By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Could This Generation Be as long/Longer Than The Last One?

Not even close.

Around the Network

I hope not.. My phone in 2024 will be more powerfull then this gen...

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

this will be a long gen. maybe a bit shorter than last gen but still a solid 6 years.

sony is dominating and has no reason to jump quickly. developers are already getting cost concious and will be in no hurry to make expectations even higher any time soon. ms will probably want a short gen to hit the reset button but they can't do it without third party developers. launch too early and they will fail hard if third parties ignore the system or even just the hardware advantages. still, xbox will push the next gen as soon as they can gather support for new hardware.

6 years and i'm sticking to that.

nintendo doesn't count as they aren't part of the "industry" anyways and will forever be just doing their own thing off cycle to everyone else.

I think Nintendo may have a shorter gen depending on how NX is presented.

My guess is Sony is content and happy for it to go long so up to Microsoft. They could do a XBX to 360 move of beating Sony to the market or are also content and launch at same time like the X1.

My guess is Nintendo in 2016, Sony and Microsoft in 2019/2020.

Not even a remote chance. The hardware is already dated. By the time we get to 5 years out, they're going to have to release new consoles in order to keep developers happy.

Around the Network

Sony and Microsoft will have a long generation.
Nintendo not, they will release their new console next year.

around 7 years I think (with support for atleast 10years from sony).

Wii U is not going to last, soon to be replaced and dropped by nintendo with reguards to development.

I can see the xbox launching abit before the Playstation 5, maybe even forceing sony to reply quicker than theyd want too.

Holidays 2020 (latest possible date), we should have seen new consols by then.

My guess is seven to eight years, though Nintendo will have two home consoles this generation. Their regular schedule seems out of whack, and is very likely that they will release a new console to final catch back up with MS and Sony in terms of console power.

I'm placing my bet for next hardware update sometime around 2018-2020.

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

i hope its as long as gen 7, since i really liked how much that gen lasted

9th gen will probably start in 2017 with the launch of a next gen Nintendo handheld.

"I think it will be the HDS"-Me in regards to Nintendo's next handheld.