By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - what's with the lack of epic boss battle's these days?

I'm down with that. The overwhelming majority of boss battles throughout gaming history have been lame. How many of them break down to "find the weak spot and attack"? I'm honestly and truly over that. Even with RPGs, there is usually some trick you have to figure out or they use the tried and true method of just giving the boss a million hit points.

I think developers have realized that boss battles are usually the weakest part of their game and are looking for ways around that. Personally, I want the "last dungeon", so to speak, to be extra hard but I can do without an End Boss.

Edit:  I played WoW for years.  If you want to fight bosses all the time, there you go.  There are plenty of boss farming games out there.

Around the Network

Sunset overdrive last boss was epic :p

Burek said:

Far Cry 4 doesn't even have a QTE boss battle. It's only press a button or don't...
But I don't mind, if the rest of the game is good. Same as Dying Light.

I somehow equate epic boss battles to Japanese developers. Resident Evil, older Tomb Raider being a couple of franchises that had tough and exciting boss battles to end each chapter. And I love myself some epicness once in a while.

But in the end, it is not a feature that will make or break a game for me.

Yeah far cry 4 is another example of double standards in this industry.  Worst final boss ever.  

To answer the topic.  Kojima ran out of ideas. 

Zelda Twilight Princess had boss battle's down to a T in my opinion.

Fighting beast Ganon, possessed Zelda, Ganon on horseback and dueling with Ganon was a perfect progression from big to small.

This is the Game of Thrones

Where you either win

or you DIE

Around the Network

Bloodborne should solve this problem. Now if only we could get a checkpoint before them so I wouldn't have to go through those easy but lengthy levels beforehand and just face them repeatedly

Get Your Portable ID!Lord of Ratchet and Clank

Duke of Playstation Plus

Warden of Platformers

The Batman Arkham games have had boss battles, so I'd imagine that Arkham knight will have them too.

Also as platformmaster918 above me says, the souls games are famed for brutal boss fights so Bloodborne should be the same.

PS, PS2, Gameboy Advance, PS3, PSP, PS4, Xbox One

pokoko said:

I'm down with that. The overwhelming majority of boss battles throughout gaming history have been lame. How many of them break down to "find the weak spot and attack"? I'm honestly and truly over that. Even with RPGs, there is usually some trick you have to figure out or they use the tried and true method of just giving the boss a million hit points.

I think developers have realized that boss battles are usually the weakest part of their game and are looking for ways around that. Personally, I want the "last dungeon", so to speak, to be extra hard but I can do without an End Boss.

If you take out every enemy in video games that can be defeated by finding their weakness and attacking appropriately, you end up with a lot of walking simulators.

The trouble with completely forging a boss fight, even towards the very end of the game, is that games involve the player as a contributor towards events. Even if the final scenes include a climax for the story, there needs to be something similar for the players themselves.

Oddly enough, I think New Super Mario Bros Wii and Super Mario 3D World might good role models in this regard. Bosses have often been the worst part of Super Mario games (NSMB on the DS had a particularly lame ending), so these two games didn't have standard boss fights. They were just final levels based around Bowser relentlessly hunting down Mario, thus requiring platforming skills to survive. This basically combines the Final Dungeon with the main antagonist, creating a situation that works for both the story and gameplay.

Love and tolerate.

Please play more Japanese games

Platinum Games still revel in making awesome boss battles.

That picture posted for Bayonetta 2? Yeah, that's only the first boss of the first level.