By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - what's with the lack of epic boss battle's these days?

P4Golden: Margaret
MGS3: Boss
Bayonetta: Any boss
GoW3: Zeus
Binding of Isaac: Angel
Last of Us: gang leader dude
Most attractive User Competition: pbroy

Not every game has epic bosses. But they are out there.

Around the Network
shikamaru317 said:
artur-fernand said:
It just so happens that shooters are not the best genre for bosses. Since they're the most common genre nowadays, you do the math.

It doesn't have to be that way sadly. Halo 2 had an amazing final boss fight against Tartarus. It's a shame that more shooters haven't tried to emulate that. I remember Rage a few years back, that was one of the most dissapointing endings I've ever experienced in a game. Not only was there no final boss fight, but it seemed like the story was only half finished. You could practically see the board room decision at Zenimax to rush id and have them release the game early.

Good bosses in shooters are the exception quite frankly. Even an all-time classic like Doom suffers from it. Cyberdemon was pretty intense, but other than that (especially the lackluster final boss). I think it's understandable on this genre, it's probably very difficult to do something epic. Even the best shooters from the best developers kinda suffer (Uncharted 1 and 3 comes to mind. U2 had a cool final boss imo).

But now that I think about it, it's not like uninteresting bosses are the norm just nowadays. Back in the 8/16-bit era, platformers were the most common genre, and they can possibly be worse than shooters in the bosses department. Even SUPER MARIO WORLD has crappy bosses (at least I think so). Yoshi's Island has awesome bosses though.

BraLoD said:
theprof00 said:

P4Golden: Margaret
MGS3: Boss
Bayonetta: Any boss
GoW3: Zeus
Binding of Isaac: Angel
Last of Us: gang leader dude
Most attractive User Competition: pbroy

Not every game has epic bosses. But they are out there.

MGS4 as well, that last boss battle was epic as shit.
GoW3 all bosses were epic! Not only Zeus, the game already start with that amazing battle against Poseidon!
And the lack of any Souls games boss here... go home bro, you are drunk

I actually couldn't remember the names of those bosses so I left it out T_T Forgive me BraLoD-niichan!

theprof00 said:
BraLoD said:

MGS4 as well, that last boss battle was epic as shit.
GoW3 all bosses were epic! Not only Zeus, the game already start with that amazing battle against Poseidon!
And the lack of any Souls games boss here... go home bro, you are drunk

I actually couldn't remember the names of those bosses so I left it out T_T Forgive me BraLoD-niichan!

I think it was the two old guys fighting, MGS1 did that better. I think MGS1 was one of the best boss fights, starting off with fighting REX.

badgenome said:
From Software stole them all.

I was about to say this. Basically there isn't one boss fight that isnt epic. And there are MANY bosses in each game.

...Let the Sony Domination continue with the PS4...
Around the Network
Acevil said:
theprof00 said:

I think it was the two old guys fighting, MGS1 did that better. I think MGS1 was one of the best boss fights, starting off with fighting REX.

wow

Tachikoma said:
Boss battles originated as an entertaining and challenging end, to replace a well made ending with a sense of accomplishment, when it was possible to start throwing in videos and such, end of game bosses slowly faded out and got replaced with video, an hours worth of credits, and sometimes, just sometimes, a smaller video after the credits to reward the people who didnt quit the game or turn off their consoles after getting bored and dizzy watching the credits.

Wrong boss battle originated to eat all your coins in the arcade. The original Pay to Win market :)

theprof00 said:
Acevil said:

wow

What I simplified the fight! :D

fluky-nintendy said:
badgenome said:
From Software stole them all.

I was about to say this. Basically there isn't one boss fight that isnt epic. And there are MANY bosses in each game.

Really? Outside False King Allant, I found the end-game bosses of Demon's Souls fairly disappointing. And on Dark Souls 2, they recycled waaaay too much.

Xenostar said:
Tachikoma said:
Boss battles originated as an entertaining and challenging end, to replace a well made ending with a sense of accomplishment, when it was possible to start throwing in videos and such, end of game bosses slowly faded out and got replaced with video, an hours worth of credits, and sometimes, just sometimes, a smaller video after the credits to reward the people who didnt quit the game or turn off their consoles after getting bored and dizzy watching the credits.

Wrong boss battle originated to eat all your coins in the arcade. The original Pay to Win market :)

End of game boss, not end of level boss.