By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PS4 is so close to 50% market share I can almost taste it

yvanjean said:
Aeolus451 said:

So you're saying that alot of PS fans will be happy? Please elaborate further.

The golden rule always been software will push hardware.... in PS4 case hype as fuel tons of hardware sale. 

Success like Sony is having does come at a price, there really no pressure on Sony to deliver quality software. They're already a major success. 

That is not entirely true. The pressure comes from the fact that Sony does not have billions o yen in reserve like Nintendo or is Microsoft rich like Microsoft.

They are integrating a ton of their products with PlayStation and using it along with their other few profitable sectors to support itself. Just because its sucessful doesn't mean it is not under pressure.

I mean, wouldn't gambling a heavy portion of Sony on PS be considered a kind of pressure?

Not to mention, even if they profit from console, the money comes from software sales. The only 50% marketshare/20 mill consoles at this point in the game means is that it has a good chance of growing fastests. It wont do that if Sony doesn't push it.

How hard Sony pushed last gen, some think they are lazy now. Consider the 200$ initial loss followed by 200$ price cut, free online, etc. That wasn't hard work, that was desperation. They had to bleed money to get to that point. Now they aren't taking a loss on the system. Why? Because they don't need to bleed money any more. They can work on getting back to black.

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

Around the Network
Aeolus451 said:
yvanjean said:

The golden rule always been software will push hardware.... in PS4 case hype as fuel tons of hardware sale. 

Success like Sony is having does come at a price, there really no pressure on Sony to deliver quality software. They're already a major success. 

The PS4 is not selling this well on just hype. It's a combination of things. That's pretty obvious.  The PS2.

It takes years to build a sizable game library and it sold well before it's game library was large.  60 million shipped in it's first 3 years. 100 million shipped by it's 5th year. After that it took 7 years to move 55 million. More consoles were sold in it's first half when it's game library was the smallest than when it's game library was it's largest.

The actual golden rule has always been the promise of future software will push hardware. 

Sony doesn't need pressure to deliver quality software. It will deliver it regardless. 

Sony is a corporation .... their main goal is the same has all other company, maximize shareholders value. 

If a game is lacking in content and is about to miss a release windows. If it not broken they will release the game and fix it with patches and add future content with paid DLC. If game give 15 hours vs 20 hours of content Sony will receive the same revenue with the 15 hours of content. 

The PS4 is so popular that you will get diminishing returns bases on increasing profit. While the Gaming division is actually doing good, sony stock and overall is not doing so good, there is increase pressure from share holders to increase revenues.

yvanjean said:
Aeolus451 said:

The PS4 is not selling this well on just hype. It's a combination of things. That's pretty obvious.  The PS2.

It takes years to build a sizable game library and it sold well before it's game library was large.  60 million shipped in it's first 3 years. 100 million shipped by it's 5th year. After that it took 7 years to move 55 million. More consoles were sold in it's first half when it's game library was the smallest than when it's game library was it's largest.

The actual golden rule has always been the promise of future software will push hardware. 

Sony doesn't need pressure to deliver quality software. It will deliver it regardless. 

Sony is a corporation .... their main goal is the same has all other company, maximize shareholders value. 

If a game is lacking in content and is about to miss a release windows. If it not broken they will release the game and fix it with patches and add future content with paid DLC. If game give 15 hours vs 20 hours of content Sony will receive the same revenue with the 15 hours of content. 

The PS4 is so popular that you will get diminishing returns bases on increasing profit. While the Gaming division is actually doing good, sony stock and overall is not doing so good, there is increase pressure from share holders to increase revenues.

So because Sony is a corporation, they have to shaft gamers to bring more revenue in?  

If this were to be true, then it's impressive that they have reached this milestone in only 29 months. Hopefully, this will mean more quality games for the PS4.

But, is it officially on 50% marketshare, or we'll just have to wait for the April charts?

One thing I find interesting about PS1 & PS4 (the one that started the dominance and the one that regained the dominance) is that neither really did anything special and in many ways benefited more from the competition messing up rather than from doing anything great themselves.

PS1 & PS4 are/were moderately powerful, reasonably priced, easy to develop for, and feature solid multimedia features for their time. Nothing extraordinary but at the same time does nothing wrong, here's the competition for comparison

Saturn-expensive which angered gamers, hard to develop for which angered develpers, surprise launch which angered retailers who weren't included, basically angered everybody.

N64-went with cartridges instead of CD

Wii U-underpowered and uses different architecture compared to competitors

Xbox One-expensive launch price, bad PR (Kinect required, always online, no used games)

Sony kinda went with standard, run of the mill consoles while the competition shot themselves in the foot.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network

Goodnightmoon said:

No,  Sony wasnt lazy on the last Ps3 years, In fact, Sony gave the best they could thanks to the need to sell their console, because Ps3 was selling badly at first, so they did what they could. But sorry, I dont feel the same about ps4, I think they are very lazy now and they have no reason to change this time. And this is not an exclusive problem with sony, it happens a lot when a company gets too sucesfull, they become lazy and a bit arrogants for a while.

The PS3 was selling poorly initially incomparison to what, the Wii?  

How is sony being lazy and arrogant for this generation?

thats cool, i guess o.o

NND: 0047-7271-7918 | XBL: Nights illusion | PSN: GameNChick

zorg1000 said:
One thing I find interesting about PS1 & PS4 (the one that started the dominance and the one that regained the dominance) is that neither really did anything special and in many ways benefited more from the competition messing up rather than from doing anything great themselves.

PS1 & PS4 are/were moderately powerful, reasonably priced, easy to develop for, and feature solid multimedia features for their time. Nothing extraordinary but at the same time does nothing wrong, here's the competition for comparison

Saturn-expensive which angered gamers, hard to develop for which angered develpers, surprise launch which angered retailers who weren't included, basically angered everybody.

Xbox One-expensive launch price, bad PR (Kinect required, always online, no used games)

Sony kinda went with standard, run of the mill consoles while the competition shot themselves in the foot.

PS4 is currently the most powerful home console. I wouldn't call that moderate (unless we're including steam machines, which we're not).

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

Azuren said:
zorg1000 said:

PS4 is currently the most powerful home console. I wouldn't call that moderate (unless we're including steam machines, which we're not).

From what I understand, PS4/XB1 in 2013 are not as powerful as PS3/360 were back in 2005/2006, compared to high-end PCs at the time. That's what I mean by moderately powerful.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

zorg1000 said:

This is what I've been saying as well; this is one of the primary reasons why so many are scratching their heads and can't figure out "what makes the PS4 sell". It has more do with the shortcomings of the competition than the amazing qualities of the product itself.

Both MS and especially Nintendo dropped the ball on the 8th gen, especially in the 6-12 months leading up the release of their machines.