By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is PS4 bringing back once sucessful companies that were severely affected on the 7th gen?

Well its going to get a lot of indie titles. That's for sure...

Around the Network

just look at games like shadow of mordor hitting 2M already on PS4. Or LBP 1M or Driveclub 1.5M. Then you have Far Cry 4 at 3M and Dragon age over 1M already. PS4 will help a lot of publishers and devs get back in the game with the awesome software sales. Even The Crew is about to pass 1 million.

Blob said:

If anything companies like capcom and square enix making the games that people want simply comes down to the realisation that what they were doing wasn't working for them. None of this has anything to do with the ps4...

Maybe you're right or maybe they now know what their gamers want. But yeah, that's a valid way to look at things as well.

KLXVER said:
Well its going to get a lot of indie titles. That's for sure...

If those indies are games like Outlast, No Man's Sky, Rime or Wild that people like the brand them as indies, to me these are mid-tier games.

...Let the Sony Domination continue with the PS4...

I doubt it. Companies no longer take risks simply because of the cost of development and its not like PS4 is the cheapest to develop for either, easiest? Possibly.

Look at the developer that made Murdered: Soul Suspect. Barely a few weeks after its release the company closed down.

Australian Gamer (add me if you like)               
NNID: Maraccuda              
PS Network: Maraccuda           

LOL what? it was the devs choice to go casual and make shovelware.

They didn't have to do that last gen. The hardware was there to make games and there was plenty of them last gen that still entertained the core gamer.

ATM all we are seeing is HD remakes and yearly releases playing it safe with some new games here and there.

Around the Network
thatguymarco said:
 Gone are the days that gaming tried to be overly generic just to appeal to the masses!

Frankly, that's about all I've seen from the 8th gen so far. The bold standout titles that made last gen exciting just aren't there.

TheSpindler said:

You're seeing what you want to see OP. If anything we are feeling the effects of last gen. Big studios working on big games, while indies do their thing, and mid-tier now pretty much dead.

Costs for development haven't gone down, they've gone up, and it's riskier to launch games.

The PS4 is continuing where the Xbox 360 left off, with of course better Japanese support. Although, with Japanese console devs hedging their bets on the struggling PS4 in Japan, I'm not too sure that'll work out well. When FF and MGS hits or maybe DQ, we'll see if it can recover.

The era of PS!/PS2 variety in console games is long gone. There are a few indie devs bringing some stuff back, but its them mostly mining nostalgia even worse than Nintendo does.

The 360's marketshare was primarily based off the marketshare Sony built themselves off of Nintendo. Microsoft hasnt built the industry as much as those two companies have. Third party games tend to be more abundant especially in an exclusive sense on Sony consoles and if you look at the past consoles that is a huge indicator. The sales have a greater spread amongst genre.

RolStoppable said:
That's a satirical OP, right?

Likely so, but that shouldn't stop us from having a good conversation about the subject.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

RolStoppable said:
That's a satirical OP, right?

Yeah, I'm getting paid to write this.

But in reality no.  Things are just going to get back to their natural state, I believe. People just aren't so much obsessed around FPSs and gimmicky stuff that marked for the most part of the 7th gen. Indies (that aren't really indies like homemade-indies used to be) are replacing and becoming the mid-tier games we used to know. What is so ironic about it? Big companies will also start to do more lower cost games if these games keep selling a lot as we are seeing [games like Child of Light, Journey, Shovel Knight, Outlast and so on].

...Let the Sony Domination continue with the PS4...
daredevil.shark said:
Mad55 said:
daredevil.shark said:

Playstation always helped third party companies. During NES days Nintendo was very strict about how many copies can third party companies make (they had valid reasons). But later Nintendo became too bossy. This is why all companies helped Sega. Then came Playstation which was savior of the market. PS4 is like PS1. Making path for big companies and indie developers (Playstation 1 gave birth indie developers) for their usul and innovative titles.

Im not sure about that. Theres been small studios before the ps1.

Not a game, the Net Yaroze was a development suite designed around the original PlayStation game console for indie game designers to create and play their own games. The limitations of the system kept the unit from becoming much more than a hobbyist's machine (users could not run or burn discs, and had to fit the game code inside the machine's RAM), but the unit's power and access to the PlayStation chipset as well as the helpful instructions and development community built around Yaroze allowed game designers to make impressive demos on the machine. Designers would make their games on a PC, then transfer them to PS1 and play them on the Net Yaroze. Competitions and conferences were held for the Yaroze community, and several of the games made on the system led to bigger things for the developers -- the creator of Ape Escape got his job through his work with Yaroze, the game Devil Dice (aka XI) was originally a Yaroze experiment, and some of the games made with Yaroze were distributed on CD-ROM as bonuses on special issues of the US and UK PlayStation Underground demo disc series.

Included in the Net Yaroze package was a special PlayStation game system (built to network with a PC for game code, in a custom black casing), a set of matching black controllers, standard AV and power cables, a PlayStation boot disc, a PC development kit software package CD-ROM, a PS1 key to unlock the machine (plugged into the Memory Card slot), a serial cable to connect the PS1 and PC, and various instruction sets.

The Net Yaroze was available through mail-order in Japan, and was also available through universities in Europe and the US.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Net_Yaroze

Source: http://www.ign.com/games/net-yaroze/ps-896838

Valve, id Software, and Midway had teams that would be considered indie level today.

Bet with Xander XT: 

I can beat more games on his 3DS than he can on my PSVita in a month. Loser has to buy the winner a game on his/her handheld Guess who won? http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=193531

Me!