By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Splatoon Shatters Expectations (YES, Finally!)

EricFabian said:
Mummelmann said:
Well, I will easily admit that I underestimated the sales potential of this title.

That said; let's see global figures and longevity before we get too eager to dose out the black birds to everyone.

OH no. We need to mock them all. A lot of people called Splatoon TW101 bomba level. We need to cook some crow now

You aint lying, there are numerous threads here and even with sales now there is currecnt downplay comments (lol).

Here are some examples on gaf...

Originally Posted by MJFJD 

I am expecting slightly better sales than wonderful 101. So no, not a major new IP.

Originally Posted by BkzUzi 

Sell as well as Pikmin 3. I don't think it'll be anywhere close to Mario Kart/Smash or sell as bad as W101.

Originally Posted by Fiercedeity 

It'll bomb.

Originally Posted by Infernostew 

It doesn't have Mario in it so I don't expect it to do very well.

Originally Posted by Who 

I honestly expect it to flop...

I hope that in wrong though

Originally Posted by Chobel 

You mean the next major Nintendo bomba?

Originally Posted by Toxi 

I mean, did you expect Codename S.T.E.A.M. to be the next big Nintendo IP? The Wonderful 101?

Originally Posted by Danielsan 

I'm expecting Wonderful 101 levels of bomb.

Originally Posted by Chezzymann 

I expect it to sell around the same as the wonderful 101. At very, very best pikmin 3. And that's me being optimistic. So no I don't think it will.

Originally Posted by Devilgunman 

It will be as major ip as Chibi Robo.

Originally Posted by -Pyromaniac- 

I'll be legit surprised if this game doesn't bomb. I guess we'd have to discuss what constitutes a bomb though considering the low user base. I should be clear though that the base isn't the reason I think it will bomb. I just don't think the game has a lot of appeal.

But yeah what is considered a bomb in sales for the wii u in terms of numbers.

Around the Network
tbone51 said:
Mummelmann said:
Well, I will easily admit that I underestimated the sales potential of this title.

That said; let's see global figures and longevity before we get too eager to dose out the black birds to everyone.

YEah normally you be right but with japan sales and many predictions seen here and on gaf, i think this by itself (japan) warrants the thread. I had one of the most optimistic predictions here and that was shattered. Nintendo didnt even realise how big this would be, with its 150k shipment.

Fair enough, personally I believed that Japan would be its best region. Partly because it costs a lot more in NA and partly because the concept and Nintendo overall aren't as big in Europe. UK numbers place Splatoon at around 20 or so first week, and this is by far the biggest European market.

We'll see the global numbers, but yes, the doubters were proven wrong and I was among them for sure.

Not another thread.... You getting working up expecting a million over 145k. Sigh. At this point, you should just get mods to make some special spaltoon location for all spaltoon threads.

All Stats S rank

tbone51 said:
super_etecoon said:
What happened to a world when people could quietly and confidently accept success without requiring other people to feast on nearly inedible birds? This would be like me gloating if the Raiders were to beat the Patriots or something. Accept the small victory and hope for more...or else you'll be eating that same dish over and over and over again.

Its not a small victory... Not even close

Really?  It's not?  It means the WiiU's fortunes are turning around?  It means the WiiU will pass the Gamecube? This is a very small victory in the war that is this gen.  Sadly it won't change many minds...but threads like this throwing it in people's faces doesn't really help either.  I appreciate your enthusiasm and energy, and I know how much you are a champion for the cause, but it just seems too soon to be so bold.  But hey, to each his own.  I'll continue to hope Nintendo can turn this thing around, but I think there are just too many people who love to see the company on its knees, and all this gloating over one title will just result in a tenfold retaliation as the WiiU fails to deliver on our optomistic expectations.

super_etecoon said:
What happened to a world when people could quietly and confidently accept success without requiring other people to feast on nearly inedible birds? This would be like me gloating if the Raiders were to beat the Patriots or something. Accept the small victory and hope for more...or else you'll be eating that same dish over and over and over again.

That hasnt existed on the internet like...ever.   It's always two sides. The one side who has been doing the bashing and taunting and then the other side who has been the optimistic and hopeful side. Then if the bashing/taunting side wins they go on a tirade of ''i told you so'' and continue their taunting and belittle of the other side. But if that taunting/bashing side lose, they'll downplay it as nothing big,just so they dont have to admit they're wrong

then you got the other side who were optimistic and hopeful that do the same thing really, they'll say i told you so and rub it in the other other sides face

its the never ending cycle :O

NND: 0047-7271-7918 | XBL: Nights illusion | PSN: GameNChick

Around the Network

Okay, I predicted Splatoon would sell less than 100K in Japan and only 220K. Can I have some ketchup with the serving of crow?

Send a Friend Request On PSN :P

Mummelmann said:
tbone51 said:

YEah normally you be right but with japan sales and many predictions seen here and on gaf, i think this by itself (japan) warrants the thread. I had one of the most optimistic predictions here and that was shattered. Nintendo didnt even realise how big this would be, with its 150k shipment.

Fair enough, personally I believed that Japan would be its best region. Partly because it costs a lot more in NA and partly because the concept and Nintendo overall aren't as big in Europe. UK numbers place Splatoon at around 20 or so first week, and this is by far the biggest European market.

We'll see the global numbers, but yes, the doubters were proven wrong and I was among them for sure.

Well tbf though i dont think Europe will be as good like some might think, UK is not nintendo's biggest market in Europe. France/Germany>>>UK. Only a handful of nintendo games do as well. Its equivelent to xbox1 in jappan, but to a much lesser extent.

As for US, i dunno. I would of thought MP would be bigger in Japan than US but it was the opposite and by a big margin. US can be 100k FW, or maybe 250k. Hard to predict.

Good to see that it sold well for a new IP

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

Bell_Cranel said:

Not another thread.... You getting working up expecting a million over 145k. Sigh. At this point, you should just get mods to make some special spaltoon location for all spaltoon threads.

Im expecting a million.... in shipments in a month. its at 145k with a shipment of 150k FW (Just japan). Many predictions were shattered, hence the CROW thread

super_etecoon said:
tbone51 said:

Its not a small victory... Not even close

Really?  It's not?  It means the WiiU's fortunes are turning around?  It means the WiiU will pass the Gamecube? This is a very small victory in the war that is this gen.  Sadly it won't change many minds...but threads like this throwing it in people's faces doesn't really help either.  I appreciate your enthusiasm and energy, and I know how much you are a champion for the cause, but it just seems too soon to be so bold.  But hey, to each his own.  I'll continue to hope Nintendo can turn this thing around, but I think there are just too many people who love to see the company on its knees, and all this gloating over one title will just result in a tenfold retaliation as the WiiU fails to deliver on our optomistic expectations.

Ohhhhh did i say anything about wiiu turning around lol? I think your twisting words, your not understanding this thread at all. Lets start off about Software sales, NOT HARDWARE SALES.

Your overreacting on something that im not even discussing... :/