By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PS4 is so close to 50% market share I can almost taste it

Dr.Henry_Killinger said:
Dusk said:

Actually no, not really, I don't. 

That's my point, it has nothing to do with them, so why they excitement? It in no way should actually affect their quality of life in any way. There is a brief time for pretty much anyone that is into pretty much anything, like sports or anythink like that, when someone can be happy that their team wins or whatever, but behond that point in time it's really nothing unless they have directly contributed or actually have some gain out of it. What I mean by contributed is have direct influence with the team, like training, playing, coaching, or friends/affiliates that do the same. 

Unlike a sport or the like, there is no scoring system, no winner or loser.

Just because there isn't an official scoring system, doesn't mean communties can 't create one. Here obviously the most measurable metrics are sales and marketshare.

However, this isn't a new thing(not unique to the gaming industry either) and everyone has their own reasons, assuming it doesn't affect their quality of life is naive. Sure a normal fan doesn't get a check when their favorite team wins sans Gambling. But it affects their mood and selfesteem.

Seriously, this is a sales tracking site, even if you don't care about how well a console is selling, saying you "don't understand" is like going to a biker bar and saying you don't understand why everyone has tattoos.

Their mood yes, for a brief point in time, as I said before, however after that they will continue their day and life as it would have been. Their self esteem? Certainly hope not. If someone has such an attachment to something so intangible it could be pretty detrimental. That's oddly enough has quite the similarities to being a stalker. So if the numbers were low what would happen? Would it be really detrimental? I really hope not. Basing SELF esteem on others actions is always a bad idea and it comepletely contrary to the definition of it. 

They only way a console should affect someones quality of life is to look at the games they play on it and the enjoyment they get out of the console. Of course there are others that will take it to another level of fanaticism. 

Sales, not fanatical self worth basis off of a brand. Big difference there dude. There is nothing wrong with following sales and conjecture about any of it, but basing self worth off it is... possibly detrimental. As with any sport, team, or anything that someone becomes fanatical about anything like this. 

Gotta figure out how to set these up lol.

Around the Network
Dr.Henry_Killinger said:
Dusk said:

Actually no, not really, I don't. 

That's my point, it has nothing to do with them, so why they excitement? It in no way should actually affect their quality of life in any way. There is a brief time for pretty much anyone that is into pretty much anything, like sports or anythink like that, when someone can be happy that their team wins or whatever, but behond that point in time it's really nothing unless they have directly contributed or actually have some gain out of it. What I mean by contributed is have direct influence with the team, like training, playing, coaching, or friends/affiliates that do the same. 

Unlike a sport or the like, there is no scoring system, no winner or loser.

Just because there isn't an official scoring system, doesn't mean communties can 't create one. Here obviously the most measurable metrics are sales and marketshare.

However, this isn't a new thing(not unique to the gaming industry either) and everyone has their own reasons, assuming it doesn't affect their quality of life is naive. Sure a normal fan doesn't get a check when their favorite team wins sans Gambling. But it affects their mood and selfesteem.

Seriously, this is a sales tracking site, even if you don't care about how well a console is selling, saying you "don't understand" is like going to a biker bar and saying you don't understand why everyone has tattoos.

Their mood yes, for a brief point in time, as I said before, however after that they will continue their day and life as it would have been. Their self esteem? Certainly hope not. If someone has such an attachment to something so intangible it could be pretty detrimental. That's oddly enough has quite the similarities to being a stalker. So if the numbers were low what would happen? Would it be really detrimental? I really hope not. Basing SELF esteem on others actions is always a bad idea and it comepletely contrary to the definition of it. 

They only way a console should affect someones quality of life is to look at the games they play on it and the enjoyment they get out of the console. Of course there are others that will take it to another level of fanaticism. 

Sales, not fanatical self worth basis off of a brand. Big difference there dude. There is nothing wrong with following sales and conjecture about any of it, but basing self worth off it is... possibly detrimental. As with any sport, team, or anything that someone becomes fanatical about anything like this. 

Edit: Although as long as it's all in fun, there shouldn't be any concern. 

rolltide101x said:
slab_of_bacon said:
I can't figure out why Sony Playstations are so popular relative to their competition.

Because they are more powerful and generally accepted to have the best games?

PS4 has more exclusives than Xbox One and the PS4 exclusives are higher rated according to Metacritic (actually not a huge fan of reviews but it is the best and only neutral thing to go by)

Wii U not having 3rd party automatically counts it out on having the "best games" to the general consumer

They are not always more powerful in terms of specifications and the "best" games are highly subjective.  I really enjoyed my Playstation 1 but to me they don't have much of a "wow" factor.  That is why I struggle to understand the masses flocking to Sony.  Perhaps they are more of a console backbone, doing the core things people want each time around.  I still believe many Microsoft users switched because of how many hardware failures the Xbox 360 had.  

On topic, at what market share will it be harmful to console gaming?

Feel free to check out my stream on twitch 

ils411 said:
Moyu said:
gabzjmm23 said:
then what will happen if PS4 has 50% market share?

The Last Guardian will happen hopefully.

if the PS4 crosses the 50% market share, it will then start getting non-moneyhatted-exclusives-3rdparty games from small to medium game developers as it is cheaper to make and optimize a game for just one system as oppose to having two teams working on two versions for two systems or maybe more.

with the emergence of small-medium exclusive games, ps4 will then cross the 60% market share range where we will then see the influx of non-moneyhatted-exlusvie-3rdparty games from the larger game developers since at over 60% market share, it will be more financially sound to just make one big game with one team focused on one platform as opose to having 2 teams working on 2 platfroms and the 2nd platform which is of less market share will make less money which wont be able to make up for development cost.

with that, ps4 will then completely destroy the competition and AAA-non-moneyhatted-exclusive-3rdparty games from the giants of game developers will once again come into play just like in the ps2 era.  and the gamers will once again get a shyet load of crapy, wierd, crazy and just plane insane games.

people keep claiming that competition helps the market develope. which is true, but in the video game business, total dominance of one platform is better. one platform with the vast majority of shares will mean that game developers will incure less cost in making games since again, 1 team is a shyet load cheaper than 2 teams. games will get finished faster, get realeast fater, more games gets made and we are looking at another ps2 era wherein there is thousands and thousands of games for every gamer in the world to choose from.

GO PS4!!! 

SONY SHOULD NOW DROP THE PRICE OF THE PS3 TO $149 AND THE PS4 TO $249 AND DESTROY ANY HOPE OF THE XBONE AND THE WIIU OF TRYING TO MAKE A COMEBACK EFFECTIVELY MAKING SURE THAT THE GAMING INDUSTRY ONCE AGAIN ENTERS AN AGE OF GAMING HEAVEN SIMILAR TO THE PS2 AND PS1 ERA...

Why would that happen? They makers have already taken much of the risk out of game development by throwing money at the publishers and studios. Just because it's on a single console instead of 2 or 3 won't make any difference, there is still the chance of it not selling. So the money hatting will not stop because it works well for the publishers and studios. If MS keeps throwing money at studios and publishers then they will keep getting the games because it makes little difference to the publisher or studio how successful it is because it's already paid for. 

Playstation already gets almost all multiplats and the like without the extreme dominance (which they already have) so very little is likely going to change. Every game has to compete against the other games so the risks are still there just as much as before, only now with a dominant console it gives the dominant the ability to screw over the consumer more. Just like almost every other monopoly, and the reason many laws are in place to stop monopolies.

Yay! Your console of choice will have good financials! You must be so happy!

Such a waste of time and energy.

<3 PC, PS4, Xbox One, and Wii U.

Warned - Leadified

Around the Network
JonnyBigBoss said:
Yay! Your console of choice will have good financials! You must be so happy!

Such a waste of time and energy.

Damn right! I mean it´s not like we´re on a sales site or anything...

Yup...RO friggin rocked  
Dusk said:
ils411 said:

if the PS4 crosses the 50% market share, it will then start getting non-moneyhatted-exclusives-3rdparty games from small to medium game developers as it is cheaper to make and optimize a game for just one system as oppose to having two teams working on two versions for two systems or maybe more.

with the emergence of small-medium exclusive games, ps4 will then cross the 60% market share range where we will then see the influx of non-moneyhatted-exlusvie-3rdparty games from the larger game developers since at over 60% market share, it will be more financially sound to just make one big game with one team focused on one platform as opose to having 2 teams working on 2 platfroms and the 2nd platform which is of less market share will make less money which wont be able to make up for development cost.

with that, ps4 will then completely destroy the competition and AAA-non-moneyhatted-exclusive-3rdparty games from the giants of game developers will once again come into play just like in the ps2 era.  and the gamers will once again get a shyet load of crapy, wierd, crazy and just plane insane games.

people keep claiming that competition helps the market develope. which is true, but in the video game business, total dominance of one platform is better. one platform with the vast majority of shares will mean that game developers will incure less cost in making games since again, 1 team is a shyet load cheaper than 2 teams. games will get finished faster, get realeast fater, more games gets made and we are looking at another ps2 era wherein there is thousands and thousands of games for every gamer in the world to choose from.

GO PS4!!! 

SONY SHOULD NOW DROP THE PRICE OF THE PS3 TO $149 AND THE PS4 TO $249 AND DESTROY ANY HOPE OF THE XBONE AND THE WIIU OF TRYING TO MAKE A COMEBACK EFFECTIVELY MAKING SURE THAT THE GAMING INDUSTRY ONCE AGAIN ENTERS AN AGE OF GAMING HEAVEN SIMILAR TO THE PS2 AND PS1 ERA...

Why would that happen? They makers have already taken much of the risk out of game development by throwing money at the publishers and studios. Just because it's on a single console instead of 2 or 3 won't make any difference, there is still the chance of it not selling. So the money hatting will not stop because it works well for the publishers and studios. If MS keeps throwing money at studios and publishers then they will keep getting the games because it makes little difference to the publisher or studio how successful it is because it's already paid for. 

Playstation already gets almost all multiplats and the like without the extreme dominance (which they already have) so very little is likely going to change. Every game has to compete against the other games so the risks are still there just as much as before, only now with a dominant console it gives the dominant the ability to screw over the consumer more. Just like almost every other monopoly, and the reason many laws are in place to stop monopolies.

A. Not all developers are tossed a bag of money by MS, NIntendo or Sony (wait, does nintendo even moneyhat?) and moneyhatting is done mostly to get outright exclusivity, timed exclusivity or exclusive content. Developers and Publishers are out to make money. getting money to cover development cost just to break even is not what I would call "paid for". your argument on moneyhatting is weak and irrelevant.

B. If a car had 4 standard wheels, then I took out the two front tires and replaced them with round pices of wood, would it still run just the same? No it will not. any game developer only has so many good talent that if they are working on two or three versions of a game either one version gets the best team of talent or these talents are split up into teams thus resulting in diminishing returns. 

C. It has happened before. Look at the PS1 and the PS2 era. both dominated and crushed the competition that both got exclusive games without spending a dime. with a single dominant console with the mass majority of the market share, games flurished. just look at how much shovelware the ps1 and the ps2 and even the wii got. tons and tons of shovelware. why? total domination allowed for game developers to only focus on one platform and not have to work about picking the "right" console to support. with just one uber dominant console, they can just go with the flow and make games for the playstation.

D. it isnt sony's falt that nintendo and ms sucked balls with all the stupid mistakes they made on the wii u and the xbone. so, no, there is no monopoly breaking law here. 

One only needs to look at the PS1 and PS2 era to realize that total domination of a console in a generation is best for the gamers...not the industry mind you, but to gamers. that one dominating console gets all the games coz thats where everyone is playing. 

Some would argue that the Wii dominated like no ones business and yet it got crapy third party support. that is true, but one only needs to look at who actually bought the wii. the wii was eaten up by casuals and a bunch of non gaming people who just wanted to "party". the true games who bought the wii were actually the minority of the entire wii population.

no lets look at the ps360. both HD consoles when combined soled more games than the wii. so, why bother with the wii? 

honestly, i dont really care which console dominates, I may be a sony fanboy but i jump ship so often that its not funny. I go where the games are and if its on the xone, i'll jump on a boner, if its on the U, then lets have a wiipad party. 

bottom line, total domination ensures that that dominant console gets all of the games which is good for gamers. i could care less if the other losers belly up, as long as i get my game on. 

Dusk said:
Dr.Henry_Killinger said:

No, I don't buy that. Fanaticism is not inherently dangerous. People do reckless things because of fanaticism but these are still concious decisions. If a Fan of Brazil during the world cup commited Suicide cause of their loss to Germany, he still decided to do so. People react differently to the same thing and they are responsible for that reaction.

Likewise, people posting that they are happy because PS has 50% marketshare, are still responsible for their actions or their preferences. 

This human nature, people have different degrees of attachment based on investment(including time and energy) and concious decision.

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

ils411 said:
Dusk said:

A. Not all developers are tossed a bag of money by MS, NIntendo or Sony (wait, does nintendo even moneyhat?) and moneyhatting is done mostly to get outright exclusivity, timed exclusivity or exclusive content. Developers and Publishers are out to make money. getting money to cover development cost just to break even is not what I would call "paid for". your argument on moneyhatting is weak and irrelevant.

B. If a car had 4 standard wheels, then I took out the two front tires and replaced them with round pices of wood, would it still run just the same? No it will not. any game developer only has so many good talent that if they are working on two or three versions of a game either one version gets the best team of talent or these talents are split up into teams thus resulting in diminishing returns. 

C. It has happened before. Look at the PS1 and the PS2 era. both dominated and crushed the competition that both got exclusive games without spending a dime. with a single dominant console with the mass majority of the market share, games flurished. just look at how much shovelware the ps1 and the ps2 and even the wii got. tons and tons of shovelware. why? total domination allowed for game developers to only focus on one platform and not have to work about picking the "right" console to support. with just one uber dominant console, they can just go with the flow and make games for the playstation.

D. it isnt sony's falt that nintendo and ms sucked balls with all the stupid mistakes they made on the wii u and the xbone. so, no, there is no monopoly breaking law here. 

One only needs to look at the PS1 and PS2 era to realize that total domination of a console in a generation is best for the gamers...not the industry mind you, but to gamers. that one dominating console gets all the games coz thats where everyone is playing. 

Some would argue that the Wii dominated like no ones business and yet it got crapy third party support. that is true, but one only needs to look at who actually bought the wii. the wii was eaten up by casuals and a bunch of non gaming people who just wanted to "party". the true games who bought the wii were actually the minority of the entire wii population.

no lets look at the ps360. both HD consoles when combined soled more games than the wii. so, why bother with the wii? 

honestly, i dont really care which console dominates, I may be a sony fanboy but i jump ship so often that its not funny. I go where the games are and if its on the xone, i'll jump on a boner, if its on the U, then lets have a wiipad party. 

bottom line, total domination ensures that that dominant console gets all of the games which is good for gamers. i could care less if the other losers belly up, as long as i get my game on. 

Anything that they sell beyond what is already covered is pure profit as opposed to having to cover the entire cost of development as well as marketing, producing, distribution and the other costs associated with it. As I said, that way there is no risk involved. You don't need to agree.

Yes, every company does it in one way or another. Nintendo does the same thing, or similar, with the likes of Bayo 2, Devil's Third, and works much the same way as like Smash where they cover the cost for development but have someone else develop the game with close supervision or help and cooperation to get the game developed. 

They will just save money on development and use less people to get it done, not more making better quality because that wouldn't mean as much profit for them. Likely a lot of developers will find themselves out of work because there likely won't be more games, publishers will just put out what ever crap they feel like putting out with nobody to stop them because with a lack of games people will either buy them or not and there won't be any choice left in the matter to try another console. 

I didn't say it was a monopoly yet, but playstation is certainly dominating. If this does continue it COULD become a monopoly. In some ways it kind of is already. It makes no difference as to the reasons why something happens, if a monopoly happens it happens. And again, there is a reason that laws are in place for that kind of thing. 

In many ways the industry was better during that time. It was healthy enough that many studios were flourishing, much because it cost a lot less for a game to hit the shelves plus there were quite a few good mediums that got the info out about the games (not that there isn't now, but it's far more directed now). 

Making excuses for "who" buys consoles is BS as to the whole dominance argument. It certainly garnered massive interest from loads of different people, but there is however when you look at the statistics of what people do with their consoles. The amound of media and the like that has been increasing due to the massive amount of usage showing that people are doing far more than just gaming on their consoles. Of course two consoles that equal 160 million users (roughly) is going to be more than a single console that has sold 100 million. That's like saying you are surprised that the PS4 is selling more games than the X1 when it has an 80% larger user base. 

Then keep on enjoying gaming. Were you alive during the Atari era?

Dr.Henry_Killinger said:
Dusk said:

No, I don't buy that. Fanaticism is not inherently dangerous. People do reckless things because of fanaticism but these are still concious decisions. If a Fan of Brazil during the world cup commited Suicide cause of their loss to Germany, he still decided to do so. People react differently to the same thing and they are responsible for that reaction.

Likewise, people posting that they are happy because PS has 50% marketshare, are still responsible for their actions or their preferences. 

This human nature, people have different degrees of attachment based on investment(including time and energy) and concious decision.

Of course they are responsible for their actions, when did I say they weren't? 

Of course they do. I think the difference here is our view of this. To me it seems completely rediculous to be excited in a personal way for the PS4 to get 50% market share. I legitimately don't understand it.