By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Which Nintendo games would you not give their seal of Quality to?

new yoshi islands... i haven't finished and lost interest after 3 worlds.... never liked any yoshi games thou

Switch!!!

Around the Network

I don't think you know what Nintendos "Seal of Quality" stands for.
It literally is displayed on any game officially approved by Nintendo. This was done due to the video game crash prior to the NES which flooded the market with terrible games that did not even work. So the seal was to tell consumers that Nintendo approves this games content and assures that it will work on their hardware.

Just think of all the truly terrible games released decades ago that still got this seal, such as Superman 64..

The seal of quality doesnt really mean anything except that it's a licensed game for Nintendo. Another "fun" fact is that back in the days third party publishers were only allowed to release 5 games a year for the NES which is why bigger companies like Konami did shell corporations namely Ultra in the US and Palcom in Europe.

Every Pokemon game, the New Super Mario Bros games after Wii, and every other Wii something game.

I'm now filled with determination.

I see a lot of people rattling off games they don't like, rather than mentioning games that are of substandard quality from a development perspective...
The only Nintendo game that immediately comes to mind is Super Mario Sunshine...

Have a nice day...

Around the Network

People seem to not approve of Wii Party U but I love that, my friends and I play it all the time. While it is mostly a rehashed version of the Wii version, I think there are enough fun new mini games on it.

And love me some Wind Waker

Squeezol said:
Super Mario Galaxy. What an unfinished game. ;)

Don't forget about Metroid Prime and Super Mario World.. Gee, Nintendo surely loves making unfinished games!

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

I don't think most here know what the seal is meant for.... It was really meant for playable not a good game. Even that isn't necessarily all that, but basically it was a form of quality control because of the previous generation having such broken games. 

The seal was a reaction to the gaming crash which preceded the NES. Games were unplayeable and broken. Consumers had no trust. Consumers stopped buying games on consoles. That's all. It tells you that Nintendo actually looks to see if the games have game-breaking bugs and glitches.

Acevil said:

I don't think most here know what the seal is meant for.... It was really meant for playable not a good game. Even that isn't necessarily all that, but basically it was a form of quality control because of the previous generation having such broken games. 

We know--or at least I know I know--I'm just playing along with the premise.  Back in the day, the NES was so popular that you had companies like Tengen making Sega games for the NES or Color Dreams doing whatever the heck they wanted or unlicenesed peripherals.  The Nintendo Seal of Quality just meant the software/hardware worked and wouldn't damage your console.  I played a ton of broken unfinished games on the NES.

Later, it just became the "Nintendo Seal" and people were acting like all the shovelware on the Wii was a result of the lack of the words "of quality".  Just go with the thread and name the games you think aren't worthy of Nintendo's reputation for quality games!  It's fun!