By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - The order's 1886 first review 7,5/10

Uabit said:
KingdomHeartsFan said:

Who did the review?

A french magazine called JMV

Ain't it JVM (Jeux Video Magazine)?

Anyways, didn't read them for a long time since I felt their test being pretty biased (especially when it's a Nintendo game)

Around the Network
Barozi said:
binary solo said:
I am ok with QTEs, and I have no issue at all with the reviewer marking the game down because of them. But I find it odd that they lump QTE and cutscenes together in terms of game time. QTEs are gameplay so should not be added to cutscenes to differentiate active vs passive time in a game. That you don't like QTEs is not a reason to equate them with cut scenes.
7hrs long is short. That's the sort of game length you come to expect from a fps that considers its principal game mode to be MP. Glad it's not the 5 hours being trolled on the internet, but still disappointing that a reviewer got through the game in 7.
7.5 is a decent score and the pros are not just about visuals.

I know lots of games where you can't sit back while watching cutscenes, because they have QTEs in them.
If this is one of the games (I don't really know) then it would make a lot of sense to include them. Obviously every other QTE that isn't part of a cutscene would hardly qualify and is next to impossible to calculate. I doubt they last very long and you'd need to write down how many times you did a QTE etc.

If a cutscene has QTEs in it then it isn't a cutscene, it's gameplay. That's IMO of course, as there is no law of the universe that can be invoked here. But to me a cutscene is totally passive from the gamer's perspective and requires no button pushing, stick moving or controller waggling. If a cut scene is 1 minute long and there is a single QTE event lasting a second or two then sure, you have 58 seconds of cut scene. But if there is a 1 minute game segment with a few QTEs spread through the segment but the characters are being autocontrolled that's gameplay to me.

I have a bit of a dilemma. I was not planning to pay new release price for this game unless it got excellent word of mouth and reviews, which it probably won't in the review department at least. But AAA new release games go for $100+ here. I can buy the Order locally for $89, and I can get it off a speciality online game retailer for $77. In terms of game value in my country $77 is a reasonable price, it is almost a 25% discount on typical new release price, and if the game launched at normal new release price and was $77 a few months later I would probably buy it without a second thought. But I'm not sure. If the game is this discounted pre-launch, it might be $50 within the space of a few months.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

true_fan said:
7.5 sounds too high based on the cons listed. The amount of time you spend watching the game is nearly as much time as you are playing the game, shameful.

It's shameful for a game with a strong focus on being cinematic to have a lot of cinematic? Huh.

That gameplay!!

Don't know where this all out hate for QTE's came from.

"Say what you want about Americans but we understand Capitalism.You buy yourself a product and you Get What You Pay For."  

- Max Payne 3

Around the Network

Given the insane amount of negativity towards the game 7.5 almost seems like a good score. Some are already dissapointed it didn't score lower. I guess they'd prefer a 5 maybe even a 4. I don't think anyone truly thinks the game is that bad.

I predict that the Wii U will sell a total of 18 million units in its lifetime. 

The NX will be a 900p machine

I don't really know a game where I loved the QTE's...

Zekkyou said:
true_fan said:
7.5 sounds too high based on the cons listed. The amount of time you spend watching the game is nearly as much time as you are playing the game, shameful.

It's shameful for a game with a strong focus on being cinematic to have a lot of cinematic? Huh.

You don't think The Order went a bit overboard with the "cinematics" as you say?

This score surprises me...

kowenicki said:

There is bad use of QTE's and there is the good use of QTE's

Just panning it for having QTE's would be wrong imo. But they seem to be saying they are obtrusive and clunky. 

Anyhow, "ambientation"?.... ambience?

ambientation is the process by which you create ambience...maybe? Or is that ambification?

You are dead right that there is good and bad QTE. I guess there is also too much use of QTE even if it is well executed.

You'd think developers who want to make a well received game know by now that QTEs must be used judiciously or the game will get panned for over-use or poor execution of QTEs. So if The Order ends up being a game that does QTE's badly, or too much, then that really calls into question RaD's basic competence in  game design.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix