By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is PS4 bringing back once sucessful companies that were severely affected on the 7th gen?

TheSpindler said:

You're seeing what you want to see OP. If anything we are feeling the effects of last gen. Big studios working on big games, while indies do their thing, and mid-tier now pretty much dead.

Costs for development haven't gone down, they've gone up, and it's riskier to launch games.

The PS4 is continuing where the Xbox 360 left off, with of course better Japanese support. Although, with Japanese console devs hedging their bets on the struggling PS4 in Japan, I'm not too sure that'll work out well. When FF and MGS hits or maybe DQ, we'll see if it can recover.

The era of PS!/PS2 variety in console games is long gone. There are a few indie devs bringing some stuff back, but its them mostly mining nostalgia even worse than Nintendo does.

i don't quite agree with you. Last gen their were indie games no doubt but the divide was great. We basically just had AAA and A games. Their was practically zero AA console games. 

This gen we already have AA games like No mans sky, Time, The witness, Everyone's gone to the rapture...etc. And we are having more Japanese interest and upcoming games than most of what we got in the whole of last gen already.

I dunno, but I think it would be some sort of denial to not admit that things this gen are so far Mich much different from what we endured all of last gen. 

Around the Network
Intrinsic said:
TheSpindler said:

You're seeing what you want to see OP. If anything we are feeling the effects of last gen. Big studios working on big games, while indies do their thing, and mid-tier now pretty much dead.

Costs for development haven't gone down, they've gone up, and it's riskier to launch games.

The PS4 is continuing where the Xbox 360 left off, with of course better Japanese support. Although, with Japanese console devs hedging their bets on the struggling PS4 in Japan, I'm not too sure that'll work out well. When FF and MGS hits or maybe DQ, we'll see if it can recover.

The era of PS!/PS2 variety in console games is long gone. There are a few indie devs bringing some stuff back, but its them mostly mining nostalgia even worse than Nintendo does.

i don't quite agree with you. Last gen their were indie games no doubt but the divide was great. We basically just had AAA and A games. Their was practically zero AA console games. 

This gen we already have AA games like No mans sky, Time, The witness, Everyone's gone to the rapture...etc. And we are having more Japanese interest and upcoming games than most of what we got in the whole of last gen already.

I dunno, but I think it would be some sort of denial to not admit that things this gen are so far Mich much different from what we endured all of last gen. 

What is the criteria for an AA game?  Bet I can name 100.

Intrinsic said:
TheSpindler said:

Hmm... If we take a look at last gen, I believe Wii had lots of 3rd party "AA" games, so saying there was a lack of "AA" is pretty much as off as it could be. I think this is why people seem to be sceptic about the "AA" games, as with the rising dev costs, the gap is likely just to widen. If indie devs are able to fill the void, good for them, but they're going to run into problems with how to fund their projects, as did many studios last gen.

Basically all the "AA" games need to fight an uphill battle against heavily marketed "AAA" games.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

Intrinsic said:
TheSpindler said:

Well, A and AA titles went almost (if not entirely) digital, creating a sense of lack of variety. From the 3rd to the 6th gen, if you wanted to make a game, you had to sell it through retail, but now there's digital, cheaper, cleaner, faster and more widespread.

But yeah, now small and medium titles are prefering PC over consoles. Almost every indie that makes a game exclusively for a console also makes it for PC.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Isn't succesfull compagny mean compagny with great sales

PS4 - over 100 millions let's say 120m
Xbox One - 70m
Wii U - 25m

Vita - 15m if it will not get Final Fantasy Kingdoms Heart and Monster Hunter 20m otherwise
3DS - 80m

Around the Network
daredevil.shark said:
The_Sony_Girl1 said:

Valve, id Software, and Midway had teams that would be considered indie level today

You didnt get my point, did you? All b.ig companies were indie at some point. My point was after consoles have established themselves as big game seller and when almost everyone were big developers (who expanded) Sony showed support to these small wanabe developers.

I don't remember Sony selling any homebrew games though. 

Bet with Xander XT: 

I can beat more games on his 3DS than he can on my PSVita in a month. Loser has to buy the winner a game on his/her handheld Guess who won? http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=193531

Me!

curl-6 said:
thatguymarco said:
 Gone are the days that gaming tried to be overly generic just to appeal to the masses!

Frankly, that's about all I've seen from the 8th gen so far. The bold standout titles that made last gen exciting just aren't there.

Which games? I pretty much hated last gen because of all the generic games we got, games like Gears of War, Killzone, Forza-Grand Turismo (samething), Call of Duty, Battlefield, Halo, Need for Speed, 3rd and 1st person shooters with absolutely NO INTERSTING SPIN ON THINGS and generic racing games absolutely dominated the market last gen, they still have their place this gen, but we're starting to see a lot more of variaty when it comes to AAA experiences compared to last gen, Sony seems to be trying to make Bloodborne a thing, I predict that they'll hype the new Ratchet and Clank when the announce the movie's release date, and Microsoft has gotten at least 10 times better when it comes to producing interesting tittles. We have yet to see other, 3rd publishers go out of their comfort zone, but I guess that if someone were to take the first step, those guys would be Sony and Microsoft.

I'm now filled with determination.

thatguymarco said:
curl-6 said:
thatguymarco said:
 Gone are the days that gaming tried to be overly generic just to appeal to the masses!

Frankly, that's about all I've seen from the 8th gen so far. The bold standout titles that made last gen exciting just aren't there.

Which games? I pretty much hated last gen because of all the generic games we got, games like Gears of War, Killzone, Forza-Grand Turismo (samething), Call of Duty, Battlefield, Halo, Need for Speed, 3rd and 1st person shooters with absolutely NO INTERSTING SPIN ON THINGS and generic racing games absolutely dominated the market last gen, they still have their place this gen, but we're starting to see a lot more of variaty when it comes to AAA experiences compared to last gen, Sony seems to be trying to make Bloodborne a thing, I predict that they'll hype the new Ratchet and Clank when the announce the movie's release date, and Microsoft has gotten at least 10 times better when it comes to producing interesting tittles. We have yet to see other, 3rd publishers go out of their comfort zone, but I guess that if someone were to take the first step, those guys would be Sony and Microsoft.

For me, games like Wii Sports, Mario Galaxy, Bioshock, Assassin's Creed, etc felt fresh and exciting when they arrived last gen. This gen, pretty much everything feels like the same old games we played last gen, just with shinier graphics.

curl-6 said:
thatguymarco said:
curl-6 said:
thatguymarco said:

For me, games like Wii Sports, Mario Galaxy, Bioshock, Assassin's Creed, etc felt fresh and exciting when they arrived last gen. This gen, pretty much everything feels like the same old games we played last gen, just with shinier graphics.

I get what you're saying, but can't help to differ, I think that we'll be seeing a lot more interesting tittles in the future, mainly on MS side since they got a gigantic wallet that Phil Spencer doesn't feel shame in stabbing and the PS4 being a lot more popular with Xbox trying to make itself more worth owning.

I'm now filled with determination.

thatguymarco said:
curl-6 said:

I get what you're saying, but can't help to differ, I think that we'll be seeing a lot more interesting tittles in the future, mainly on MS side since they got a gigantic wallet that Phil Spencer doesn't feel shame in stabbing and the PS4 being a lot more popular with Xbox trying to make itself more worth owning.

It's still early days, so this could all change, I was simply talking about "so far".