By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Splatoon had been datamined- Rainmaker online mode complete details revealed, 33 more weapons to be released, 10 maps on disc, and more!

Lafiel said:
RolStoppable said:
Lafiel said:

Well, they can't score what they can't play, so I guess reviewers just shouldn't have touched the game until it was complete, huh?

This doesn't work as an argument because reviewers commonly score what they haven't played, especially when it comes to RPGs. Untouched content is factored into the score based on the quality of the content that was played, so there was no good reason why they shouldn't have done the same for Splatoon. Like the dolphin said, at the time of the reviews everyone already knew that more content was going to come.

Those situations may seem similar, but are clearly not the same. Ofcourse many reviewers rate content laden games after playing a chunk they feel is representative of the whole instead of 100%ing it.

But they can choose how much they need to be certain themselves and can quickly confirm their impression of the quality of the "untouched content" in the days after the reviews as many continue to play (great) games after the review is published. And all modes of a game usually are tested aswell, which is not possible when they are not unlocked - different modes can lead to a very different game experience, you simply can't rate them off of your experience with other modes.

So your argument here feels quite a bit insincere to me.

The reviewers that explicitly deducted points for missing content at release (I have no reason to believe the others rated Splatoon differently from what you described as the norm) should feel more obliged to update their reviews for their integrities sake, but it's not mandatory in my opinion, as readers themselves should be aware that their purchase decision is best made on the most up-to-date reviews.

So intergrity isn't mandatory for reviewers in your opinion?

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
Teeqoz said:

Just because they can get away with it because it's a new a IP does not make it good practice. I understand why they did it, but I still think it's wrong.

I get that people are conflicted about this, but if you go through the requirements to make something like Splatoon work, then it's obvious that it's not going to become a widespread practice.

1. New IP
2. Online multiplayer focused
3. Highly addictive gameplay
4. No competition

It really isn't anything to worry about because most publishers won't be able to meet 3 and 4 due to their ongoing struggles when it comes to delivering polished games and pursuing innovation. And, of course, their greed won't allow them to hand out more content for free; instead they will charge for it. Splatoon goes against industry standards.

Oh Rol, you never fail to crack me up lol.

On a serious note, I'm not really afraid it'll become a widespread practice, and I still enjoy Splatoon a lot, but it's just....wrong... to do it this way.

RolStoppable said:
Teeqoz said:

Oh Rol, you never fail to crack me up lol.

On a serious note, I'm not really afraid it'll become a widespread practice, and I still enjoy Splatoon a lot, but it's just....wrong... to do it this way.

You wanted to pay for it? Or you would have prefered it to be an unfinished game where you have to download content later on?

Anyway, you know how the saying goes: Kart is smart, Smash is trash and Splatoon is for the loon.

I wanted to get the entire game at once, but if that wasn't possible cause the content wasn't finished yet, then I wouldn't mind too much (still wouldn't be optimal though). But in this case the content is on disc and finished, so the ideal thing to do would be to just have it all availible from the start...

Teeqoz said:

I wanted to get the entire game at once, but if that wasn't possible cause the content wasn't finished yet, then I wouldn't mind too much (still wouldn't be optimal though). But in this case the content is on disc and finished, so the ideal thing to do would be to just have it all availible from the start...

I don't see the problem here. If you want all of it at once then just wait.

Einsam_Delphin said:
Jranation said:
Holy Fuck!!! Thats a lot of weapons!!! But i do hope some of them will be able to be unlock when you reach that new level cap. Since these 2 new modes might require the player to play more turf wars or splat zones. Like at level 25, it allows you to play rainmaker rank mode.

What new level cap?

No, i was saying they should increase the level cap, and have the Rainmaker rank mode to players who reach level 25 <--- it was just a suggestion 

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Around the Network
Einsam_Delphin said:
Teeqoz said:

I don't see the problem here. If you want all of it at once then just wait.

I could say the same thing about games with DLC et al.  If you want it all at once, then just wait for the inevitable GOTY/legendary/whatever edition. You'll get it for the price of a normal 60$ game, so what's the problem with that?

And no, I couldn't really wait, because it was the only bundle availible, and I was buying it as a gift for my little brother.

It's a new game, with new mechanics and a new gameplay concept. They are releasing the content little by little because they want to balance things, it seems logical to me. They want to know how each set of weapons works, make some adjustments and move on to the next. Maybe if they throw them all together they could be outbalanced, this way they can control things better. It's a totally new and fresh content, give it some time. When Splatoon 2 will come out it won't have the same issues, I'm almost sure of it.

WOW, that's alot.

Now that it seems like most content was actually ready at launch, I wonder if they are working on some additional support/DLC/paidDLC to release in August and beyond?
I wish we could get local turf wars but I think the wiiU might not be capable of that. Now they have to build some sort of gyro into their next controller because I love it and the inevitable Splatoon sequel needs to have it, please.

SuperNova said:
Now that it seems like most content was actually ready at launch, I wonder if they are working on some additional support/DLC/paidDLC to release in August and beyond?
I wish we could get local turf wars but I think the wiiU might not be capable of that. Now they have to build some sort of gyro into their next controller because I love it and the inevitable Splatoon sequel needs to have it, please.

Yes, please. I suck without the gyro controls XDD. I didn't think that there would be such a massive difference to me between gyro and normal controls, but the improvement is massive...