By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Jonathan Blow: "Videogames are terrible for telling stories"

http://www.play-mag.co.uk/interview/videogames-are-terrible-for-telling-stories-says-jonathan-blow/

________

I think this might be one of the dumbest things i've ever heard, and coming from a developer at that. Personally I think video games surpassed movies in story telling. Theres nothing a movie can do that a game can't.

Around the Network

Well, that statement really... blows (Ba dum tas?).

There are a lot of great stories told by videogames, way more if you include visual novels.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Jon, just... finish The Witness. Please.

Highly disagree.

Hell even cod has great stories in their campaign.
TLOU, Heavy rain, Spec Ops to name a few.

I think a more apt phrasing would be "Video games are terrible at telling stories in the same way other mediums do", which isn't exactly correct but its closer to something I can agree with.

Around the Network

Well that's just dumb.

"Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games."

While I disagree that Video Games can tell a story at the same level as movies, I disagree with what Jonathan Blow said since various video games have shown that an excellent story can be told through this medium.

Send a Friend Request On PSN :P

If anything, video games can be one of the best mediums for telling stories

Mystro-Sama said:

http://www.play-mag.co.uk/interview/videogames-are-terrible-for-telling-stories-says-jonathan-blow/

________

I think this might be one of the dumbest things i've ever heard, and coming from a developer at that. Personally I think video games surpassed movies in story telling. Theres nothing a movie can do that a game can't.

A lot of developers said that same thought... I'm serious, he's not the only one.

I disagree. We've seen games with great story telling and, when done right, video games can arguably be the best medium to tell stories.