By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Clearing up a major misconception about PowerPC

Tachikoma said:

as far as x86 instruction sets go,  the ps4 cpu outperforms the cell completely. 

Isn't that kind of a given, since PS4's CPU is x86 and the Cell isn't?

Around the Network
Tachikoma said:
WolfpackN64 said:

That's the point of the Cell, it could handle both tasks. In pure CPU performance, the cell outperforms the PS4 CPU. It's the 18 GPU compute cores that make the PS4 so powerfull, ehile the Nvidia GPU included in the PS3 was even for its time, rather weak

But thats a completely unrelated issue,  and doesn't support what youre saying at all,  and cell wasnt designed to be "cpu"  it was designed to be a multitasking processor that combines the two,  so its only natural that it would outperform,  in numbers,  a cpu designed only to do one thing,  but the real kicker is,  as far as x86 instruction sets go,  the ps4 cpu outperforms the cell completely. 

What exactly makes the x86 isa superior to the cell isa? And how can a different isa outperform another cpu, especially in this case?

The Jaguar outperforms Cell in most things, except for brute force floating point performance. Aside from that Cell in its PS3 version has tons of issues.

As for the Wii U CPU, even if it's unchanged except for the Cache, the PPC core itself still isn't actually bad. But with three cores and just 1.2GHz it's to slow.
Would've preferred a 1.6GHz quadcore. A modern x86 still would have been better than the old 750, but Wii U would have much less issues even with a faster PPC.

That said, if you go and cdompare different systems, Wii U and PS4 have an audio processor. PS3 had to do all audio stuff on the CPU.
Wii U and PS4 are intended to do more on the GPU. Stuff that was intended to be done by the CPU on PS3.

walsufnir said:
Tachikoma said:

But thats a completely unrelated issue,  and doesn't support what youre saying at all,  and cell wasnt designed to be "cpu"  it was designed to be a multitasking processor that combines the two,  so its only natural that it would outperform,  in numbers,  a cpu designed only to do one thing,  but the real kicker is,  as far as x86 instruction sets go,  the ps4 cpu outperforms the cell completely. 

What exactly makes the x86 isa superior to the cell isa? And how can a different isa outperform another cpu, especially in this case?

Will go into that in depth later when i get home,  but for now ill say,  my point is that cell isnt x86, thendifference between the two is massive and so comparing their performance isn't clear cut. 

The op brings it up but there's no point in doing so,  because the difference in powerpc processors across the gc,  wii,  and wiiu is much less (still quite different,  but nowhere near as different as cell to x86.

To sumarize the other part though,  the queuing releif from moving gpu bound functions to a different processor frees up a lot of time in the cpu,  cell was prone to starving itself in one or the other and resulting in the performance dropping for both,  because of how it cascaded workload,  its why porting from other platforms was such a pain in the ass and why most games generally ran a lot better on 360.

People like to point out final fantasy runniny better on ps3 but the fact is simply,  had they not rushed the port it would have been better on 360.

Tlou is a result of a balancing act between bound functions,  with the practice they had doing yhe uncharted series. 

Excuse spelling,  train is bumpy as hell today

WhiteEaglePL said:
Interesting way of putting that.
But I still think it should be the same as PS/XB so its easier to develop for by 3rd parties.

As a programmer I can say you, that the CPU-architecture these days is of nearly no concern for the programmer. Games are programmed mostly in C/C++ and the compiler completely handles the code-generation - it doesn't matter if it is ARM, x86 or PowerPC. Memory management (like unified memory) or stuff like that impacts a programmer much more.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Around the Network
SJReiter said:
fleischr said:
Good post.

Every time this topic comes around, there's always some moron who spouts a bunch of nonsense and puts out the myth that the WiiU's internals are exactly the same as the GameCube's.

The way I've always heard it described is:

Wii processor is an overclocked GameCube processor, Wii U processor is a reconfigured Wii processor, therefore the Wii U processor is an overclocked, reconfigured GameCube.

But the same is true for every x86 processor, they are in a way all overclocked and reconfigured 8086.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

Tachikoma said:
walsufnir said:

Will go into that in depth later when i get home,  but for now ill say,  my point is that cell isnt x86, thendifference between the two is massive and so comparing their performance isn't clear cut. 

The op brings it up but there's no point in doing so,  because the difference in powerpc processors across the gc,  wii,  and wiiu is much less (still quite different,  but nowhere near as different as cell to x86.

To sumarize the other part though,  the queuing releif from moving gpu bound functions to a different processor frees up a lot of time in the cpu,  cell was prone to starving itself in one or the other and resulting in the performance dropping for both,  because of how it cascaded workload,  its why porting from other platforms was such a pain in the ass and why most games generally ran a lot better on 360.

People like to point out final fantasy runniny better on ps3 but the fact is simply,  had they not rushed the port it would have been better on 360.

Tlou is a result of a balancing act between bound functions,  with the practice they had doing yhe uncharted series. 

Excuse spelling,  train is bumpy as hell today

No problem :)

Both processors/architectures are just totally different in what they try to accomplish. By design Cell itself is more comparable to a GPU workload scenario than "general purpose" computing.

The PPC itself used in Nintendo's last 3 consoles is of course modified but the clock speed can't be brought higher due to architectural reasons. And IIRC it still has the same short pipeline (7 stages, iirc) and thus it is still a 970 ppc while adjusted for more performance. It's a slow car with racing stripes ;)

To Final Fantasy: Yes, of course that's what is used in forum discussions but the port was rushed and the result was still ok for this, in my opinion. Could've been better, for sure.

To TlOu:

The game is definitely a looker but we should keep a few things in mind:

- it's far from running 30 fps locked. 

- Naughty Dog is able to use a lot of resources for one game, meaning: they are first party, they get a lot of money to develop with and for, they have more time to optimize and finetune a game. And of course the game still had technical downsides, still it was amazing what they accomplished. But we also have to say no 3rd party game comes close to what ND did and this is not only because they are "Naughty Gods" but a bunch of talented people (which other companies have, too) where the whole environment gives them the opportunity to reach a level not many can get to.

The same applies to Halo 4 on 360, in my opinion. The game is on a level many aren't able to achieve as they have to switch teams, have brutal deadlines, work on code for several systems... But now I am getting way off-topic :)

Mnementh said:
SJReiter said:
fleischr said:
Good post.

Every time this topic comes around, there's always some moron who spouts a bunch of nonsense and puts out the myth that the WiiU's internals are exactly the same as the GameCube's.

Wii processor is an overclocked GameCube processor, Wii U processor is a reconfigured Wii processor, therefore the Wii U processor is an overclocked, reconfigured GameCube.

But the same is true for every x86 processor, they are in a way all overclocked and reconfigured 8086.

No, not really. Modern x86 is compatible but works completely different (µ-ops, different pipelines, branch-prediction, totally different instructions,...).

Tachikoma said:
WolfpackN64 said:

That's where the PS4 and Xbox One bit themselves in the tail. The Xbox One isn't powerful enough to emulate the 360 without cloud support and the PS3's Cell Processor actually outperforms the PS4's CPU.

You realize, that the cell was handling both cpu instruction AND most of the heavy gpu functions right?
Split them up, like theyre meant to be, have the gpu handle gpu tasks and cpu do cpu tasks and the PS4 walks all over the PS3, perfornance wise.

I suspect you went headlong in to this thread with only googlesmarts and trendy nintendo forum soundbytes..

That's why Wolfpack said the Cell outperformed the PS4's CPU. He spoke in terms of emulation, that is made extremely difficult becuase of that. That the PS4 overall has a better performance as the PS3 is no question.

walsufnir said:
Mnementh said:
SJReiter said:
fleischr said:
Good post.

No, not really. Modern x86 is compatible but works completely different (µ-ops, different pipelines, branch-prediction, totally different instructions,...).

Yes, that is true. But you can say similar for Nintendos CPU. We know it is no vanilla PowerPC, at least in Gamecube and then again in Wii they added additional instructions. Probably the same is true for WiiUs CPU. We don't know much besides that, but it is more than possible that they overworked pipelines and branch-prediction too.