By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Jonathan Blow: "Videogames are terrible for telling stories"

Wow man, he needs to finish a Dragon Quest or a Zelda or a Kid Icarus [Uprising] or any RPG/big adventure game really and fast.

Around the Network
Mr.Playstation said:
While I disagree that Video Games can tell a story at the same level as movies, I disagree with what Jonathan Blow said since various video games have shown that an excellent story can be told through this medium.

What do movies have over games exactly?

There have been great stories in games since the beginning. This is just incorrect.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

Mystro-Sama said:
Mr.Playstation said:
While I disagree that Video Games can tell a story at the same level as movies, I disagree with what Jonathan Blow said since various video games have shown that an excellent story can be told through this medium.

The fact that a movie doesn't also have to shoehorn gameplay in and that a Story is usualy secondary when compared to gameplay both for gamers and developers alike.

Send a Friend Request On PSN :P

Mummelmann: "Jonathan Blow is terrible in general. He Blows."

Around the Network

What he wanted to say is:

Jonathan Blow: I am terrible at telling stories.

Hynad said:
What he wanted to say is:

Jonathan Blow: I am terrible at telling stories.

This!!!

Mr.Playstation said:
Mystro-Sama said:

The fact that a movie doesn't also have to shoehorn gameplay in and that a Story is usualy secondary when compared to gameplay both for gamers and developers alike.

Thats precisely what makes games superior, the fact that you actually interact with these characters on a personal level as if they are real as oppose to just watching something play out from start to end.

Sure, a lot of times, developers will rely on cut-scenes to tell their story-telling. But that isn't necessarily bad. Video-games are both game and video, after all.

But there are plenty of games that blend their story-telling with the gameplay, like Bioshock and Half Life, and then there are games that offer the best of both worlds like Batman Arkham, Uncharted and The Last of Us.

The medium is still young, all things considered, and story-telling is the aspect of them that have taken the longest to evolve, but it is evolving.

John Blow released Braid and that game didn't have good story-telling either. The ending was neat, but the rest was pretty badly delivered.

Seems hes just bad at it so he doesnt like it