By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Fast Racing Neo Screenshots / The Future Is Fast

spemanig said:
Still no gameplay. Mmm.

5 hours ago they twitted:

There will be definitely exciting news for FAST Racing Neo around E3. Please stay tuned.

They are going to show the gameplay there, that´s why.

Around the Network

Shin'en wants a rock solid frame rate basically. Maybe a dynamic framebuffer would be an option.

It's running on a Wii U dev kit right now. And yes, Shin'en told me via e-mail that the whole difference is resolution. Now we'll have to wait and see. Trailer and more screenshots might only be two weeks away.

I'm feeling Nintendo is going to show gameplay of this during their Digital Event.

incredible, cant wait to see it in movement

curl-6 said:
sc94597 said:

I'd rather 2k textures and a push for 1080p. One of the biggest advantages of high-res textures is that they aren't blurry when you look really closely at them. For a racing game you are moving very fast and never would really look too closely at them. I could only imagine that 4k/8k textures, in this type of game, would be non-noticeable at 720p. In PC gaming when video memory size is a limiting factor (as is the case with Wii U) going to 4k textures is a huge performance hit over just sticking with 2k packs. 

Anyway, as it is now at 1080p it definitely seems worth it. The textures are very high-quality. When the game is rendered at 720p though, I'm unsure how much you'll notice the textures as your image quality will artifact them with aliasing and blur. Possibly they can incorporate some type of less-intensive downsampling though (from 1080p) although I'd feel like they'd just be better off going for 1080p/sub-1080p or 1600 x 900. 

Also that's all assuming that the only difference between this build and the one which will run on WIi U is resolution, they might have different texture-filtering and anti-aliasing going on with their alpha build as well. 

The Wii U is really a 720p machine, once you go beyond that to 1080p or 900p you start losing a lot of your capacity for pretty shaders and such.

The same could be said for using 4k/8k textures, but the discernible difference, unless the image-quality is excellent for a 720p game (due to downsampling/SSAA) won't be noticeable.  It would make more sense to just stick with 2k textures (which are impressive enough for a Wii U game) and either use a higher resolution/better AA or just put those extra resources into something else. 

For reference: 

At 720p if you filled your whole screen with a 1k texture, it will look fine. If you filled your screen with a 512x512 texture it would look aliased and pixelated. If you filled your screen with half of that 1k texture it would also look aliased and pixelated. For an 8k texture you would have to fill your screen with about an eighth of said texture before it became aliased and pixelated. I just can't see that happening in this game and it seems like a waste of resources. 

Around the Network
sc94597 said:
curl-6 said:

The Wii U is really a 720p machine, once you go beyond that to 1080p or 900p you start losing a lot of your capacity for pretty shaders and such.

The same could be said for using 4k/8k textures, but the discernible difference, unless the image-quality is excellent for a 720p game (due to downsampling/SSAA) won't be noticeable.  It would make more sense to just stick with 2k textures (which are impressive enough for a Wii U game) and either use a higher resolution/better AA or just put those extra resources into something else. 

For reference: 

At 720p if you filled your whole screen with a 1k texture, it will look fine. If you filled your screen with a 512x512 texture it would look aliased and pixelated. If you filled your screen with half of that 1k texture it would also look aliased and pixelated. For an 8k texture you would have to fill your screen with about an eighth of said texture before it became aliased and pixelated. I just can't see that happening in this game and it seems like a waste of resources. 

4k-8k is perhaps overkill, true, but even if they went down to 2k it might not necessarily free up the juice for 1080p, considering they're very strict on hitting a constant 60fps.

What i am surprised is that the images say that this is alpha version, meaning that the game probably wont make it this year

Holy shit! Shinen you are fucking killing it!

This makes me want F-Zero even more!

1doesnotsimply

curl-6 said:
sc94597 said:

For reference: 

4k-8k is perhaps overkill, true, but even if they went down to 2k it might not necessarily free up the juice for 1080p, considering they're very strict on hitting a constant 60fps.

Sure maybe not 1080p proper, but there are plenty of resolutions between 720p and 1080p which would give a clearer, less-aliased image. Who knows, maybe when they port it from the devkit to the Wii U they'll notice that the 4k/8k textures aren't that much better than what 2k textures would provide them and they'll decide to put those resources into something else. It doesn't really have to be resolution. Maybe they could add more moving geometry to the environment to give the game more of an artistic flair or something. Regardless, I'm sure the game will be impressive.