By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Could This Generation Be as long/Longer Than The Last One?

I don't see this gen being that much shorter nor longer than this gen.

"Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games."

Around the Network
Gammalad said:
9th gen will probably start in 2017 with the launch of a next gen Nintendo handheld.

Maybe for nintendo.

Doubt you ll see a new consol from MS or Sony before 2019.

Well, Nintendo is bailing out next year with a new console so will that mark the end of the gen? Or is Nintendo just on its own thing now?

CosmicSex said:
Well, Nintendo is bailing out next year with a new console so will that mark the end of the gen? Or is Nintendo just on its own thing now?

If it puts it on terms with Xbox One & PS4, in terms of performance, I think it counts as "joining the current gen", not starting a new one.

Basically nintendo is just late to the party. So yeah "nintendo is just on its own thing now".

CosmicSex said:

I'm looking at it from when for example Nintendo released the WII U a year earlier, the seventh gen was still the main one and it didn't really end up until late 2013. We can also use the XBOX 360 as an example. Even though it released as a seventh gen console in 2005 the sixth gen was still the main console gen up until late 2006.

Send a Friend Request On PSN :P

Around the Network

Nope!

Both X1 and PS4 are far more profitable then their predecessors were, both had more explosive launches, both will burn out and peak by end of 2017, both will age faster then the then their predecessors tech wise. Above all though aligning themselves as close to PC achitecture has proven a winning formula, meaning both systems are likely to have backward compatible successors.

I'll happily go out on a limb and say we'll see X10 in 2017 and PS5 in 2018. Both will be backwards compatible.

I guess it will be longer (for ps4/xbox one).

The graphics on both are alright very good. And there wont be to much more changes in the future. Even the gap between 7 and 8 gen in terms of graphic is pretty small.

Thats may be one main reason why 7th gen is still alive (ps3 sales)

Mr.Playstation said:

While this generation is anticipated as being a short one, I think there are various reasons as to why this generation could be as long if not longer than the last one.

So far Sony is killing it and we can almost assume that they've reached a 50% market share by now. Now we all know Sony has a sort of guarantee that they'll support a console for 10 years, and financially it would make sense for them to do that, this generation seeing as how the PS4 is a somewhat mini PS2 and killing it of early wouldn't make sense as they're not gurenteed that the PS5 will bring in as much revenue.

Microsoft has no reason to abandon this generation while the PS4 is still Sony's main console. Why should they? Their doing fine as is, sure they may have an upper hand but considering the gaming division isn't Microsoft's main business focus, I'm sure they are more than happy with what they have and at the end of the day why risk producing a new console when the PS4 may still take some of it's sales and then to only have Sony release a new console which just might reduce it's sales even more.

Looking at Nintendo, I highly doubt their next console will be stronger than the PS4 and Xbox One and so I think that while it will be considered as a ninth generation console it will more than likely compete directly for most of it's life cycle with eight gen consoles and so eight generation ( 2 vs 1 ) will remain as the main console generation.

Discuss . Do you think this generation will end quickly or will it live a long and fruitful life?

Well regarding each console manufacturer:

Sony: Even when PS2 was killing it sony didn't rest on their laurels and released the PS3 as soon as it was viable. It was schedule for june 2006 before they got delayed due to manufacturing problems, if they could have they would have launched it even sooner probably. Across the board of technology history has shown that Victors are never complacent with current success. Just as the PS2 continued to sell well in 2006 and 2007, the PS4 could do so after the arrival of PS5. The arrival of one gen doesn't mean the death of the other. We've seen how unified game development has become so PS5 would not represent a new hurdle for devs, they'd just release their already planned games but at sueperior settings.

Microsoft: They have everything to gain by arriving ahead of the PS5 and just as the 360 arriving before the PS3 gave them a helpful headstart and allowed them to court a new audience whilst the PS3 was only just finding its feet. Its now understood that the Xbox brand is inferior to the Playstation brand globally, so MS have nothing to gain by going head to head with sony. IMO they either need to arrive ahead of them of differentiate themselves through power or a USP, just as the OG Xbox and 360 did.  

Nintendo: I actually think everything points to a console being stronger then the PS4/X1. Whether its just 2x as strong or 4x is the question. The only time Nintendo abandoned decent specs was then they had the major USP of the Wii mote or when they bundled the expensive gamepad. Neither is likely to be the case with their next gen (A very Unique USP or an expensive accessory). On top of that there was undoubtably some arrogance with the creation of the Wii U, they presumed the Wii audience would just upgrade. Now they've woken up to reality they will likely provide a low risk, mid range console by 2016/2017 standards and that would will likely look like a PS4.5. (remember PS4 launched in 2013 and was profitable almost right away). The way this ties into the convo is that I think Nintendo would gain unwanted momentum if MS and Sony refused to release a new system til 2019, if they have a system out before then with superior quality third party titles I could see a lot of "hardcore gamers" leaving the PS4 early. Not the masses who buy COD, but the informed gamers who probably have an appreciation for Nintendo 1st party. Not an immense pressure on sony and MS but something that they certainly wouldn't want.

Nintendo is going to release a new console soon enough. That will start a new console generation.

Sony and MS will hopefully follow suit soon after. These consoles are weak.

Like with PS2, MS will get frustrated and jump start a new gen. Nintendo will just do what Nintendo does and probably give WiiU a five year shelf life like the Gamecube. Id give this gen 6 years.......holiday 2019 we see a new Xbox/Nintendo, with Sony waiting a year to keep PS4 good times rolling ;)

Sure MS is doing ok now, but they could do much better if they get a head start on the next gen. Sacrifice "meh" long term Xbox One profits and reap an entire generations worth of profits with the next Xbox. Plus also effectively cut the PS4's lifespan short, which is a pleasant side effect (pleasant depending on where you stand on this all).

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles.