By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Game Launch Prices are a JOKE to the industry... Proof

qwertyDANIELqwerty said:

So Assassin's Creed Unity, we've already beat that horse to death long ago, but here is something about it once again.

Look at the amazon page right here 

http://www.amazon.com/Assassins-Creed-Unity-PlayStation-4/dp/B00J48MUS4/ref=zg_bs_videogames_1

If you are reading this at the present date, you'll notice it is not 10, not 20, but 30 DOLLARS OFF ORIGIONAL PRICE. Wow. That is a good deal, but it is also one of the worst things a game company can do that in the long run kills the industry partially. Why buy a game at launch when it is just going to have a cray ass sale like this? There seems to be no point in pre ordering a game either. Half off is a lot, especially for only being out for about a month. That is a joke. I get that Ubisoft wants it to sell like hotcakes, and it is, Xbox One Version and PS4 version are currently at #1 and #2 spot on amazon video game orders. However, it also at the same time burns a lot of money from then, becuse honestly, fans were probably gonna get the game eventually anyway no matter if it is on sale or not at all.

Other games have done this too, Just Dance 2015 (Recently Released and also by Ubisoft) Is only 20 bucks on select consoles... that is only 40 percent of what it was at launch.  Recently also their was a sale for Titanfall from 60 dollars to 20 dollars.... that is some serious sales, but it ruins the fun of getting a game at launch, it really does. 

I almost never pre order games anymore, unless it is a huge game for me like Smash Bros, that was the only game I got at launch all year, and even then I was reluctant on the situation.

This is why I never buy at release, much less pre-order. I get why other people do it; it's their money, not mine, and it doesn't really affect me. $60-$70 is the price to pay to get that bragging right; the opportunity to talk about the game with friends, and play ahead everyone else. I don't need that luxury. I'm fine waiting A YEAR before playing the game.

Oh there's only one game I actually pre-purchased: Guild Wars 2.

Around the Network

There are even more reasons to wait:
1) Bugs. Many games these days are released with bugs. A year down the line a lot already is patched, so you get the better game.
2) Hype. Some games are overhyped. Waiting for a metacritic-score to settle and for user-experiences can help you to avoid big disappointments.
3) PS+. Why buy the games, if I can play them for free.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Troll_Whisperer said:
In this industry, patience is rewarded. I never get games on day one, always wait for a drop. I don't think I'll see ACU for $30 again till next Christmas, so I got it and I'm gonna wait for patch 1.04 and others to fix the framerate. Meanwhile I got The Evil Within for $25 and Alien Isolation and SoM for $45 or so each.

Why get them on launch day when they are 25-60% cheaper a few weeks after launch?

That doesn't apply to Nintendo games...

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

MoHasanie said:
Nirvana_Nut85 said:
riderz13371 said:

Canadians have it even worse, we pay 70$ for games (I'm sure there are even higher prices in other areas).

Amen brotha! Not too mention it's closer to $80 once the 13% tax is applied.

When PS4 and X1 launched last year, were game prices $65 then too? I thought games only became $65 after the value of the Canadian dollar fell? 

Nope. They were $59.99. Nintendo games went up to $64.99 and most XBO/PS4 $69.99

" Rebellion Against Tyrants Is Obedience To God"

Eddie_Raja said:
Ljink96 said:
Nirvana_Nut85 said:
riderz13371 said:

Canadians have it even worse, we pay 70$ for games (I'm sure there are even higher prices in other areas).

Amen brotha! Not too mention it's closer to $80 once the 13% tax is applied.

Hey, I heard Canadians get free college education? Maybe that's why taxes are high over thar?

LOL the truth hurts!

No, just no. We do not have free education whatsoever, unless you are of aboriginal descent.

" Rebellion Against Tyrants Is Obedience To God"

Around the Network

Never bought day one or pre-release. None is usually available in Brazil. Most games I wait go down 40-50% for decent games, 80% for those that aren't very good (second hand 3 years after release). Only a handfull of games will make me fork full price.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

then why watch a movie if it will on the discount theaters after a month?
or dvd or blu ray in 15 mos?

why have sex now if you can have sex later....

why buy a book on launch if it will be on sale after 2 mos...

riderz13371 said:

With today's exchange rate if you pay 70 canadian $ it's worth 60.19 USD, I would say that on most days the canadian price is about the same as the US price once converted (except we pay more sales taxes in general)...

Now as a canadian, I would much rather pay 60 of my dollars for my games, as I have not bought a single full price game since the adjustment... my salary did not receive a comparable bump :-/

qwertyDANIELqwerty said:

If you are reading this at the present date, you'll notice it is not 10, not 20, but 30 DOLLARS OFF ORIGIONAL PRICE. Wow. That is a good deal, but it is also one of the worst things a game company can do that in the long run kills the industry partially. Why buy a game at launch when it is just going to have a cray ass sale like this? There seems to be no point in pre ordering a game either. Half off is a lot, especially for only being out for about a month. That is a joke. I get that Ubisoft wants it to sell like hotcakes, and it is, Xbox One Version and PS4 version are currently at #1 and #2 spot on amazon video game orders. However, it also at the same time burns a lot of money from then, becuse honestly, fans were probably gonna get the game eventually anyway no matter if it is on sale or not at all.

Other games have done this too, Just Dance 2015 (Recently Released and also by Ubisoft) Is only 20 bucks on select consoles... that is only 40 percent of what it was at launch.  Recently also their was a sale for Titanfall from 60 dollars to 20 dollars.... that is some serious sales, but it ruins the fun of getting a game at launch, it really does. 

Most games don't have price drops that early. Unity got it because they shipped millions and the reviewers and word of mouth impacted sales and now they are with extra stock. Just Dance 2015 is the same thing. Titanfall probably didn't reached their expectations too.

It's just simple math: everyone buying your game and the shipments sell fast? Keep price. Nobody buys and you have a lot of stock, discount it. It isn't game industry pricing, it's normal retail and economy laws.

That said, I don't see US$ 60 as an unfair price. I paid it for TLOU and I'm playing the game online since launch at least once a week. Compared with easy 20 or 30 bucks I expend on a regular restaurant or the 20 bucks for 2 hours of an IMAX movie, it doesn't look like a bad investment at all.

If I've really enjoyed a game, I've never regretted paying full price for it. Normally I don't pay full price for games I'm unsure off, I get them later down the line normally for 50%.

Games are priced fairly IMO, especially when you consider most people only get through 3-4 in a year.