By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Jonathan Blow: "Videogames are terrible for telling stories"

Stop talking and finish the Witness.

Around the Network
ReimTime said:

Good points. I chose TLOU and FFX because they did a great job of inobtrusively nosing the player in one direction. True, a movie can do many things that a book and game cannot. But I prefer those three mediums to be separate and distinct anyway.

True, thinking further on it Books is the only medium that can really make me feel fear to the point of oncomming panic. I'm claustrofobic and while it never bothers me in movies or games, books can really get to me. (Burried alive in the girl with the dragon tattoo that was very heard to read, and btw the movie adaptation is awful) Yet books have never been able to make me cry which some movies have accomplished and some games have made me tear up.

Anyway yes, reading an orginal screenplay sucks. Movie adaptations of books (and videogames) always lose a lot in the process. And games trying to be movies only get sabotaged by the gameplay with some exceptions. It seems a protective role works best for movie + game marriage. Like TLOU,  The walking dead and Ico.

Mystro-Sama said:
Goodnightmoon said:

Videogames are way behind cinema and literature, that´s how it is. Most of them have shitty stories, but people have a terrible criteria so any blockbuster shit looks gold to them.

There are some brilliant exceptions though, videogames can be an awesome way to tell stories, but for now, they are not.

Yes, because every movie is a masterpiece, right?

Where did I say that?

Goodnightmoon said:
Mystro-Sama said:

Yes, because every movie is a masterpiece, right?

Where did I say that?

You implied it. You said most games have shit stories as if most movies don't have shit stories too.

Mystro-Sama said:
Goodnightmoon said:

Where did I say that?

You implied it. You said most games have shit stories as if most movies don't have shit stories too.

I have more chances to be killed by a thunder on a sunny day than to find a good story in a random game.

Around the Network

Eh, same goes for books and movies in my case. For me at least, video games are the best for telling stories.

He's factually wrong. He can blow it out his ass

Jonathan sure does blow.

Official Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Thread

I.... what? What are his credentials? What games has he worked with?

I completely disagree.