By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Jonathan Blow: "Videogames are terrible for telling stories"

Mystro-Sama said:

http://www.play-mag.co.uk/interview/videogames-are-terrible-for-telling-stories-says-jonathan-blow/

________

I think this might be one of the dumbest things i've ever heard, and coming from a developer at that. Personally I think video games surpassed movies in story telling. Theres nothing a movie can do that a game can't.

Video games 'can' tell stories as good as any other medium and the possibility to make them better because the player is in control but the 'don't.'  

There are games that do tell storylines thar are just as enjoyable as a movie or television show.  The Walking Dead, Snatcher, Heavy Rain, etc.  Most games praised  as having great storylines for a video game, The Last of Us, Devil May Cry 3, Mass Effect, etc are worse than most b rated movies.  So video games can have great storylines.  Do they?  Almost never.

He's wrong because of what he said it, but if he meant the way I described he's right.