By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Jonathan Blow: "Videogames are terrible for telling stories"

Quite the contrary. You cant get the level of imersion a game achieves in any other medium. Its also not contrived by having to be squeezed in 2 hours and it allows interaction with said world, something that no other medium allows.
I would argue only TV shows compare because theres multiple episodes. In my opinion, movies are the worst medium to tell stories on, but its a quick and cheap way to spend your money in entertainment, while the remaining mediums require alot more commitment from the reader/viewer/player. Only one allows interaction though, and that one is no doubt the best one.

Around the Network

Interesting thread. Also kind of sad how many people there are who can't simply disagree but who also have to throw insults because someone said something they disagree with.

As for what he actually said, I mostly agree. The game that manages to tell a great story is the exception, not the rule. Many games aim for a good story but fall flat.

This is something I spoke of in the thread about RPG stories. Most games have to really simplify the story they are telling so that it fits with whatever type of gameplay they're using. That leaves so much out. That, and you have to be careful that you don't end up with more story than game-play.

Rather than say games are terrible for storytelling, though, I would say that they aren't optimal for storytelling and whatever story is being told has to be carefully molded to the gameplay.

That depends on what you compare games too. If you compare it to nowadays Hollywood junk then games are quite OK.
But if you read serious classic books - then of course you know that games are totally weak in this comparison. But the racing in Mario Kart and shooting in Halo is much better then in 'War and Peace' I must admit.

Mr.Blows clearly doesn't have the capacity to enjoy good things, and is too fixated on the button pressing aspects of games.

.- -... -.-. -..

Nem said:
Quite the contrary. You cant get the level of imersion a game achieves in any other medium. Its also not contrived by having to be squeezed in 2 hours and it allows interaction with said world, something that no other medium allows.
I would argue only TV shows compare because theres multiple episodes. In my opinion, movies are the worst medium to tell stories on, but its a quick and cheap way to spend your money in entertainment, while the remaining mediums require alot more commitment from the reader/viewer/player. Only one allows interaction though, and that one is no doubt the best one.

Games are great at immersion and the interactivity keeps your attention focussed. It's not the best at immersion though.
A good back can get my adreneline pumping, make me laugh out loud and feel fear like no game can. Sure a game can get my heart racing too but not for story reasons. A movie condenses it all in a 2 hour period which makes a great movie a rollercoaster ride of emotions. Movies are still better at storytelling than games. I get much more of a feeling of character arc progression in movies than in games. The last of us is good yet still pales into comparsion to what movies like There will be blood, The master, Blue is the warmest colour or 12 years a slave can deliver in 2 hours.

Only one allows me to comfortably sit/lay in full sun, and that one is no doubt the best one :p

Around the Network

He must have just played The Letter.

No, just no...

Mnementh said:
StarOcean said:
Eh, same goes for books and movies in my case. For me at least, video games are the best for telling stories.

Video games can be more fun to play than watch a movie or read a book. But not because of the storytelling. It's like saying you enjoyed a joyride at an amusement park, because the storyline was so great. Entertainment has many facettes, and the interactivity of video gaming is something books and movies don't offer, still they can have the more detailed stories.

I didn't mention them because I thought those aspects were fairly obvious. And as I said before, I personally prefer story telling in games than in books/movies.

Well, I have enjoyed some stories in videogames. Guess I have to disagree with him.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

pokoko said:

Rather than say games are terrible for storytelling, though, I would say that they aren't optimal for storytelling and whatever story is being told has to be carefully molded to the gameplay.

That's pretty good said, I can agree with this.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]