By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is PS4 bringing back once sucessful companies that were severely affected on the 7th gen?

The slight decline in FPS popularity and the full migration of casuals to mobile phones and tablets is good for us gamers. Hopefully we continue to see success for non FPS games like Infamous, SoM, and DA:I.

End of 2009 Predictions (Set, January 1st 2009)

Wii- 72 million   3rd Year Peak, better slate of releases

360- 37 million   Should trend down slightly after 3rd year peak

PS3- 29 million  Sales should pick up next year, 3rd year peak and price cut

Around the Network
bigjon said:
The slight decline in FPS popularity and the full migration of casuals to mobile phones and tablets is good for us gamers. Hopefully we continue to see success for non FPS games like Infamous, SoM, and DA:I.

Oh the casuals are still around in force; the two highest selling PS4 games are COD and FIFA, which thrive on casuals.

curl-6 said:
bigjon said:

Oh the casuals are still around in force; the two highest selling PS4 games are COD and FIFA, which thrive on casuals.

Your confusing mainstream with casual. Mainstream gamers might play alot but tend to play only blockbuster type games or games thier friends play . Casuals play games to kill time or for the social aspects.

End of 2009 Predictions (Set, January 1st 2009)

Wii- 72 million   3rd Year Peak, better slate of releases

360- 37 million   Should trend down slightly after 3rd year peak

PS3- 29 million  Sales should pick up next year, 3rd year peak and price cut

bigjon said:
curl-6 said:
bigjon said:

Your confusing mainstream with casual. Mainstream gamers might play alot but tend to play only blockbuster type games or games thier friends play . Casuals play games to kill time or for the social aspects.

Many, many people only play COD/FIFA to kill time or with friends for social reasons. They are very casual-friendly games.

d21lewis said:
My take on things? When a new gen begins, people are hungry for any new good game to play. The PS4 has the most users and people are looking for games to show off. As the library becomes more diverse and people do their usual thing, it will be harder and harder for games that can make a splash now to succeed.

It's been said that the beginning of a new gen is the best time for new IP. I agree. People are more open minded, now. Get in good now (Like Gears of War) and you'll have a fan for life. Pull a Lost Planet and people won't forgive you.

I 100% agree with this. With the start of a new gen people will look to buy anything simply to play it on their new console. So yes I believe devs will take more risks early on rather than later in a gen life cycle.

Australian Gamer (add me if you like)               
NNID: Maraccuda              
PS Network: Maraccuda           

Around the Network
Yafea said:
What I really like about this generation so far is the comeback of horror games. Something which was basically rare during the 7th generation.

It is good to see the genre coming back but last gen had quite a few horror games early on.

Siren Bloodcurse, Alan Wake, Cursed Mountain, Escape from Bug Island, a few Silent Hills. Its not like they didnt try to make horror games its just people would rather 3 CoD games to every horror game.

bigjon said:
curl-6 said:

Well, Id say COD and Fifa are both casual and mainstream games.

Time will tell I guess, but the 8th gen has been a bit underwhelming for me!

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

The_Sony_Girl1 said:
daredevil.shark said:
The_Sony_Girl1 said:

Valve, id Software, and Midway had teams that would be considered indie level today

You didnt get my point, did you? All b.ig companies were indie at some point. My point was after consoles have established themselves as big game seller and when almost everyone were big developers (who expanded) Sony showed support to these small wanabe developers.

I don't remember Sony selling any homebrew games though. 

Hahaha, that's because you're so young. :D

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

thismeintiel said:
Yafea said:
What I really like about this generation so far is the comeback of horror games. Something which was basically rare during the 7th generation.

True that, yo!  LOL.  The best part is that the newer horror games (for the most part) are focusing way more on the atmosphere, which is true horror, and not the random jump scares.  Take the Silent Hill franchise, for example.  The SH games from PS1 and the PS2 gens were mostly about creepy atmosphere, with a couple jump scares, and your character not being the best at combat.  The ones from last gen mostly focus on jump scares and combat, with very little effort into going into creating a truly engrossing, creepy atmosphere.  Kojima and Del Toro seem to be correcting that with SHs, if PT is anything to go off of.

Maraccuda said:
Yafea said:

It is good to see the genre coming back but last gen had quite a few horror games early on.

Siren Bloodcurse, Alan Wake, Cursed Mountain, Escape from Bug Island, a few Silent Hills. Its not like they didnt try to make horror games its just people would rather 3 CoD games to every horror game.

They were some horror games, but they were lacking or changed thier style to appeal to the masses. Silent Hill has shifted from the japanese team to an american one and turned into a pardoy if it's former self. Same goes with resident Evil which turned into a COD/Gears of war crossover but with zombies. Some games has shifted from their home console to another one and became very niche (Fatal Frame moved from PS and X-Box to wii) and doesn't help with the rise of so called "horror games" which were either a jump scare festivaval or just pure gore Ex: all those indie horror games. The only horror game that I can remember enjoying while playing last generation were Siren: Blood curse and the HD remaster of Silent Hill 2 & 3. This generation so far has made the return of actual horror games from big publishers with Alien Isolation and Evil within to some degree. Not to mention the upcming Silent Hills, which is returning to japanese devlopers held by Kojimna himself and Del Toro. Sorry for my long ranting, but I didn't know how to right a short version of my response.

Follow me on Instagram : YAFEAXX