By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Splatoon had been datamined- Rainmaker online mode complete details revealed, 33 more weapons to be released, 10 maps on disc, and more!

I don't like the on disc DLC practices (hey Capcom!), but I guess I'm fine with how Splatoon is doing it. I'll buy the game in July or August, by that time there'll be more content. Besides I don't have much time to play other genre than isn't JRPG.

And talking about Capcom... Yes, SF X TEKKEN was a nasty thing to do. But MH3U has free DLC, and that's my favorite game ever, so props to them!

Around the Network
cycycychris said:

No, once you change one game score for content after launch, you have tochange all games scores after launch that get free content. Or, atleast all future game reviews. 

IGN editors have claimed before that they would change a game's score if an update significantly changed the situation.

They're full of shit though, because like every other site that says stuff like that, they just say 'that wasn't what was holding the game back, it didn't affect the score' even if their primary complaint is addressed. Look at Codename STEAM, the reviewer's main complaint was the inability to speed up enemy turns. He emphasized that this was the game's greatest flaw multiple times during their Nintendo podcast. In the end he gave the game a 7.9. That was fixed within a month. No change to the score. Not even a tenth of a point higher? Really, Jose?

I do expect a revision to the Splatoon review after the August update, because that update has actual attention around it. People are hyping it up even though the only thing we know about it is that it will add team modes. Really the review could at least get a PS right now since they've already added a bunch of stuff, but they won't do it until it will be a 'story.'

cycycychris said:
JRPGfan said:
Why do they lock content away they sell you on the game disk, and expect you to pay for it?
Im not a fan of this trend.

They are releasing all this for free.... I know its not ideal but they aren't charging you for it. They are just trying to keep the game active for a long period of time, which will help the IP in the future.

Does it really? They release things really slow. People will stop playing it. You get tired of repetativiness. Once a big thing like rainmaker mode comes out. People will come back. Than the cycle repeats. I doubt it really extends the life. There's jsut now active, pause, active, pause, active. Instead of Active for majority a year. Than pause for the rest of the time. It's liek GTA V multiplayer making the vehicles so expensive. That by the time you get what you wanted. You played the game so much. You don't care about it anymore. Once you got your whatever. And then it gets pushed aside.

RolStoppable said:
Mummelmann said:

It's still restricting access to content for no good reason, that coupled with the map rotation puts needless strain in a game genre that should focus more on variation and choice.

On disc DLC, be it free or not, is a horrible practice imo. It doesn't matter whether or not it's finished; the fact that it is all there makes it unfair to early adopters. Late adopters will not only get the game cheaper, they will also have a lot more content, and this is true for many games but not when it comes to intended core content in the main release.

"Unconventional" and "unique" are words people often use for Nintendo when they're doing something one shouldn't really support or something that doesn't make any sense to most. Just because no one has done it in this exact fashion before does not make it a fantastic thing.
I am reminded of the picture of the fork that is all bent out of shape with the text "just because you're special, that doesn't mean you're useful".

I know you will never agree with it but people are entitled to their opinion on the matter.

It isn't unfair to early adopters when it's known that additional content will be released/unlocked in small bits. Nobody was lured into a trap and ripped off. It's also doubtful that late adopters will get the game cheaper.

Except many of those early adopters didn't know the content was finished and on disc.

cycycychris said:

They are releasing all this for free.... I know its not ideal but they aren't charging you for it. They are just trying to keep the game active for a long period of time, which will help the IP in the future.

Yup, limiting players options and forcing monotony on what content can be accessed and when it can be accessed is certainly a great way to cultivate a thriving community. 

Current gaming platforms - Switch, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Wii U, New 3DS, PC

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
Teeqoz said:

Except many of those early adopters didn't know the content was finished and on disc.

Does it make a difference? Either way they won't have to pay extra.

Yes it makes a difference. It means they are intentionally holding back finished content from you, wether it's gonna be availible for free or not.

It's like if Mario Kart launches with just 50cc and 10 tracks, and 100cc, 150cc and the other 22 (?) tracks are added in updates in the following three months.

RolStoppable said:
Teeqoz said:

Yes it makes a difference. It means they are intentionally holding back finished content from you, wether it's gonna be availible for free or not.

It's like if Mario Kart launches with just 50cc and 10 tracks, and 100cc, 150cc and the other 22 (?) tracks are added in updates in the following three months.

Yes, they have been holding back content intentionally. The game was already finished when it shipped.

I see what you are trying to get at with your Mario Kart comparison, but that would never work for Nintendo because it's an established IP that has to meet certain expectations. Splatoon can only do it because it's a new IP which means that Nintendo won't be able to do the same with the sequel on the next Nintendo hardware.

I wanted to say the same, thanks for saving me the effort.

RolStoppable said:
Teeqoz said:

Yes, they have been holding back content intentionally. The game was already finished when it shipped.

I see what you are trying to get at with your Mario Kart comparison, but that would never work for Nintendo because it's an established IP that has to meet certain expectations. Splatoon can only do it because it's a new IP which means that Nintendo won't be able to do the same with the sequel on the next Nintendo hardware.

Just because they can get away with it because it's a new a IP does not make it good practice. I understand why they did it, but I still think it's wrong.

Ah this is how I like it, already enjoying a ton out of the initial release then they keep on giving more free stuff(hopefully all), yeah this will keep me hooked for a very long time.

Nintendo Switch FC: SW-6340-7643-4233 aka Renji

Steam: Lee Roid

Like I said before, Splatoon has a HUGE balancing concern, as they're trying to deliver a premium competitive experience without never doing anything similar before. This is why they will release stuff slowly, so they can see if anything is outbalanced. Expect this game to jump from Smash 64 to Melee level in a few years.