By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Fast Racing Neo Screenshots / The Future Is Fast

Dr.Vita said:
Goodnightmoon said:

WiiU exclusive by now.

Thank you. Hope to see it on PS4 too!

"Nano Assualt Neo" started out as a Wii U exclusive and was later ported to the PS4, so your chances are pretty good! Shin'en loves Nintendo, but you can't begrudge them from turning some extra profit once their games have had some spotlight on the eShop.

JEMC said:
It looks beautiful, and the site says that those are in-game... but, except for the second one, the camera placement looks odd, I don't know how someone could play with it.

"In-game" doesn't  necessarily mean gameplay - it just means the shots are rendered using the game's engine. Racing game footage traditionally uses modified camera angles from replay, anyhow. It makes the whole presentation more interesting. 

I'm holding judgement as to how doctored these shots are until I see the final product. Shin'en has pulled some truly amazing visuals out of the Wii U (see: "Nano Assault Neo" and "Art of Balance").

Retro Tech Select - My Youtube channel. Covers throwback consumer electronics with a focus on "vid'ya games."

Latest Video: Top 12: Best Games on the N64 - Special Features, Episode 7

Around the Network

And so on with the tech stuff regarding 4k and 8 texture usage.

If someone generally says theyre using 4k and 8k for textures, it strongly suggests that this is per texture per face or per texture per object (uv packing), 

the average color 4k texture has the following sizes (for most common game formats)

JPG = 25mb
PNG = 29mb
DDS (DXT5) = 22mb
BMP = 49mb
TGA = 49mb

and then average color texture in 8k.

JPG = 119,9mb
PNG = 129.6mb
DDS (DXT5) = 87.4mb
BMP = 196.6mb
TGA = 196.6mb

On average engine side crompression on image data is minimal and usually only for storage, unpacked into memory where the full size effects the allocation, so if we had a game that had no other data to be put into memory what so ever other than texture data, at 8k the wiius theoretical maximum (hardware limited and ignoring OS footprint and reservation) would be basically 10 8k textures, this would take up 95% of the total system memory, when you add back in OS footprint and a realistic allocation of roughly 45% memory usage for ai, mesh, sound and script that number drops to just 5 to 6 8k textures, clearly of no real use or benefit for a game targetting 720p.

Calculations for the same in 4k suggest a theoretical maximum of 60-90 total depending on format, then real-world of around 40-55 total for an actual game.

Thus the idea of them using 4k or 8k texture data heavilly for the game is highly suspect, its far more likely that they are uv packing into 4k and 8k files entire collections with different coordinates for different meshes uv data, this is essentially the same as taking multiple singular textures and sticking them together into one file, it reduces the overhead from file access and read/write at the cost of needing to load the entire file, however since its a racer, that can be done.

That's before getting into the sticky subject of muxing lower quality samples for lod, detail textures, uv maps, lightmaps bump maps or shaders using said texture data, too, all of which inflate the overall vram requirement of each textured surface.

UV packing multiple textures in to a single file however, isnt really using 8k textures, because the singular objects do not have the texture clarity of an 8k asset, and suggesting that the game is using 4k or 8k textures when its simply uv packing is both extremely misleading and essentially a bare faced lie.

The vram needed to use 4k and 8k textures extensively puts it out of the realms of even high end modes on pc games because all but the most rediculously expensive graphics cards lack the actual, physical memory to do so.

StuOhQ said:
JEMC said:
It looks beautiful, and the site says that those are in-game... but, except for the second one, the camera placement looks odd, I don't know how someone could play with it.

"In-game" doesn't  necessarily mean gameplay - it just means the shots are rendered using the game's engine. Racing game footage traditionally uses modified camera angles from replay, anyhow. It makes the whole presentation more interesting. 

I'm holding judgement as to how doctored these shots are until I see the final product. Shin'en has pulled some truly amazing visuals out of the Wii U (see: "Nano Assault Neo" and "Art of Balance").

Yeah, I know that. But replays usually don't show the HUDs with the position, time, etc.

But I agree with you, it's better to hold our judgement until we see actual gameplay.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

captain carot said:
Shin'en was telling about 4k-8k textures some time ago. Though they didn't say they would use textures of that size for everything.
Dunno if they actually managed to do so. So it might be 4k textures at best.

You mean this?

"Shin'en Multimedia @ShinenGames

@GoldMetalSonic Since FRN we use 4-8k textures. Means hyper real graphics but 16x storage. Happy this is no prob on WiiU eShop :)

Luke888 said:
Looks really good to me. Is it known if there are some sorts of boost like in MK or is it just about racing ? I wonder how can this game run fast (I believe 60fps ) on Wii U if Project Cars can't

FAST has two types of boost mechanics. 

You can change your ship between two phases; if you drive over a strip of the matching phase you get a boost, a jump of the same phase will propel you skywards, or a ceiling of the same phase will let you stick to the roof to drive over obstacles. If you're in the wrong phase though, you'll be slowed down, and shifting phase costs you energy, which you replenish by collecting energy spheres scattered around the track.

You can also spend some of your energy to get a speed boost at any time, provided you have enough.

Around the Network
Goodnightmoon said:

OMG! Is this real? Is the WiiU going to run that!!?

It looks amazing!

Why shouldn't the Wii U not being able to run that?

Don't forget that the Wii U has more Graphics Power than a PS3 or XBox360. The developers just have to go the extra mile to unleash it.

So the only thing realy unexpected is not the graphics quality but somone doing it as Nintendo is known for more cartoony style...

I which Shinen the best to have good sales and make a decent profit with it. 

Maybe other developers will notice. The Wii U has still the best years in front of it...