By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Could Nintendo Buy the PlayStation Brand?

Nintendo buys PlayStation if Sony dies?

Yes, create a juggernaut! 208 69.33%

No, both are doomed 92 30.67%

Total:300

With reports of Sony doing so bad and losing money even more rapidly than Nintendo, Sony's death is almost inevitable. But, could Nintendo buy the PlayStation brand (or at least hire it's creators) so they could then own the brand and crush the gaming nation? Face it, Nintendo and Sony complete each other, and if Nintendo did this, it would be a win for everybody in the long run. Also, with the brand they'd get all devs, like Sucker Punch, Naughty Dog, etc.

Think. Nintendo sells tons of handhelds, but struggles more with consoles

Sony sells tons of consoles, but struggles hard with handhelds. (Half of the time)

Nintendo games have legs where Sony's don't, but Sony's consoles have legs where Nintendo's don't

So,

Guaranteed successful console+guaranteed successful handheld+consoles with legs+games with legs=IMMENSE PROFIT

8.2m Wii U's, 17.3m PS4's, and 10.1m XB1's.

If they combined, that would be 25.5+ Nintony consoles and probably even less Microsoft consoles sold, since a lot of people would flock to Sony seeing games like Mario, Zelda, Battlefield, and Uncharted on the same console. Handhelds would boost too and there would be almost no gaps between exclusives, with 2 different strong companies working.

XBOX ONE/Wii U/3DS/PC

RIP Iwata 12/6/1959-7/11/2015

Thanks for all the great memories!

Around the Network

I doubt that PS would be bought out, but if something like this does happen, other tech giants like Samsung/Google/MS/etc. would sure as hell bid more than Nintendo.

Nintendo wouldn't even be a contender if PlayStation was up for sale.

They try work togather back in the day. Nintendo pull 360 no scope on Sony. Karma strike back on nintendo. They been having eating last 8 gen. Do you think Sony want work togather again.

No way. Selling all your IPS to multiple companies would be the more smarter move than that.

Around the Network

I don't see that happening. I see a bigger possibility of Nintendo being bought out by someone like Samsung or Google.
Actually, the best fit would be Facebook buying Nintendo and putting all their games online with in-app purchases. That would be awesome.

Can you link some of those reports? I'm kinda dying to read them. The reports I've been able to gather is that many of the analyst out there have been raising estimates, as seen here:

http://www.streetinsider.com/rating_history.php?q=SNE

based on its current upgrade cycle. These upgrades happened before the cyber attacks, but even then there are those who say that its revenue growth will not be effected.

In terms of their profits outlook, they warned that soft cellphone sales would hurt sales and profits this year but their other divisions would not be changed.

Now let talk about Nintendo purchasing.

The playstation brand, in terms of sales, is still bigger than Nintendo. Nintendo revenue post the Wii has dropped off a cliff. At its height in 2009, Nintendo was a 16 billion dollar company, now its down to the 5.5 billion....see here

http://www.statista.com/statistics/216622/net-sales-of-nintendo-since-2008/

The playstation brand is still twice as big, even with all its problems.

Wasn't there a japanese law that unables big companies to be sold to non-japanese entities? What other japanese company would be able to buy the PS brand?

Also, if Sony was trying to sell the PS brand, that would mean Sony has gone completely bankrupt. The fate of playstation would be the last problem caused by such event.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

That would be the day i quit Playstation. Shudders...

bubblegamer said:
That would be the day i quit Playstation. Shudders...

^ if that happen do you want join the pc MASTERRACE. >.>