By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Fast Racing Neo Screenshots / The Future Is Fast

Holy shit, I come home from work and this is posted, looks fucking badass! :D

Finally, something to scratch that F-Zero itch. 

Considering this is made by just 5 guys on a tiny budget, without a publisher to back them, I tip my hat. 

Around the Network
SubiyaCryolite said:
captain carot said:
Just requested Shin'en, the answer:

Hi,

danke für deine Email.

Die Screenshots sind auf 1080 direkt aus der GameEngine gecaptured.
Das Spiel läuft aber in der finalen Version nur auf 720p@60fps, um so
eine stabile Framerate zu garantieren.

Translastion:
Hi,

thank you for your e-mail.

The screenshots are directly captured from the game engine in 1080p.
The final release of the game will run in 720p60 though to guarantee a stable frame rate.

So the game will look like those shots, just a bit blurrier and perhaps jaggier.

That jaggy thing is a nice question. It will have AA. So not as jaggy as Mario Kart 8. :-p

But yes. It's in game. It's not photoshopped. It just wont be 1080p.

Looks good, wonder what it will look like in 720p. I'm an image-quality whore. :P I'd be fine with a blurrier image if they have good AA. The texture-work is very nice though, and a lower resolution could affect how much of that we see. Too bad I'm not into racing games, but maybe I should give the genre a second try.

You guys should stop saying how similar FAST Racing Neo and F-Zero are. They play very differently.

That being said, the game looks stunning. The first title was very good and had some interesting gameplay mechanics like the energy balls and the different color stretchs. Altough it also had some issues like a too perfect AI and very few tracks to play. Hopefuly they will fix what was wrong and improove what was good.

Also, online, YAAAAY ^^

Hynad said:
hsrob said:
1080p and barely a jagged edge in sight. I have to say I'm a little skeptical.

It shouldn't be impossible to achieve even for the Wii U. A simplistic racer ala Wipeout HD managed to run at 60fps at almost 1080p resolution on the PS3.

So I'm pretty sure the same kind of game could run in 1080p on the Wii U.

Possible perhaps, but it just occured to me that Shin'en haven't done 1080p on the WiiU yet and from the comments above, it seems as though that trend will continue.

Around the Network
hsrob said:
Hynad said:
hsrob said:
1080p and barely a jagged edge in sight. I have to say I'm a little skeptical.

It shouldn't be impossible to achieve even for the Wii U. A simplistic racer ala Wipeout HD managed to run at 60fps at almost 1080p resolution on the PS3.

So I'm pretty sure the same kind of game could run in 1080p on the Wii U.

Possible perhaps, but it just occured to me that Shin'en haven't done 1080p on the WiiU yet and from the comments above, it seems as though that trend will continue.

It's confirmed to be 720p/60fps. They are pushing 4k/8k textures after all, and 720p is the graphical sweet spot for Wii U.

Still no gameplay. Mmm.

curl-6 said:

It's confirmed to be 720p/60fps. They are pushing 4k/8k textures after all.

I'd rather 2k textures and a push for 1080p. One of the biggest advantages of high-res textures is that they aren't blurry when you look really closely at them. For a racing game you are moving very fast and never would really look too closely at them. I could only imagine that 4k/8k textures, in this type of game, would be non-noticeable at 720p. In PC gaming when video memory size is a limiting factor (as is the case with Wii U) going to 4k textures is a huge performance hit over just sticking with 2k packs. 

Anyway, as it is now at 1080p it definitely seems worth it. The textures are very high-quality. When the game is rendered at 720p though, I'm unsure how much you'll notice the textures as your image quality will artifact them with aliasing and blur. Possibly they can incorporate some type of less-intensive downsampling though (from 1080p) although I'd feel like they'd just be better off going for 1080p/sub-1080p or 1600 x 900. 

Also that's all assuming that the only difference between this build and the one which will run on WIi U is resolution, they might have different texture-filtering and anti-aliasing going on with their alpha build as well. 

sc94597 said:
curl-6 said:

It's confirmed to be 720p/60fps. They are pushing 4k/8k textures after all.

I'd rather 2k textures and a push for 1080p. One of the biggest advantages of high-res textures is that they aren't blurry when you look really closely at them. For a racing game you are moving very fast and never would really look too closely at them. I could only imagine that 4k/8k textures, in this type of game, would be non-noticeable at 720p. In PC gaming when video memory size is a limiting factor (as is the case with Wii U) going to 4k textures is a huge performance hit over just sticking with 2k packs. 

Anyway, as it is now at 1080p it definitely seems worth it. The textures are very high-quality. When the game is rendered at 720p though, I'm unsure how much you'll notice the textures as your image quality will artifact them with aliasing and blur. Possibly they can incorporate some type of less-intensive downsampling though (from 1080p) although I'd feel like they'd just be better off going for 1080p/sub-1080p or 1600 x 900. 

Also that's all assuming that the only difference between this build and the one which will run on WIi U is resolution, they might have different texture-filtering and anti-aliasing going on with their alpha build as well. 

The Wii U is really a 720p machine, once you go beyond that to 1080p or 900p you start losing a lot of your capacity for pretty shaders and such.

wow i thought this would be a ps4 games, looks amazing