passes?

No, not online passes, but actual content.  One of the first I remember was RAGE, which gave people who bought a new copy access to sewer missions as an incentive to buy new.  I remember Jim Sterling praising the approach on Destructoid.  Another was Dragon Age: Origins, which gave people who bought the game new another character (just a golem) and a fortress home (important for item storage).  There were complaints over that, I remember.

should ign change the splatoon's score?

Holy smokes, that's a lot of weapons... I don't think I can handle having that many x ) Cool to hear a new mode and some of the maps have been shown. Can't wait for them to be released soon... x ) I wonder why they held it back. Maybe they are still testing it. They def rushed this game o:

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread