By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Could Nintendo Buy the PlayStation Brand?

Nintendo buys PlayStation if Sony dies?

Yes, create a juggernaut! 208 69.33%

No, both are doomed 92 30.67%

Total:300

As Michael Jackson would say, "you are ignorant, saying this is ignorance" & that what I see all over the posts saying MS, Apple, Samsung would buy Playstation, as if japanese laws permit that, furthermore with conservative, nationalist, Abe in power! I get that playing in the phantasy of gaming worlds is great, but some in here need a reality check! The PS brand will remain japanese no matter what, just as Darwinianevolution posted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n29CicBxZuw

01001011 01101001 01110011 01110011 00100000 01101101 01111001 00100000 01110011 01101000 01101001 01101110 01111001 00100000 01101101 01100101 01110100 01100001 01101100 00100000 01100001 01110011 01110011 00100001

Around the Network

Nintendo should just expand/hire/develop more western studios than buy a whole company of studios. I'd like to see them work with the developers of Little Big Planet for their next "?" Maker title, though.

t3mporary_126 said:
Nintendo should just expand/hire/develop more western studios than buy a whole company of studios. I'd like to see them work with the developers of Little Big Planet for their next "?" Maker title, though.

The developers of LittleBigPlanet are Media Molecule, who are owned by Sony.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

I wouldn't even want them to buy PS even if they could since PS doesn't have that many good ips imo. Just buy ND and one or two more studios and thats about it really... No need to waste a shit ton of money

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Burek said:
I don't see that happening. I see a bigger possibility of Nintendo being bought out by someone like Samsung or Google.
Actually, the best fit would be Facebook buying Nintendo and putting all their games online with in-app purchases. That would be awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umDr0mPuyQc

Around the Network
Jizz_Beard_thePirate said:

I wouldn't even want them to buy PS even if they could since PS doesn't have that many good ips imo. Just buy ND and one or two more studios and thats about it really

Ugh x{

I doubt Nintendo could just buy Naughty Dog and continue their high quality development. Naughty Dog is a quality developer because of the resources and freedom provided by Sony. Nintendo would have them make Donkey Kong games just like Retro Studios is stuck with.

Usually I'd put down the complete list of great and not least highly diverse(!) IPs owned by Sony like Ratchet & Clank, Dark Cloud, EverQuest, Gran Turismo, Wild Arms, The Last of Us, MediEvil, Demon's Souls, Gravity Rush, Ico, LittleBigPlanet, MotorStorm, Syphon Filter, Tearaway, etc. but I don't know if you've even played half of them. It would be quite weird criticizing games you haven't played. :/

Mike_L said:
Jizz_Beard_thePirate said:

I wouldn't even want them to buy PS even if they could since PS doesn't have that many good ips imo. Just buy ND and one or two more studios and thats about it really

Ugh x{

I doubt Nintendo could just buy Naughty Dog and continue their high quality development. Naughty Dog is a quality developer because of the resources and freedom provided by Sony. Nintendo would have them make Donkey Kong games just like Retro Studios is stuck with.

Umm... Not really? When THQ went down for example,  many companies got to bid on the IPs and Developers they wanted and the same situation will happen here. And you do realize that Nintendo treats their developers with care right? That's why they delay their games multiple times until they are finished and are 100% working at launch. And retro can make whatever they want just like how Intelligent systems is making a new IP and it was their choice to make Donkey Kong and not something else. And if Nintendo bought ND, they would give them the same freedom and care as the rest of their developers

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

If Sony ever went out, Nintendo wouldn't touch Playstation. That's never happening. Maybe a company like Samsung would buy theme, but the Playstation brand has nothing to offer Nintendo, and even if it did, it's not worth the billions they'd be forking up to buy them. They build consoles under completely different conflicting design philosophies, and that's before the software.

Maybe Playstation and Nintendo complement each other externally, but they definitely wouldn't do so internally.

DerNebel said:
Do we have an estimate how much the Playstation brand is worth?

Maybe more than Sony overall. I somehow doubt Nintendo can pay enough to get the Playstation brand.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Mike_L said:

Ugh x{

Retro asked to make Donkey Kong because they were tired of making Metroid. They aren't forced to do anything.