By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Splatoon had been datamined- Rainmaker online mode complete details revealed, 33 more weapons to be released, 10 maps on disc, and more!

HALLLELUJA"!!!!!!! Love the skyscraper one.

The on disc thing is just a plan to have people er....keep playing over a long period of time! :d

Around the Network

Why do they lock content away they sell you on the game disk, and expect you to pay for it?
Im not a fan of this trend.

God, this is awesome to watch.  I won't lie, I'm really, really excited about this conversation and the implications it has elsewhere.  I'm in love with the fact that this is being embraced so unconditionally, without the slightest bit of discord.

Seriously, this is awesome.

RolStoppable said:
Mummelmann said:

It's still restricting access to content for no good reason, that coupled with the map rotation puts needless strain in a game genre that should focus more on variation and choice.

On disc DLC, be it free or not, is a horrible practice imo. It doesn't matter whether or not it's finished; the fact that it is all there makes it unfair to early adopters. Late adopters will not only get the game cheaper, they will also have a lot more content, and this is true for many games but not when it comes to intended core content in the main release.

"Unconventional" and "unique" are words people often use for Nintendo when they're doing something one shouldn't really support or something that doesn't make any sense to most. Just because no one has done it in this exact fashion before does not make it a fantastic thing.
I am reminded of the picture of the fork that is all bent out of shape with the text "just because you're special, that doesn't mean you're useful".

I know you will never agree with it but people are entitled to their opinion on the matter.

It isn't unfair to early adopters when it's known that additional content will be released/unlocked in small bits. Nobody was lured into a trap and ripped off. It's also doubtful that late adopters will get the game cheaper.

I have to agree with this. Nintendo didn't hide the fact that content was locked away so early adopters knew what they were getting Day 1.

RolStoppable said:
pokoko said:

God, this is awesome to watch.  I won't lie, I'm really, really excited about this conversation and the implications it has elsewhere.  I'm in love with the fact that this is being embraced so unconditionally, without the slightest bit of discord.

Seriously, this is awesome.

How do you feel about the additional content that has been released so far? It seems to be in line with my reasonable assumptions, so I was right after all.

Was that free content or on-disc content?

Around the Network

Nice amount of maps. Rainmaker sounds like capture the flag which is awesome.

We also get to hold Nintendo accountable for releasing these content for free later but I'm sure they will.

cycycychris said:
Superquagsire said:
I'm really glad that the leaker is keeping secret about the details of the rainmaker mode. It shows that he is much more mature than other leakers out there. I'd rather be surprised when Nintendo announces it rather than it being leaked.

Well.... He kind of just leaked them.

At least he held it a secret for like 4 hours.

*Sigh* And the Internet strikes again -_-

But I wonder why is it called rain maker if it doesn't make rain? I expected it to make rain puddles of the opponents color of ink or something...

VGPolyglot said:

If Nintendo wanted higher reviews, they should have had it all from the start. Why would the reviewers feel silly for that?

The score they got was still good enough. What Nintendo really wanted was more players actively playing considering the game lives or dies by it's online unlike Smash n Kart.

Reviewers should feel silly for making irrelevant reviews.

RolStoppable said:
Lafiel said:
Einsam_Delphin said:

Actually you're right, they should feel silly to begin with as we already knew about these updates.

Well, they can't score what they can't play, so I guess reviewers just shouldn't have touched the game until it was complete, huh?

This doesn't work as an argument because reviewers commonly score what they haven't played, especially when it comes to RPGs. Untouched content is factored into the score based on the quality of the content that was played, so there was no good reason why they shouldn't have done the same for Splatoon. Like the dolphin said, at the time of the reviews everyone already knew that more content was going to come.

Those situations may seem similar, but are clearly not the same. Ofcourse many reviewers rate content laden games after playing a chunk they feel is representative of the whole instead of 100%ing it.

But they can choose how much they need to be certain themselves and can quickly confirm their impression of the quality of the "untouched content" in the days after the reviews as many continue to play (great) games after the review is published. And all modes of a game usually are tested aswell, which is not possible when they are not unlocked - different modes can lead to a very different game experience, you simply can't rate them off of your experience with other modes.

So your argument here feels quite a bit insincere to me.

The reviewers that explicitly deducted points for missing content at release (I have no reason to believe the others rated Splatoon differently from what you described as the norm) should feel more obliged to update their reviews for their integrities sake, but it's not mandatory in my opinion, as readers themselves should be aware that their purchase decision is best made on the most up-to-date reviews.

RolStoppable said:
pokoko said:

Was that free content or on-disc content?

I don't see what kind of distinction you are trying to make. Splatoon has free on-disc content.

But if it's important for you, I had a conversation with Ka-pi96 where I said that I am rooting for the content to be on the disc already.

I know, I remember that.

But if you've paid for the disc ... how is that content free?  Is it not already paid for?  Isn't that one of the primary arguments against on-disc DLC?  And, if you've paid for it, is it really okay for someone else to dictate when you can access it?  

It's kind of confusing to keep all the arguments straight, especially when some people change their arguments in an arbitrary fashion.  Not saying you've done that; as you've said, you had already approved of this before-hand.

However, it is very interesting to watch attitudes change.  Not so long ago, this would have been universally condemned.