By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What are some indies that took you by surprise?

Surprised, as in how good they were. Although, you can translate it however you like. Maybe some indies took you by surprise at how unbelievably awful they were in which case, that'd be fun to hear about as well and I'll make sure to steer clear of those games. 

We gamers tend to poop all over indies (sometimes) and see them as lesser variants, but the truth is, there are some high quality indie titles out there and I'd like to hear your impressions of them! Feel free to share your favorite indie gaming moments/experiences, or the ones that you would recommend just as much as any AAA title out there. 

My examples: 

Rain (PS3) - This was a gem. Simple gameplay, beautiful orchestral soundtrack, and a beautiful story about a boy and a girl trying to find their way home. 

Shovel Knight - I think a lot of people will list this one so I don't need to sing its praises.  

Anyway, I didn't find anything on this topic so I thought I'd see what you guys thought. Lay it on me! 

It'll be awhile before I figure out how to do one of these. :P 

Around the Network

The sudden realisation that most of them actually are pretty forgettable hits me as a surprise...

Journey.. Bastion.. Goat simulator..

I need to go check which indie games i actually have..

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

Super Meat Boy. I thought it was gonna be okay but man, was I wrong

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Might and Magic is probably the main one...got it on sale for a few bucks and it ended up being over thirty hours of interesting RPG/Puzzle hybrid

Rain is not an indie game, it was co-developed by SCE Japan Studio and presumably completely funded by Sony.

OT: The Pinball Arcade, The Book of Unwritten Tales, The Banner Saga, Primordia, The Blackwell series, Memoria, Gemini Rue, Fez, World of Goo, Machinarium, Train Fever, Banished.

I'm not sure if every game I listed can be counted as indie, but I think they're "independent enough" when it comes to development. All of them turned out better than I thought.

Biggest surprise to me was The Pinball Arcade, a fantastic effort from devoted pinball fans.

Around the Network

Bastion, The Banner Saga, both were absolutely mindblowing. The Banner Saga is emotional and deep and Bastion is 100% unadulterated gameplay with one of the best original scores since the original Diablo in 1996.

Cave Story

The fact that that entire game was made by ONE guy, and was able to make great pixel art, music, and an interesting story is just mind-boggling.

"Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games."

Yooka Laylee

We reap what we sow

sundin13 said:
Might and Magic

Might & Magic: Clash of Heroes (I think that's the one you mean) is a game developed by Capybara for Ubisoft and a spinoff of a classic PC RPG franchise which had its first entry in 1986. The franchise gained more popularity in the 90s with its TBS spinoff series Heroes of Might & Magic.

Clash of Heroes is a great game but the opposite of an indie game imo. It was clearly developed to work/be published on as many platforms as possible and without a doubt completely funded by Ubisoft.

I don't actually play indie games too often. The most recent one I've played is Shovel Knight, and that one actually turned out to be not as good as I thought it would be.

bet: lost