By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is PS4 bringing back once sucessful companies that were severely affected on the 7th gen?

d21lewis said:
GTAexpert said:
d21lewis said:
My take on things? When a new gen begins, people are hungry for any new good game to play. The PS4 has the most users and people are looking for games to show off. As the library becomes more diverse and people do their usual thing, it will be harder and harder for games that can make a splash now to succeed.

It's been said that the beginning of a new gen is the best time for new IP. I agree. People are more open minded, now. Get in good now (Like Gears of War) and you'll have a fan for life. Pull a Lost Planet and people won't forgive you.

People are equally open-minded near the end of a gen, look at God Of War and The Last Of Us.

Equally?

Yeah equally. It just has to be a very good game, like the ones I mentioned. If you disagree, look at the sales of those two games and you'll know.

Around the Network

What I really like about this generation so far is the comeback of horror games. Something which was basically rare during the 7th generation.

Follow me on Instagram : YAFEAXX

fluky-nintendy said:
Blob said:

If anything companies like capcom and square enix making the games that people want simply comes down to the realisation that what they were doing wasn't working for them. None of this has anything to do with the ps4...

Maybe you're right or maybe they now know what their gamers want. But yeah, that's a valid way to look at things as well.

KLXVER said:
Well its going to get a lot of indie titles. That's for sure...

If those indies are games like Outlast, No Man's Sky, Rime or Wild that people like the brand them as indies, to me these are mid-tier games.

I think this is a problem in recent years, and why people just assume the mid-tier games are gone.  They truly aren't.  Many just switched to online distribution to save money, which, unfortunately, caused many to just lump into the HUGE category that is indie games.  Many of these games are technically indies in the sense that the devs are independently owned, but in terms of scale, their games are definitely the mid-tier games of today.  There are also mid-tier physical releases, which Bound By Flame is the first to come to mind, and I'm sure there are others.

@OP

I think the success of the PS4 will definitely lead to a little more diversity in gaming.  It will definitely lead to Japanese devs/pubs taking more risks in porting their games over to NA, since they'll have a larger PS install base to sell to. 

Yafea said:
What I really like about this generation so far is the comeback of horror games. Something which was basically rare during the 7th generation.

True that, yo!  LOL.  The best part is that the newer horror games (for the most part) are focusing way more on the atmosphere, which is true horror, and not the random jump scares.  Take the Silent Hill franchise, for example.  The SH games from PS1 and the PS2 gens were mostly about creepy atmosphere, with a couple jump scares, and your character not being the best at combat.  The ones from last gen mostly focus on jump scares and combat, with very little effort into going into creating a truly engrossing, creepy atmosphere.  Kojima and Del Toro seem to be correcting that with SHs, if PT is anything to go off of.

GTAexpert said:
d21lewis said:
GTAexpert said:
d21lewis said:
My take on things? When a new gen begins, people are hungry for any new good game to play. The PS4 has the most users and people are looking for games to show off. As the library becomes more diverse and people do their usual thing, it will be harder and harder for games that can make a splash now to succeed.

It's been said that the beginning of a new gen is the best time for new IP. I agree. People are more open minded, now. Get in good now (Like Gears of War) and you'll have a fan for life. Pull a Lost Planet and people won't forgive you.

People are equally open-minded near the end of a gen, look at God Of War and The Last Of Us.

Equally?

Yeah equally. It just has to be a very good game, like the ones I mentioned. If you disagree, look at the sales of those two games and you'll know.

Sorry about the quote tree, mods.  I'm on the phone. :(

Yeah, those two games were new IPs at the end of their gen (GoW in 2005 but close enough) as well as TLoU but those were two highly acclaimed games from very respected studios.  At the beginning of a gen, even some modestly reviewd games get great sales and exposure.  At the end of a gen, a lot of great games get buried.

It can be said all gen long.  Quality doesn't always equal sales but early on, a new game like Carnival Games, SSX, Dead Rising, Devil May Cry, etc. is likely to thrive.  New IPs at the end of a gen have a tougher time against established franchises.  

Twitter: @d21lewis

Around the Network
TheSpindler said:

You're seeing what you want to see OP. If anything we are feeling the effects of last gen. Big studios working on big games, while indies do their thing, and mid-tier now pretty much dead.

Costs for development haven't gone down, they've gone up, and it's riskier to launch games.

The PS4 is continuing where the Xbox 360 left off, with of course better Japanese support. Although, with Japanese console devs hedging their bets on the struggling PS4 in Japan, I'm not too sure that'll work out well. When FF and MGS hits or maybe DQ, we'll see if it can recover.

The era of PS!/PS2 variety in console games is long gone. There are a few indie devs bringing some stuff back, but its them mostly mining nostalgia even worse than Nintendo does.

i don't quite agree with you. Last gen their were indie games no doubt but the divide was great. We basically just had AAA and A games. Their was practically zero AA console games. 

This gen we already have AA games like No mans sky, Time, The witness, Everyone's gone to the rapture...etc. And we are having more Japanese interest and upcoming games than most of what we got in the whole of last gen already.

I dunno, but I think it would be some sort of denial to not admit that things this gen are so far Mich much different from what we endured all of last gen. 

Intrinsic said:
TheSpindler said:

You're seeing what you want to see OP. If anything we are feeling the effects of last gen. Big studios working on big games, while indies do their thing, and mid-tier now pretty much dead.

Costs for development haven't gone down, they've gone up, and it's riskier to launch games.

The PS4 is continuing where the Xbox 360 left off, with of course better Japanese support. Although, with Japanese console devs hedging their bets on the struggling PS4 in Japan, I'm not too sure that'll work out well. When FF and MGS hits or maybe DQ, we'll see if it can recover.

The era of PS!/PS2 variety in console games is long gone. There are a few indie devs bringing some stuff back, but its them mostly mining nostalgia even worse than Nintendo does.

i don't quite agree with you. Last gen their were indie games no doubt but the divide was great. We basically just had AAA and A games. Their was practically zero AA console games. 

This gen we already have AA games like No mans sky, Time, The witness, Everyone's gone to the rapture...etc. And we are having more Japanese interest and upcoming games than most of what we got in the whole of last gen already.

I dunno, but I think it would be some sort of denial to not admit that things this gen are so far Mich much different from what we endured all of last gen. 

What is the criteria for an AA game?  Bet I can name 100.

Twitter: @d21lewis

Intrinsic said:
TheSpindler said:

Hmm... If we take a look at last gen, I believe Wii had lots of 3rd party "AA" games, so saying there was a lack of "AA" is pretty much as off as it could be. I think this is why people seem to be sceptic about the "AA" games, as with the rising dev costs, the gap is likely just to widen. If indie devs are able to fill the void, good for them, but they're going to run into problems with how to fund their projects, as did many studios last gen.

Basically all the "AA" games need to fight an uphill battle against heavily marketed "AAA" games.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

Intrinsic said:
TheSpindler said:

Well, A and AA titles went almost (if not entirely) digital, creating a sense of lack of variety. From the 3rd to the 6th gen, if you wanted to make a game, you had to sell it through retail, but now there's digital, cheaper, cleaner, faster and more widespread.

But yeah, now small and medium titles are prefering PC over consoles. Almost every indie that makes a game exclusively for a console also makes it for PC.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Isn't succesfull compagny mean compagny with great sales

PS4 - over 100 millions let's say 120m
Xbox One - 70m
Wii U - 25m

Vita - 15m if it will not get Final Fantasy Kingdoms Heart and Monster Hunter 20m otherwise
3DS - 80m