By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Fast Racing Neo Screenshots / The Future Is Fast

So, how many of the described graphical features described previously can we see in the images?
(About the 4K-8K textures) Yeah, streets took a lot of resolution. Tho biggest textures are used for the shadows.

60fps (with minimal dips here and there that we try to iron out)

Cinematic Tonemapping, Motionblur, SSAO, HDR Bloom, Atmospheric Scattering, Godrays etc

Smoke and mirrors all over the place, otherwise we would be at 20fps.

No, we use realtime soft shadows. So we can have dynamic weather and the games size is much smaller.

(TOD feature) It's realtime. As a race is just a few minutes there are not much visible changes, beside some clouds moving.

SSAO is by definition dynamic, tho it's (almost) impossible to get working in 60fps ;) Technically: Every console is outdated

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
Edwardooo said:
Is there some people who played the first Fast Racing ? I want to know if it plays more like a F-Zero than a WipeOut.

The handling feels about halfway between the tightness of F Zero and the floatiness of WipeOut.

It doesn't have weapons, so it's more like F Zero in that respect.

What makes it stand out from both though is its phase shifting mechanic. You can change your ship between two phases; if you drive over a strip of the matching phase you get a boost, a jump of the same phase will propel you skywards, or a ceiling of the same phase will let you stick to the roof to drive over obstacles. If you're in the wrong phase though, you'll be slowed down, and shifting phase costs you energy, which you replenish by collecting energy spheres scattered around the track. You can also spend some of your energy to get a speed boost at any time, provided you have enough energy.

Sounds cool, thanks for the answer.

megafenix said:
So, how many of the described graphical features described previously can we see in the images?
(About the 4K-8K textures) Yeah, streets took a lot of resolution. Tho biggest textures are used for the shadows.

60fps (with minimal dips here and there that we try to iron out)

Cinematic Tonemapping, Motionblur, SSAO, HDR Bloom, Atmospheric Scattering, Godrays etc

Smoke and mirrors all over the place, otherwise we would be at 20fps.

No, we use realtime soft shadows. So we can have dynamic weather and the games size is much smaller.

(TOD feature) It's realtime. As a race is just a few minutes there are not much visible changes, beside some clouds moving.

SSAO is by definition dynamic, tho it's (almost) impossible to get working in 60fps ;) Technically: Every console is outdated

If you think the wiiu framebuffer and memory infrastructure can handle 8k textures on this games target performance bracket I've really no need to dissect the rest of your post.

Hint: it can't

Tachikoma said:

If you think the wiiu framebuffer and memory infrastructure can handle 8k textures on this games target performance bracket I've really no need to dissect the rest of your post.

Tachi, every time we have a positive thread about WiiU graphical capabilities you come here and try to spoil the party. It looks like something very personal from your side, like 'if I wasn't able to achieve decent results on WiiU hardware nobody should!'

- Moderated, Carl

We´ll see the game in movement in just 3 weeks. An then we will see if they have achieved something as impressive as those shots are showing (but on 720p).

Around the Network

This is a lot of comments. People do like a pretty game!

If it doesn't have the floatiness of wipeout or is at least massively reduced then that is a good thing. As much as I love Wipeout visuals especially in 3D I just didn't like the handling at all. F-Zero GC is the most recent game of this type that I have enjoyed I played it recently emulated on pc and the pc wasn't quite good enough to do full speed at all times but it still felt better than wipeout.

I have Nano Assault on ps4. It was recently on offer on US PSN for something like $2 in a flash sale so only about £1.33 in good old pounds. Apart from the higher resolution I don't think its enhanced over wii u it looks substandard for ps4 but still a great game. It looks inferior compared to Super stardust which in itself is a port by numbers from ps3. Resogun looks much, much better. So anyone consider waiting for the ps4 version may be disappointed with the level of enhancement. The only advantage may be pricing due to the psn often having good sale prices.

Shin'en was telling about 4k-8k textures some time ago. Though they didn't say they would use textures of that size for everything.
Dunno if they actually managed to do so. So it might be 4k textures at best.

Sharu said:
Tachikoma said:

Tachi, every time we have a positive thread about WiiU graphical capabilities you come here and try to spoil the party. It looks like something very personal from your side, like 'if I wasn't able to achieve decent results on WiiU hardware nobody should!'

And calling xenoblade chronicles x the best game of gen 8 so far was what exactly?

Give me and hour to get home and I'll write up a detailed explanation of exactly why it isn't possible.

Looks really good to me. Is it known if there are some sorts of boost like in MK or is it just about racing ? I wonder how can this game run fast (I believe 60fps ) on Wii U if Project Cars can't